AR Upgrades for a predator gun

Lando

WKR
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 with a magpul stock. I bought it for home defense, but it has never left the safe, and I have been thinking of upgrading it a bit to serve as a predator calling gun. Problem is that I know zip about ARs.

What are some upgrades that I should consider? My thoughts are maybe a 20 inch barrel and a new trigger? I am thinking that I want to spend $3-400 on the project, optics not included. Any help appreciated?

B23

WKR
I'm guessing the trigger in yours is likely the not so great mil spec trigger so a aftermarket drop in unit would be a great start. I have quite a few CMC 3-3.5lb drop in triggers in AR's and they've all been great for me. I've ordered from this place before and they're good to go and have as good a price as any as well as free shipping.

260madman

WKR
Trigger, grip, possibly a barrel depending on how much velocity you want. Is the barrel currently free floated?

Grumman

WKR
I just put a Triggertech in my AR and wish I would have done it years ago. Major difference from the mil spec in my Daniel Defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my experience the two most impactful upgrades for any AR are free floating the barrel and replacing the trigger. Doing both will majorly enhance your accuracy, as well as make your rifle more enjoyable to shoot.

THE BEST value you will ever find in an aftermarket AR trigger is this one:

Larue tactical’s MBT 2S is a near-exact copy of the Geissele SDC, only it cost $99 dollars instead of $199. Comes in 1 or 2 stage (for hunting I’d definitely go 2 stage). You will not find a better trigger at that price

As far as free float hand guards, any mid-shelf brand will do just fine—Aero Precision, Strike Industries, even PSA are all good enough. Just be sure you get it in M-lok and not Keymod or the dreaded cheese grater (quad rail). This upgrade will also allow for mounting a weapon light, which I feel is absolutely required for a “varmint” gun or HD gun.

To mount a free float hand guard you’ll also need to replace the gas block with one that’s low profile. Any generic fixed gas block will work, and these are usually quite cheap. Just look on Primary Arms’ site.

Beyond that, I think a nicer grip and nicer stock make for a more comfortable shooting experience but aren’t strictly necessary. I like BCM’s gunfighter grip and SOPMOD stock, personally.

Have fun! The upgrades I did to my first AR were very empowering. It’s not hard at all and well worth the effort to learn.

I'll second the trigger. Not sure what you have in it now but it is probably not great. The CMC listed in this thread is a good trigger. Crisp break and a decent value.

I'd avoid the Timney Impact. I've only had 1 but it was as creepy as a free candy van. Not worse than most mil spec triggers, but not worth the money spent.

ET8300

FNG
Geissele Super Dynamic-Enhanced (SD-E) Flat Trigger is my favorite. A little more on the expensive side but you can find them on sale every once in a while.

Northpark

WKR
I have a double duty AR. It’s a Frankenstein gun I built. It’s my absolute favorite calling rifle for shots from 0-300 yards or so. Best places to spend money for a predator rifle in my opinion would be trigger and optics first then shoot it and see where to go from there. A new barrel, free float hand guard, and bolt carrier group would be next in my opinion.

A new trigger is probably worth the $$$. A bipod or shooting sticks. Unless you are taking really long shots, the new barrel may or may not matter enough to justify the costs. I have one of those magpul PRS stocks on my scoped AR. It is good for getting the ergos dialed to get behind the scope but was pricey.

JoeDirt

WKR
Some factory ARs are over gassed, playing around with an adjustable gas block and or buffer weights might help perceived recoil. Its nice to be able to spot your own shots.

On a M&P 15 if you're looking at a new barrel you might as well go with a free floating handguard.

I put a AccuPower 1X8 scope on mine with a 45* BUIS for transition to close quarters shots. Actually had a yote backdoor me on, he was 15' off my six downwind. Dumb mutt.