Anyone have one of the New Ram Trucks?

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Love my 2012 Ram Laramie Limited, Over 215,000 miles, I also have had two front end issues via hitting a deer and a Durango who ran a stop sign. Repairs ran over 23K but truck tracks as well as new or better. Cool design on the front frame as the front rail extensions are welded on and were replaceable. My normal repairs are few i have replaced an oil pan and a tensioning pulley, brake pads and rotors at 175,000. I have the 31 gal fuel tank great for trips I am out in the country and my average is right under 16 mpg. Will get another probably a 2500 mega cab gasser, Truck has made 9 trips to SoDak for Pheasant, running in the fields out there with never an issue, It has skid pads to protect things except for corn stalks it catches them by the bushel, but i have put it up on jutting rocks more than once with no problems. And this from a dyed in the wool Chevy guy who loves the old 350 sb with 4 bolt mains mated to a turbo 350 trans and a 12 bolt posi.

I’ve got a 2015 1500 with just about 150k on it. It’s been solid, no complaints. Other than oil changes I’ve only done brakes, exhaust manifold bolts, which I do need to have replaced again and a new radiator. I will probably stick with Ram for my next truck but I’ll get the 2500 possibly the Power Wagon. The new f-250 do look like a nice truck too so I’ll probably test drive them and research the hell out of them.

archp625

WKR
A friend on mine and I bought a 19 the same day about a year and a month ago. He has 17,000 and I have 23,000. Both are bighorn sports with level 2 package. The only problem we have had was brake noise while backing up. We both took to the dealer and the ones of the issue. Replaced some stuff and I’m back to normal. I had a Tundra before this that I loved and would have got another one but my 07 was basically the same truck as a 2019. As far as longevity. Time will tell.C2E6EB72-951B-45BB-BCF1-BE3BFA1BDBC6.jpeg

MattB

WKR
My buddy almost died after his late model ram's steering came apart on the highway. His experience with dealing with company was not good.

wyosteve

WKR
We're Ram heavy. I have an '18 3500 diesel for my heavy towing truck, a '19 Power Wagon with the 6.4 Hemi as my daily driver and just picked up a '20 3500 SRW with the 6.4 Hemi. Love them all. All I've owned since 1991 have been Dodge/Rams. Typically put 150k or so and never had any significant problems.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
If youve got power concerns with your Tacoma, try Ovtune. Ive got an 18 6MT and the difference is unreal. I was going to sell the truck but decided trying ovtune was worth trying before taking the hit.

real glad I tried it out.

I’ll buck the trend. I’ve got a 2014 Ram Hemi. Meh. Had to replace exhaust headers due to criminally negligent design. To my knowledge, it is still an issue on all the Hemi trucks. Check any of the Ram Forums or google “exhaust manifold tick”. Power is good and mileage is good for the size and power. Seats are worst seats I’ve ever sat in. Interior fit and finish is meh. The Uconnect was terrible, so I replaced it - but I think that part has been improved. I have serious Ford envy every time I ride in one and after the header issue, I’m wondering what other corner-cutting went on during the design phase. Rams also have the worst resale. The truck does the job, and I’m never short on power or speed, but considering I bought this truck to be a 10 year hunting truck, I do have buyers remorse.

I also have a 2014 with 88k on it. I have had no problems but some shifting issues early on that seemed to have been fixed with a software update.

I completely disagree with the seat issue. I came from a GMC Yukon XL and find the Ram seats infinitely more comfortable on long rides. I drove straight through from the NJ Shore to Steamboat Springs for my first elk hunt last fall. That's 36 hours over 2000 miles one way. The only time we stopped was for gas and 2 one hour naps. I never could sit for more than about 2 - 2.5 hours straight in the Yukon. I think the interior is nicer than the Yukon other than I have the BigHorn so I have cloth seats instead of the leather on the Yukon. It gets unbelievable mileage compared to the Yukon. The Yukon got 14-16 local and never more than 18 on the highway. On the trip to Colorado the overall average for the week and over 4000 miles including several hundred driving mountain roads. I averaged 21.5 mpg and that was with sustained speeds of 85plus on route 80. I normally gets 16-17 local and on the highway unloaded I have gotten several long trips with 25mg which is more than the EPA. It gets that kind of mileage with an engine that is almost 100 horsepower more than the GMC.

Overall I am extremely happy with it and wouldn't hesitate to get another!

