Anyone use the ulmer edge on elk last year?

Trying to decide if I want to switch to these but not sure if I'm shooting enough speed/weight. What speed and arrow weight are you guys shooting who love these broad heads?

I'm shooting 276 fps @ 445 grains (including 125grain heads) and not sure if I should be using a mechanical.

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
Truthfully, I have never shot through a chrono with my bow. I shoot a carbon matrix @ 28" and 83lbs. Arrow is 463 grains if I remeber correctly. I would guess it shoots somewhere in the 290-300 fps range but I could be wrong. I just know it shoots fast enough!

Rockbridge: according to your arrow speed and weight you should be around 78 ft pounds of KE. More than enough for a mechanical.

Rockbridge:

Sorry did my math wrong. Approx 75 ft pounds of KE. Still more than enough for a mechanical

Rockbridge:

Sorry did my math wrong. Approx 75 ft pounds of KE. Still more than enough for a mechanical

Thanks. I knew that my KE was around that, but didn't know what's considered "enough" for a mech head. I've shot through my Magnus Stingers already (I can't pass up shots on coyotes) and am having to go to my 2nd line which consists of Ulmer Edges or G5 Strikers.

J-Daddy

WKR
Thanks. I knew that my KE was around that, but didn't know what's considered "enough" for a mech head. I've shot through my Magnus Stingers already (I can't pass up shots on coyotes) and am having to go to my 2nd line which consists of Ulmer Edges or G5 Strikers.

I probably wouldn't elephant hunt with it but for deer sized critters you've got plenty of umph to smoke an Ulmer through one.
I'm gonna shoot the Ulmers out of my 70lbs Carbon Spyder 34 this year for whitetail & mule deer.

Manosteel

WKR
Gonna try them on an elk this year. Recently shot a WT at 77 yards with one, quatering away, no wind, had no idea I was there, arrow flew like a dart perfectly behind the front shoulder coming out the chest clipping the top of the heart artery. WT Ran in a circle painting the ground a bright red (think Quentin Tarantino movie) and 10 seconds later we are done. All this was in view of me and my hunting buddy. Arrow recovered and can be used again. No damage to shaft or the Elmer Edge although I will have to replace the blades as putting them back into shooting position took more effort than it should(could not see any bend in the blades but its gotta be their).

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a a mature cow elk with the stainless steel Deep Six version this year at about 35 yards. The arrow was an FMJ Deep Six with mass of 472 gr.

Perfect performance.
The shot was a little high, double lung, and it hit a rib dead center on the entrance. I had full penetration, in fact it was dangling by the fletching on the exit wound. I am pretty sure it would have been a clean pass if it had not hit the rib.

The cow went about 100 yards and fell over. The arrow fell out after about 30 yards. Nice big entrance and exit wounds. The rib was completely shattered.

I chose this broadhead because it flies so well, matching my field points and grouping well out to 100 yds. I have previously used the QAD Exodus. The Exodus flies well, but the Ulmer Edge flies way better. Especially if there is any wind. I went out right before my trip and shot the Exodus and the Ulmer in a pretty stiff wind. I experienced more drift with the Exodus.

I will continue to use it on elk without any concerns.

ckleeves

WKR
Have any of you guys using the Ulmer Edge seen any really bizarre arrow paths through animals? Like broadside shot exiting like it was a steep quartering shot or quartering shots exiting like it was a broadside shot?

I had not seen bizzare paths withe the Ulmer Edge but have with fixed blade heads that "turn" on a rib. I have only shot 5 animals with the UE and over 100 with fixed blades though.

In extensive testing with 3/16" hardwood dowels set in front of my broad head target on rib spacing, I found a lot of arrows entering my foam target at angles up to about 30 degrees from perpendicular. This test was years ago and done with a well tuned bow. Ribs and other bones can and will change the flight path of an arrow on a glancing shot.

ckleeves

WKR
I think with the Ulmers it has to do with the pivoting blades. That's the only explanation I can come up with for some of the paths I have seen. I have seen some of the 10-20 degree deflections with other heads but nothing like this before.

I shot a large cow elk, lead cow, with the Ulmer edge broadhead last Monday. I shoot a 70# matrix with Z5 cams and 390 gr arrows are right at 297 fps. It was a 50 yd shot and the arrow hit right on the front shoulder shattering the humerus bone, going between the ribs cutting off the arteries on top of the heart, between the ribs on the off side and burying in the off side shoulder. She went 70 yds at a dead run and crashed hard. The broadhead blades bent slightly to the side but did the job. Both front shoulders were heavily bloodshot. This was the first time I have tried a mechanical broadhead and I was impressed.

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I filmed my buddy shooting a doe with the Ulmers the other night. 30 yards, and blew right through both shoulder blades, taking the heart on its way through. I was impressed with how it held up. Doe only made it 50 yards.

I used one last year on my bull. I had one blade break but it did it's job! This year on my bull it did great as well and was all together in the dirt. No bone this year! They fly great!