Anyone have experience w/ long range fuel tanks?

Ouzel

FNG
Got an email today from an off road outfit, was going to delete it as I'm not really looking for anything BUT they had an ad for aftermarket long range fuel tanks. All aluminum construction, so should be sturdy—for my Tacoma it's 33 gallons vs 21 for oe, substantially more.

I've just started planning a long trip through Canada and touring a chunk of Alaska, was thinking that extra capacity could come in handy.

They aren't giving them away ($2500) but if they actually work well (like stock) thought it just might be worth doing.

They make them for almost all makes/models so thinking someone might have some firsthand experience with one.

Thanks
Mike
Mike,
we‘ve had TITANS installed on 2 F-350 dually’, increased the fuel capacity to ~65 gallons, best thing we ever did. pulling a trailer, we can drive 600 miles and have a little cushion left. Downside is the fuel lasts longer than your kidneys LOL.
Also the TITAN does not extend lower than the original.
i have an 80 gallon in bed tool box/tank in my F-450, it was setup as such when i bought. But I much prefer the TITAN set up, less mess, hassle and we have the entire 8’ bed unencumbered. PM if you want more info.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
$2,500 would buy a lot of Jerry cans and fuel is readily available on the ALCAN.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
$2,500 would buy a lot of Jerry cans and fuel is readily available on the ALCAN.

Yeah I've concluded I'm going with a couple of cans :D

I'm looking at swing out spare holders that also can hold a can as well. I'm thinking wrestling a ~ 80 lb tire/wheel off a roof rack might be less than fun.

Going against the prevailing tire opinion here...

Having traveled nearly all of Alaska's remote gravel highways, and quite a few of Yukon's and NWT, I'd spend my payload budget on a jug of fuel over an extra spare if you already have 10 ply. Our gravel isn't as sharp as it is in some of the L48 states, and I've yet to change a 10 ply due to gravel damage up north, even on much heavier trucks than a Tacoma. I'm sure it will happen to me eventually, but one spare is enough to keep me happy most of the time. Only time I add an extra is towing heavy with the 3500 up the Haul Rd, which is an entirely different use case.

Lighter tires are a different story and can sometimes get eaten up on some of our more interesting highways. No problem on the Alcan and main paved roads though. Even the Steese and Denali Hwys are pretty tame, and traversable with about anything. Wouldn't worry about those too much.

If the goal is to travel gravel roads such as the Dalton, Elliot, Taylor or perhaps Top of the World, then just avoiding overloading the vehicle is more of a consideration than anything in my mind. I see a lot of Overlanders and #vanlife rigs coming up from the L48 that have to be at or over GVWR. That's just really hard on stuff when traveling at speed and eats into your mileage and range. It's a tradeoff that I'm generally not willing to make in my own travels.