OP
H
If youve got power concerns with your Tacoma, try Ovtune. Ive got an 18 6MT and the difference is unreal. I was going to sell the truck but decided trying ovtune was worth trying before taking the hit.

real glad I tried it out.

I’ve considered it and I appreciate the suggestion. I’ve got friends who have let me drive theirs some with the OV Tune and some with OV and Regeared. It improved it yes, but marginally from what I saw. I’m just personally over it. I guess the curse here is I have an extremely long history with Toyota trucks and Tacoma’s. Over a million miles on my first three trucks to be exact. Every time I drive my truck it just feels like a regression of quality and toughness compared to past generations.

I just think my time owning Tacoma’s is over with, they are just not what they used to be. Seems Tacoma’s have kind of gone the direction of our youth....they have gotten softer lol

P.S. You were smart though to get the MT. Way better than the auto! Here in the Rockies the auto transmission is constantly hunting for gears. It’s bloody annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldtrail

WKR
I've run all the big 3 as part of a very hard driven fleet over 30yrs and I don't want to get into a Ford vs Chevy argument but can tell you my experience:

Dodge was always the cheapest to meet bid, but terrible for cost of ownership/longevity, so bad we don't even consider them anymore. I had a Ram as a personal truck and it began the nickle and dime repairs at about 75,000.

Chevy had some really good years and others that were not as bad as Dodge but problematic. Chevy was the truck that would most often get wierd electrical issues that sometimes nobody could figure out. My dad has a Chevy that will flash trouble codes one day and nothing the next, run fine, and been doing that since 2015. The fix was replacing sensors which doesn't work. Currently I have a 2016 Silverado work truck with the 5.3 that has been good with only a couple minor issues, 90,000mi.

Ford rarely made the bid due to their price, but the Ford's we had were good trucks, probably the best. My personal truck I bought out of pocket is a 2012 F150, 120,000mi and needed a seal replaced in the rear differential at 90,000 and nothing more. Based on my experience and mechanic opinions the current F150 with the 5.0 V8 is a pretty good all around rig and will be my next truck.

Don't bash me too hard, but I think the Rams are sort of the Harley Davidson of trucks in terms of marketing and reliability, lots of flash and chrome but not a work/utility type vehicle that you can beat up and still be content driving at 200,000mi. I fear Chevy might be going down that same path, time will tell.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve considered it and I appreciate the suggestion. I’ve got friends who have let me drive theirs some with the OV Tune and some with OV and Regeared. It improved it yes, but marginally from what I saw. I’m just personally over it. I guess the curse here is I have an extremely long history with Toyota trucks and Tacoma’s. Over a million miles on my first three trucks to be exact. Every time I drive my truck it just feels like a regression of quality and toughness compared to past generations.

I just think my time owning Tacoma’s is over with, they are just not what they used to be. Seems Tacoma’s have kind of gone the direction of our youth....they have gotten softer lol

P.S. You were smart though to get the MT. Way better than the auto! Here in the Rockies the auto transmission is constantly hunting for gears. It’s bloody annoying.

have you done the TSB for it yet? If not, tis free.

If hunting gears annoys you, be prepared. They all do that now. With 8 and 10 speed autos, they are constantly bouncing between gears to maximize efficiency. Its only how much you notice it, and the full sizes will be less noticeable due to power.

Beendare

WKR
I have the 2019 Ram 4x4 1500 Limited with Air ride. It has just about every option except the sun roof.

it was $8k less than a comparable Ford....but the Ford didn't drive near as nice.

I've had this truck for a year...and so far so Good....probably the best truck I've owned.

It rides SO MUCH Better than any other truck its crazy.

I've owned multiple; Ford, Chevy, Toyota- gas and Diesel over the last 40 +years

I have been in a diesel truck since 1999 because I tow about every week so 1/2 tons just don't work for me. I started with ford 7.3 and then the 6.0. ford should have recalled or reimbursed for all the emisions issues they had on that 6.0 but after 10 years and 280,000 miles I sold mine for 9,000 cash so after putting 4,000 into bullet proof products its hard to complain too much, I switched to a 2015 ram cummins and as of last month I would have said its one of the best trucks I have ever owned,,,, well my turbo mudulator went out at 130,000 and it was 4,000 to fix it. I have since heard even from the dealer that its common on the new turbos so I am now looking to dump this for another brand diesel I just am not sure the route to go yet. I was so dang happy until that turbo went out. Super bummed

