Anyone Live in Star Valley WY?

Gobbler36

WKR
I work and call on some flooring retailers in star valley, love the area it’s stunning in late spring, Sumer and fall, but the winters are hard enough there that I don’t know if I could make it full time, that and having the summer being invaded by all the summer home snootys would get old.

nonetheless every time I’m over there for work in the summer I say to myself, I need to find a house over here

What are you used to temp and weather wise? Are you ok with it being cold and snowy from potentially October to April? How much do you ski? Do you do any other outdoor winter activities like snowmobiling or snowshoeing? I've had snow in my yard since late October this year, and I'll typically have some big patches of snow into late April. But trails in the hills will open up on south faces in mid April.

My wife starts getting pretty cagey and talking about Mexico this time of year but I love it. Only you can decide if it's for you.
First, to the OP, sorry for hi-jacking your post, but hopefully you will get more information out of this as well.

We will not mind the cold. We don't get a ton of snow here though, probably 35-45" of snow here, at my cabin where I hunt we got probably 65" this winter. Taking average highs where I am now is generally within 2 degrees of Alpine, and the lows are pretty close with Alpine having lower lows and a wider delta between high and low. My wife skis 1-2 times a week, I ride 3-4 times a week, if its good. We snowshoe, or around here hike basically no matter the conditions.

Last edited:
I'm curious what the big cons of Montana and Utah are compared to Wyoming. Also, Jackson area gets a ton of snow, the resort got almost 500 inches this year. Granted that is the mountain but the lower areas still get over 100 inches a year.

https://www.codyenterprise.com/news/local/article_9862ed9e-e4ac-11e5-9463-2f58b3f49bfd.html
We ski a bit - and it seems that NW WY is the most reliable place for skiing the past 15-20 years snow wise, so that is actually a positive. The areas in UT (Park City, Wasatch back) and MT (Bozeman) that we have looked at are growing at an extraordinary rate. It also seems to be a majority from CA as well. In both of these areas, it appears that expansion is possible, and will continue, as it is not as limited by national forest, etc. as WY is. Add income taxes, property tax in MT, resident hunting compared to WY, bigger city problems in SLC/Ogden. WY seems to come out on top.

You likely won't be finding anything from Moran to Jackson since it's virtually all Grand Teton National Park or unless you have multimillions to spend.

By this, I basically mean that any of that long area will work. There has been some for sale in Moran previously that would work. I do not expect to really find anything in Kelly, Moose, Jackson or Wilson. Game Creek, Hoback and Alpine are probably more realistic.

Alta is actually our first choice for getting away from Jackson a little bit and good skiing with the other perceived benefits of WY. But not sure how likely this is given the explosion of 'Drictor'.

bobr1

WKR
We ski a bit - and it seems that NW WY is the most reliable place for skiing the past 15-20 years snow wise, so that is actually a positive. The areas in UT (Park City, Wasatch back) and MT (Bozeman) that we have looked at are growing at an extraordinary rate. It also seems to be a majority from CA as well. In both of these areas, it appears that expansion is possible, and will continue, as it is not as limited by national forest, etc. as WY is. Add income taxes, property tax in MT, resident hunting compared to WY, bigger city problems in SLC/Ogden. WY seems to come out on top.
Yeah, I'd take those things into consideration I agree about Utah and Bozeman but Bozeman isn't all of MT. But know that times are changing for Wyoming. A lot of their money comes from the energy sector which is one reason they have lower property tax and no state income tax. With Biden in now and hammering gas and oil they are already proposing an income tax because they have a serious budget problem now. I can't find the article but it shows that though jackson can't grow much, the area surrounding it can and is on the Idaho side especially in Driggs and Victor. This is where the majority of the workers and locals actually live. On the west side of the mountains there is plenty of room to put in developments and it is a lot cheaper. So I would just be aware of that situation. Also, skiing there especially at the Jackson hole resort is like $2400 a person for a season pass. Also, it's hard to get the true data on movement to the Jackson area because a large portion of them are 2nd or 3rd home owners and most are from California. Just look at the voting for the 2020 presidential election. The light blue one is Albany county which is where University of Wyoming is at. I will let you guess the dark blue one.

1616449775756.png

And to the OP, someone already mentioned LDS, because the whole star valley is based around a LDS temple.

Anyway, not trying to dissuade or persuade you or anyone way just giving my input and research over the last several years. Just depends on what you want and are willing to pay for it. I'd recommend renting a short term rental in the winter time to see if it is what you want.

Yeah, I'd take those things into consideration I agree about Utah and Bozeman but Bozeman isn't all of MT. But know that times are changing for Wyoming. A lot of their money comes from the energy sector which is one reason they have lower property tax and no state income tax. With Biden in now and hammering gas and oil they are already proposing an income tax because they have a serious budget problem now. I can't find the article but it shows that though jackson can't grow much, the area surrounding it can and is on the Idaho side especially in Driggs and Victor. This is where the majority of the workers and locals actually live. On the west side of the mountains there is plenty of room to put in developments and it is a lot cheaper. So I would just be aware of that situation. Also, skiing there especially at the Jackson hole resort is like $2400 a person for a season pass. Also, it's hard to get the true data on movement to the Jackson area because a large portion of them are 2nd or 3rd home owners and most are from California. Just look at the voting for the 2020 presidential election. The light blue one is Albany county which is where University of Wyoming is at. I will let you guess the dark blue one.

View attachment 276016

And to the OP, someone already mentioned LDS, because the whole star valley is based around a LDS temple.

Anyway, not trying to dissuade or persuade you or anyone way just giving my input and research over the last several years. Just depends on what you want and are willing to pay for it. I'd recommend renting a short term rental in the winter time to see if it is what you want.
I agree with all of your points. The income tax portion is interesting. That bill was put forth by democrats. Not sure if it really goes anywhere. But it does have a credit for all sales and property taxes paid to the state of Wyoming - I guess that’s a positive for a new tax??

