Archery Elk Kit

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks pretty good! I’d add the fleece for sure. I use the jet stream vest and like it a lot. My vote is for the uncompahgre puffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Looks pretty good! I’d add the fleece for sure. I use the jet stream vest and like it a lot. My vote is for the uncompahgre puffy.

Is the Jetstream Vest to hot for early season? The Midweight zip tee may or may not go depending on the temps. I feel like I can do a lot with a vest, the lightweight hoody and heavyweight hoody

Bringing this back to the top for a little more input.

I have my clothing kit pretty well done. The last piece/two pieces I need to pick up are a puffy and possibly a lightweight vest/jacket. I’m looking into doing some spot and stalk spring black bear hunts in the future so versatility in these last two pieces are key. I’m thinking a vest/jacket will be nice as a extra layer or for brush busting and/or to have pockets on a stalk.

Im considering a combination of any two of the following. Jetstream Vest, Mountain Vest (no jacket as it is silly loud with rubbing of arms while walking) or something else if anyone has a idea. Then either Cirrus Puffy, Uncompaghre Puffy, or Kelvin Lite Hoody. Below is my refined kit for September Elk.

Core Lightweight SS
Core Lightweight Hoody
Core Heavy Weight Hoody
Vest (possibly)
Puffy (needed)
Rain Gear

I have a midweight Zip tee I can always add.

Bottom
Core Silkweight Boxer
Smartwool Sock
Core Midweight Bottom
Prana Stretch Zion
Rain Gear

In pack as extra
1 Silkweight Boxer
1 pair Smartwool socks
1 Core Lightweight SS Tee

How’s it look?

Your bottom layers look good! For top layers, I only bring one fleece layer. I think a jetstream vest and heavyweight hoody are both mid layers. I own both and only bring the heavyweight hoody on backpack hunts. If you are bringing rain gear, then you already have a windproof layer. A baselayer, midlayer, puffy, and rain gear is all you need up top.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the Jetstream Vest to hot for early season? The Midweight zip tee may or may not go depending on the temps. I feel like I can do a lot with a vest, the lightweight hoody and heavyweight hoody

It's warm for me while hiking up hill. The mountain vest is great for early season, but it isn't super quiet.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I'd definitely go with the Mountain vest. I've been backpacking in that area twice in July and mid August, but I don't have experience elk hunting in September. But I can tell you the mountain vest is amazing for the amount of wind it blocks while weighing literally next to nothing. You won't notice it in your bag whereas a Jetstream vest will weigh quite a bit more. I would throw in the midweight zip tee as a comfort piece if it were me, it's light enough that it would be worth carrying that extra weight, especially if you got in a snowstorm. On that note, I personally would have went with the Fanatic hoody over the Core HW. You have to look closely, but the Fanatic does have a larger area of grid fleece in key places such as the sleeves and lower torso that make it warmer in my opinion. I sold my Core HW for this reason and just picked up a solid green Fanatic hoody that is warmer and can be worn more often. You have to turn them both inside out to see what I'm talking about, but the flip up mittens and facemask really are the deal breaker for me. The Core HW just has a high zipper that can be used as a facemask but it's not quite as good in my experience.

EDITED: the core Heavyweight is a great choice too. It's just personal preference and I like the Fanatic better. Hope you have a better experience with the Heavyweight!

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I personally don’t think it’s too hot for early mountain hunting. It gets freaking chilly in the high country. Your good in the heavy weight core! My bad, it didn’t register when I first read it.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. So many choices these days which isn’t a bad thing.

applepie_eli the Fanatic hoody is a great piece as well. I tried it on and it’s solid. The mittens seem like they would make it a little tough to layer. The zipper on the Heavyweight isn’t a issue for me as I am left handed and it sits on the right side of my face. The hand pouch also wouldn’t get used much but could be nice. I originally bought the Heavyweight because of the deal I got on it. Sitka has so many offerings it can be overwhelming.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
What is the Sitka comparable puffy to the FL uncompahgre?

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. So many choices these days which isn’t a bad thing.

applepie_eli the Fanatic hoody is a great piece as well. I tried it on and it’s solid. The mittens seem like they would make it a little tough to layer. The zipper on the Heavyweight isn’t a issue for me as I am left handed and it sits on the right side of my face. The hand pouch also wouldn’t get used much but could be nice. I originally bought the Heavyweight because of the deal I got on it. Sitka has so many offerings it can be overwhelming.

Yeah definitely! I didn't dislike the heavyweight hoody, I just liked my Fanatic hoody so much I decided I'd rather have another one instead of the the HW. The mittens definitely were different at first, but you get used to them being folded up and they don't cause any issues for layering. Hey in a perfect world we'd all own every piece lol. Good luck on your hunt!

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
What is the Sitka comparable puffy to the FL uncompahgre?

