Anyone have experience w/ long range fuel tanks?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got an email today from an off road outfit, was going to delete it as I'm not really looking for anything BUT they had an ad for aftermarket long range fuel tanks. All aluminum construction, so should be sturdy—for my Tacoma it's 33 gallons vs 21 for oe, substantially more.

I've just started planning a long trip through Canada and touring a chunk of Alaska, was thinking that extra capacity could come in handy.

They aren't giving them away ($2500) but if they actually work well (like stock) thought it just might be worth doing.

They make them for almost all makes/models so thinking someone might have some firsthand experience with one.

Thanks
Mike

I had one in a truck before. 52 instead of 32 if I remember right.

Diesel F250, it hung down about to where the skid plate was, but was steel so no skid plate.

Other than the cost and time to fill up, it was like factory.

Got an email today from an off road outfit, was going to delete it as I'm not really looking for anything BUT they had an ad for aftermarket long range fuel tanks. All aluminum construction, so should be sturdy—for my Tacoma it's 33 gallons vs 21 for oe, substantially more.

I've just started planning a long trip through Canada and touring a chunk of Alaska, was thinking that extra capacity could come in handy.

They aren't giving them away ($2500) but if they actually work well (like stock) thought it just might be worth doing.

They make them for almost all makes/models so thinking someone might have some firsthand experience with one.

Thanks
Mike
I have a 50gal TransferFlow tank. Big enough, but not so huge you can’t fit anything in the bed. Much nicer than a dozen jerry cans. Under $1700.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 24 gallon Long Range america 2nd tank in my Land Cruiser - takes the place of the spare. Quality product, works well and hasn’t been damaged off roading

Low profile slip tank plumbed into the fill neck of your stock fuel tank. Super easy to do yourself and significantly cheaper. However on a Tacoma you probably don’t have a lot of bed space to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
38 gallon on my tundra is nice. That stock taco tank is way too small and refills from a 5 gal can is a pain. I would do something different.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
One of the ranch trucks has an 85 gallon tank. Goes about 750 miles between fill ups. It replaced the stock tank before delivery. Highly recommend it for people that have the need. We also have several 40-55 gallon transfer tanks in other trucks. Not as handy if you plan on using the bed and they make a mess if you over fill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
Extra capacity making that drive will be nice especially of youre towing. I debated installing a S&B tank before my move up here from SC and wish I would have. Had to tap into my cans twice getting 9mph pulling a loaded 30ft trailer. Fuel in Canada is expensive will be nice to load up as much as you can before entering. Idk what youre mileage is. I was looking at more than doubling my capacity my 2017 powerstroke is only 25gal or so.

That said, to me $2500 is a lot for convenience.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys!

I have the short bed and it already is a little full- hi-lift jacket, shovel, traction boards and eventually another spare. So probably not the best option for me.

Convenience is one factor, but more important is having enough fuel not to run out in a remote area (especially with the boss onboard! :ROFLMAO:)

Idaboy

WKR
I live my 36gal factory f150 tank, wouid not go smaller. Adding aftermarket tank seems like PITA unless you have the space or really need 50+ gallons

crich

WKR
Thanks guys!

I have the short bed and it already is a little full- hi-lift jacket, shovel, traction boards and eventually another spare. So probably not the best option for me.

Convenience is one factor, but more important is having enough fuel not to run out in a remote area (especially with the boss onboard! :ROFLMAO:)
100%. The second I mention using a can to fill the truck my wife would probably side eye me with judgy face and thoughts about my lack of planning. Luckily it was just me and the pup. Fuel is available enough up the alcan and on the popular highways in AK that youll be fine. If you start venturing out thats a different story. If its a truck youre keeping long term and it doesnt hang down super low to cause ground clearance issues Id say pull the trigger especially with a small bed full of oh shit stuff.... plus wife stuff 😄