Agreed that Bozeman is not all of Montana. But for us with skiing and the need for a semi decent airport it’s really the only one that fits. Along with Bozeman we can do Park county with actual property that I could shoot on. We considered Kalispell/Whitefish but I didn’t think the winters were reliable enough with pure snowfall or temperature. Also, the lack of sun in winter would drive me nuts. I have a floater in my one eye that is very annoying on very overcast days.

As an aside, I check maps like the above for every place I am considering and look at trends. What sucks for us is if there’s good skiing and some other stuff it’s generally blue haha.

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
By this, I basically mean that any of that long area will work. There has been some for sale in Moran previously that would work. I do not expect to really find anything in Kelly, Moose, Jackson or Wilson. Game Creek, Hoback and Alpine are probably more realistic.

Alta is actually our first choice for getting away from Jackson a little bit and good skiing with the other perceived benefits of WY. But not sure how likely this is given the explosion of 'Drictor'.

Have you looked at lot/ home prices in Alta? It’s just as high as Jackson, right now there is only one listing and it’s actually reasonable from what I have seen. Basically your not going to find anything there.

I wouldn’t worry about LDS in Star Valley I know there’s enough Jackson transplants, I think I’ve heard there’s a fun bar in Thayne then everything in Alpine.

The winters are longer than you think and you get tired of it even if you love skiing, snowmobiling, etc. I grew up in Wisco and the winters here are a whole different ball game. Sometimes you get snow storms in Wisconsin, well sometimes we have a couple days without snow here. People are currently planting gardens in Wisconsin, I still have 3 feet of snow in my yard. Things melt kinda in April, then May is mud season. Summer might start in June then is done September with a snow storm thrown in there. But I still live here for that sliver of summer and bugles in Sept!

Have you looked at lot/ home prices in Alta? It’s just as high as Jackson, right now there is only one listing and it’s actually reasonable from what I have seen. Basically your not going to find anything there.

I wouldn’t worry about LDS in Star Valley I know there’s enough Jackson transplants, I think I’ve heard there’s a fun bar in Thayne then everything in Alpine.

The winters are longer than you think and you get tired of it even if you love skiing, snowmobiling, etc. I grew up in Wisco and the winters here are a whole different ball game. Sometimes you get snow storms in Wisconsin, well sometimes we have a couple days without snow here. People are currently planting gardens in Wisconsin, I still have 3 feet of snow in my yard. Things melt kinda in April, then May is mud season. Summer might start in June then is done September with a snow storm thrown in there. But I still live here for that sliver of summer and bugles in Sept!

Yes, it’s unlikely given the low number of properties period and the Alta prices have changed a lot from even last summer. Driggs and Victor have drastically changed since the summer as well.

where do you live now?

mwebs

WKR
Yes, it’s unlikely given the low number of properties period and the Alta prices have changed a lot from even last summer. Driggs and Victor have drastically changed since the summer as well.

where do you live now?

I guess you could be a millionaire, sorry for assuming otherwise. I live in Teton Valley.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree with all of your points. The income tax portion is interesting. That bill was put forth by democrats. Not sure if it really goes anywhere. But it does have a credit for all sales and property taxes paid to the state of Wyoming - I guess that’s a positive for a new tax??

Agreed that Bozeman is not all of Montana. But for us with skiing and the need for a semi decent airport it’s really the only one that fits. Along with Bozeman we can do Park county with actual property that I could shoot on. We considered Kalispell/Whitefish but I didn’t think the winters were reliable enough with pure snowfall or temperature. Also, the lack of sun in winter would drive me nuts. I have a floater in my one eye that is very annoying on very overcast days.

As an aside, I check maps like the above for every place I am considering and look at trends. What sucks for us is if there’s good skiing and some other stuff it’s generally blue haha.
Literally every place you have mentioned wanting to live are the same places the Californian contingents are moving to in droves. You aren't going to escape them with your current plan.

Literally every place you have mentioned wanting to live are the same places the Californian contingents are moving to in droves. You aren't going to escape them with your current plan.
Agreed it seems that the skiing is the problem.

Is that contingent taking over Lincoln county Wyoming though? The numbers don’t really show that.

It is hard to find a place with good skiing that it is not happening to some degree.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed it seems that the skiing is the problem.

Is that contingent taking over Lincoln county Wyoming though? The numbers don’t really show that.

It is hard to find a place with good skiing that it is not happening to some degree.

There's definitely people moving in, but the farther south you go in Star Valley, the less development there is. Alpine is booming with move ins and building projects. Afton has almost no houses on the market, but most building projects are locals.

There's few enough amenities that it keeps most "city" folks from getting too serious (closest Walmart is an hour and a half drive, very limited restaurant and entertainment options, etc )

I don't know if you said where your from Timeless, but Someone will be buying property and moving here. Most of time we'd prefer it be someone from WI or Texas than your typical California move in (no offense to the good soul members that are stuck in that hole)

There's definitely people moving in, but the farther south you go in Star Valley, the less development there is. Alpine is booming with move ins and building projects. Afton has almost no houses on the market, but most building projects are locals.

There's few enough amenities that it keeps most "city" folks from getting too serious (closest Walmart is an hour and a half drive, very limited restaurant and entertainment options, etc )

I don't know if you said where your from Timeless, but Someone will be buying property and moving here. Most of time we'd prefer it be someone from WI or Texas than your typical California move in (no offense to the good soul members that are stuck in that hole)
I am from Pennsylvania. My wife and I had been planning on being long moved but there has been a bunch of curveballs thrown at us over the last 2 years.