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

To my understanding it kind of falls in the middle of what Sitka offers. A lot of people even some die hard Sitka fans like this. I believe the Kelvin Lite has less insulation and the regular Kelvin has more. I am a big fan of Sitka for a lot of reasons but I am leaning toward trying the Uncompaghre as my first true puffy. It would be my first piece of First Lite and might as well get one seemingly everyone loves.

I've never owned the FL uncompahgre, but have owned the Sitka Kelvin Lite, Kuiu Superdown, and the Kifaru LPP. I like owning two different puffys. A lighter weight one that is super compressible for backpack hunting and a more beefed up durable one for late season use. Currently my backpack one is the original Sitka Kelvin Lite and my late season one is the Kifaru LPP. A ton of people like the FL uncompahgre, but I wouldn't use it for later seasons glassing.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I've never owned the FL uncompahgre, but have owned the Sitka Kelvin Lite, Kuiu Superdown, and the Kifaru LPP. I like owning two different puffys. A lighter weight one that is super compressible for backpack hunting and a more beefed up durable one for late season use. Currently my backpack one is the original Sitka Kelvin Lite and my late season one is the Kifaru LPP. A ton of people like the FL uncompahgre, but I wouldn't use it for later seasons glassing.

Good point here. If my hunting was dead of winter I could see the use of having two puffy coats. The LPP gets a ton of great reviews.

What’s the Kelvin lite fit like? Do you wear the same size as your core pieces and does it layer over them and other items well? I wear all my Core pieces in XL I can layer the any two of the comfortably regardless of weight. Hoping the Kelvin Lite would layer over something like a mid-heavy or mid-heavy-vest combo of that’s the route I go.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Good info here. I use a light Eddie Bauer puffy coat and vest during rifle and late archery here in ND. Meaning it gets cold here and usually windy. But I want to upgrade to a better quality puffy to cover these times. I have a Sitka credit so may lean that way, but will look closer at the FL and LPP.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Good info here. I use a light Eddie Bauer puffy coat and vest during rifle and late archery here in ND. Meaning it gets cold here and usually windy. But I want to upgrade to a better quality puffy to cover these times. I have a Sitka credit so may lean that way, but will look closer at the FL and LPP.

For cold and windy check out the new Sitka Kelvin Down Windstopper hoody. I haven't been able to try it yet but it looks amazing. It's a little on the heavy side for a down jacket but it's probably going to be the warmest, especially in the wind.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider

Do you find the Kelvin Lite to be pretty warm? I am thinking about picking one up especially since they now offer that quiet puffy material on some of them and it will work well in a tree stand if I decide to use it for that.

Do you find the Kelvin Lite to be pretty warm? I am thinking about picking one up especially since they now offer that quiet puffy material on some of them and it will work well in a tree stand if I decide to use it for that.

Define warm. For sitting in a tree stand for an extended period of time I would think not, however I have zero experience being in a tree stand.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Define warm. For sitting in a tree stand for an extended period of time I would think not, however I have zero experience being in a tree stand.

Warm as in it does what you want to for backpack/mountain hunting when used in a system? With a base, mid-layer, and shell over the top what temp ranges do you find it to work for while static and or glassing type activities?

Sitting in a tree stand can be hard even with the best gear. It’s a mindset thing just as much as it is an equipment thing. I always over dress if static hunting. The quiet material they are using makes it at least a option in the tree compared to some others.

Last edited:
Warm as in it does what you want to for backpack/mountain hunting when used in a system? With a base, mid-layer, and shell over the top what temp ranges do you find it to work for while static and or glassing type activities?

Sitting in a tree stand can be hard even with the best gear. It’s a mindset thing just as much as it is an equipment thing. I always over dress if static hunting. The quiet material they are using makes it at least a option in the tree compared to some others.

In a system yes. Especially underneath a wind stopping material. I would be hesitant to use it static with the temperatures below 25 though.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
In a system yes. Especially underneath a wind stopping material. I would be hesitant to use it static with the temperatures below 25 though.

Thanks much for your help. One last question as I try to figure all this out. Did you find the FL Uncompaghre to be significantly warmer than the Kelvin Lite Hoody or are they about in the same class? You are one of the few people who have used them both.

Thanks much for your help. One last question as I try to figure all this out. Did you find the FL Uncompaghre to be significantly warmer than the Kelvin Lite Hoody or are they about in the same class? You are one of the few people who have used them both.

In post #50 I stated that I haven't used the FL uncompaghre. I do wear the same size of Sitka puffy as by base and mid layers.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
In post #50 I stated that I haven't used the FL uncompaghre. I do wear the same size of Sitka puffy as by base and mid layers.

I over looked the very first part of post #50. I do now see you said you haven’t used one. I must have been stuck on the part that states you would never use one for late season as I’m sure that’s where the LPP comes in. Thanks for all your input and help.