fmyth

WKR
I have been in a diesel truck since 1999 because I tow about every week so 1/2 tons just don't work for me. I started with ford 7.3 and then the 6.0. ford should have recalled or reimbursed for all the emisions issues they had on that 6.0 but after 10 years and 280,000 miles I sold mine for 9,000 cash so after putting 4,000 into bullet proof products its hard to complain too much, I switched to a 2015 ram cummins and as of last month I would have said its one of the best trucks I have ever owned,,,, well my turbo mudulator went out at 130,000 and it was 4,000 to fix it. I have since heard even from the dealer that its common on the new turbos so I am now looking to dump this for another brand diesel I just am not sure the route to go yet. I was so dang happy until that turbo went out. Super bummed
I had the same issue with my 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel at 102,000 miles. Warranty was up at 100k dealer wanted 6k for new turbo. You can't buy the variable vane turbo actuator by itself.

I have the 2018 Ram 4x4 1500 Limited with Air ride. It has just about every option including the sun roof. Right at 60,000 miles no issues. Drove to CO last year for an elk hunt. The other 2 guys with me are looking at Rams. Man is it comfortable!!!!! My 2013 1500 4x4 is still running at over 150,000 miles. We use it as a work truck. No significant issues. I have had 4 other Rams no issues with any. I've also owned 3 Ford F150s, no real issues with them. Our work trucks are a mixture of all three, Ram, Ford and Chevy. Fords have been to most troublesome.

I had the same issue with my 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel at 102,000 miles. Warranty was up at 100k dealer wanted 6k for new turbo. You can't buy the variable vane turbo actuator by itself.

I had two guys at work tell me after that they had same issue, a good buddy of mine said his brother had his done on a 2016 cummins and that the guy that did it cracked the new one and it went out again in 5,000 miles. he had 105,000 miles I believe. Pretty crappy, the reason I went with cummins was because my hunting partner has a 2001 with 350,000 miles and very little issues, certainly nothing blew up like mine did. Also my dad has a 2006 with 200,000 plus and and has pulled a monster fifth wheel across the country twice and he has had zero repairs.
My son has a 1500 ram 2wd and its done really well so far

sneaky

"DADDY"
If anyone is reading and wondering about a midsize trucks or wondering why I’m selling. I would be more than happy to clear the air in the long dirty list of why I can’t stand this truck. Skip the Tacoma and go check out the Ranger instead. I’ve got a buddy who has a new one and it out does my Tacoma in nearly every category. As well as to be completely honest I’m not sure the whole “Tacoma’s last longer” point can be 100% made anymore.

Yes it’s stands true for the Gen 1 and 2 Tacoma’s but no one has owned a Gen 3 as long and it’s honestly not putting up the best track record so far. I think what happen is they have been at the top for so long, they got complacent and lazy. Made a sell out of a truck and companies like Jeep and Ford saw the hole in Toyota’s boat and took advantage of. That Ranger is downright a better midsize truck. God I miss my Gen 1 and 2 Tacoma, these new ones SUCK!!

I've got an 06 Tacoma. The new Ranger is a damn full sized truck compared to a Tacoma. Didn't Dodge have an issue with front end components wearing out on some of the newer trucks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a '19 Laramie crew cab and I'm mostly happy with it. Almost 30k miles and haven't had any mechanical issues. Had to take it in for a couple of recalls but otherwise it's been fine. I got mine with the 3.92 rear end and average a hair under 15 mpg combined. But whenever you need to move she'll get up and scoot. Where I live the passing zones are often short and on a hill, so getting around the dopes going 40 in a 55 quickly was paramount for me.

It's pretty comfortable too. I had a Tacoma several years ago and it felt like I was driving a go cart....butt on the floor and steering wheel between my knees. Took my back 6 months to get used to that damn thing.

One of my gripes is the rotary knob to change gears instead of a traditional gear shifter in the center console. I don't know why, but I find it more and more annoying as time goes on. The other gripe is that it also has some stupid safety feature where you can't drive with the driver door open. I used to like to grab the garbage can and drag it to the end of the driveway driving the truck. Can't do that anymore. But those two things are personal issues for me.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 2500 Bighorn with the 6.4 hemi. I was looking at the 1500 but after comparing the price and gas mileage I decided to go with 2500. When I bought mine Ram offered and I bought the lifetime warranty. It is nice knowing no matter what happens all I pay is $100 to have it fixed. It even covers suspension. What other brand offers a lifetime warranty?