Archery Elk Kit

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some suggestions on what you guys would consider adding or would want to have. Hunt will be September archery elk located in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem around 9-11k feet. I know most guys run a puffy and some stack mid layers and use a soft soft shell. I know I’m a piece or few short so here I am looking for suggestions.

Currently I am looking at

Exoficio Boxer
Smartwool Sock
Prana Stretch Zion
Sitka Core Midweight bottom (early mornings if needed)

Sitka Core Lightweight tee
Sitka Core Midweight zip tee

Beyond these pieces what would you add sans your rain gear, beanie, and gloves. I was thinking about a Sitka Finatic Hoody and maybe a puffy. Could I get away with just the puffy on top of what I have or maybe Finatic and a windstopper vest? Let me know what you think.

Alan

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d add a fleece like your talking about.. either fanatic hoody or the heavyweight core is my recommendation. Then definitely add a puffy jacket. That’s enough for most people early season but if you like vests and want to add one by all means do it if it makes you comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For archery season lightweight merino base top and bottoms, microfleece mock T, and my camo Microtex Lite or Microtex shirt and pants. That covers 90% of my season. The other 10% would be covered with a regular fleece jacket, rain jacket, and puffy, but many seasons I don't use any of those three. But being in the Yellowstone ecosystem......much higher probability of needing them.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I’d add a fleece like your talking about.. either fanatic hoody or the heavyweight core is my recommendation. Then definitely add a puffy jacket. That’s enough for most people early season but if you like vests and want to add one by all means do it if it makes you comfortable.

Jordan how does the core heavyweight compare to the traverse top? Is the core heavyweight that much more substantial than the Fanatic?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan how does the core heavyweight compare to the traverse top? Is the core heavyweight that much more substantial than the Fanatic?

The traverse top is fleece on the inside and more like a slick softer shell on the outside, if that makes sense. Then the heavyweight core is more like a shorter fleece blend throughout the whole thing. I've had both and I think they're about the same warmth wise just a little bit different feel. In my opinion the fanatic is just a different configuration of the traverse top. I haven't been around the fanatic a lot but what I have been it seems about the same, maybe slightly lighter than the traverse.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm wearing ex officio boxers right now at the office, but I wouldn't trust them on a multi day hunt. Grab a couple pair of FL or Kuiu merino options.

N2TRKYS

WKR
You just have to figure out what works best for you. I've learned over the years that merino wool base layers are useless for me. Outter layers are where it's at for me.

Once you figure out what works best for you, stick with it.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wearing ex officio boxers right now at the office, but I wouldn't trust them on a multi day hunt. Grab a couple pair of FL or Kuiu merino options.

What are you not liking about them?

How does the Kuiu Merino hold up? Lots of complaints about the FL merino not being durable.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
You just have to figure out what works best for you. I've learned over the years that merino wool base layers are useless for me. Outter layers are where it's at for me.

Once you figure out what works best for you, stick with it.

The Sitka synthetic stuff works great for me. I currently only wear merino socks. Trying to figure exactly what underware to run.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
The traverse top is fleece on the inside and more like a slick softer shell on the outside, if that makes sense. Then the heavyweight core is more like a shorter fleece blend throughout the whole thing. I've had both and I think they're about the same warmth wise just a little bit different feel. In my opinion the fanatic is just a different configuration of the traverse top. I haven't been around the fanatic a lot but what I have been it seems about the same, maybe slightly lighter than the traverse.

Thanks much.

If I go with either of those three the traverse, fanatic or heavyweight core what Sitk puffy would you recommend?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks much.

If I go with either of those three the traverse, fanatic or heavyweight core what Sitk puffy would you recommend?

The Kelvin down hoody is a good option. If your looking for something more robust the Kifaru lost park parka is a bombproof option in my opinion.

I spend the vast majority of archery and early rifle seasons in nothing but FL boxers, attack pants (Sitka ascent if temps are warm) and FL Chama hoody. Other baselayer style shirts with a hoody and 1/4 zip or more can be used. This is the most versatile way to moderate temps I’ve seen. A thin hood and zipping up or down does wonders. Anything more and I will usually soak it with sweat.

Recently added kuiu peloton 130 zip off bottoms. These get put on at night for sleeping and are nice under your pants around camp in the morning chill. I usually zip them off within a 1/4 mile of camp prior to starting to sweat.

Some sort of a fleece or soft shell that will cut wind is nice when it’s blowing because that chama wont stop the wind. I use a kuiu chinook, enjoy the pit zips for temperature regulation.

Add a puffy for times of inaction. Lots of good options, I typically use a FL uncompahgre as it’s a good balance of warmth and wind/moisture resistance. I have a nunatak PCT jacket on the way that will likely replace the FL because it will be lighter, warmer, and more water/wind resistant.

ChrisAU

WKR
What are you not liking about them?

How does the Kuiu Merino hold up? Lots of complaints about the FL merino not being durable.

Nothing wrong with them, just don't expect them to hold up from an odor perspective like my FL boxers. Was amazed that I could wear the same stuff for days on end this October with no smell. Gross, but it is what it is.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The Sitka synthetic stuff works great for me. I currently only wear merino socks. Trying to figure exactly what underware to run.

I wear boxers sometimes, but don't prefer them at all. I had much rather have briefs than boxers.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

It’s trial and error. I ran some Sitka merino boxers that held up great even after running through the washing machine (not ideal). But the cut and weight of them wasn’t right so I just use my daily wear synthetic from target. Bringing an extra pair or two is worth the comfort over the odor advantage of merino.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input.

How does the peloton 240 block wind and compare to the Fanatic?

Anyone used the Sitka merino boxer? How do they hold up compared to the FL?

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
For archery season lightweight merino base top and bottoms, microfleece mock T, and my camo Microtex Lite or Microtex shirt and pants. That covers 90% of my season. The other 10% would be covered with a regular fleece jacket, rain jacket, and puffy, but many seasons I don't use any of those three. But being in the Yellowstone ecosystem......much higher probability of needing them.

Thanks much. I think if I add a heavier fleece and a puffy I should be in business. Agreed?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the input.

How does the peloton 240 block wind and compare to the Fanatic?

Anyone used the Sitka merino boxer? How do they hold up compared to the FL?

I edited my last post, sorry I didn’t specify merino boxers. Yes they are holding up well. I don’t use them much anymore but put 50+ days of use and many washes.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
fng4life thanks. I wasn’t sure.

Anyone used the Uncompahgre and Sitka Kelvin Lite? Which did you prefer?

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
fng4life thanks. I wasn’t sure.

Anyone used the Uncompahgre and Sitka Kelvin Lite? Which did you prefer?

Uncompahgre will be warmer for sure in my opinion. The Kelvin Lite would probably be enough for early september but man I've seen snow fall and temps drop even early september that makes it miserable. It can be 60 degrees and comfortable but once that wind comes up it can suck. I'd personally go with the first lite jacket. To add to it also, the uncompahgre is a synthetic blend instead of down. If it gets wet it will hold up heat retention much much better than the kelvin will. Depending where your hunting that may be a concern.