Archery Elk question from new elk hunter

Hogslayer

FNG
I am 52 and a seasoned hunter from the s.e., but i am new to elk hunting. I have been wanting to go elk hunting for decades, but life and other things always got in the way. I decided to make it happen since i'm not getting any younger. I have a strategy question that keeps coming into my head. I have done hours and hours of e-scouting for the wilderness area that i'm going to hunt. I have lots of gps spots marked from a couple miles from the trailhead to many miles deeper into the wilderness area. The terrain is rough and steep in this wilderness area. I am going out in late July to scout for 5 days and check the gps spots to put boots on the ground and see what they look like for real, and to look for other glassing spots, wallows, good areas.

I plan on bow hunting Sept 19 - 25. My question is, should I hunt my way out to my farther waypoints 6+ miles back or spend valuable time hunting the closer spots that have been hit already by ppl and work my way out to my further spots more slowly?
I am thinking of just bypassing my closer 2-4 mile spots and go straight to the furthest ones in hopes that the elk will be pushed out that way, or at least not messed with as much. But I don't really want to pass prospective elk along the way unnecessarily.

PS edit: in response to comments of going deep and camping back there and being able to haul out an elk. 16 year old son will be with me so packing/hauling is shared. Not wanting to have input derailed into whether a first time elk hunter should be going deep or not. Really just looking for input focused specifically as to whether to hunt my way deep over a couple days, or just head straight back deep where I think elk might get pushed to, or at least less messed with.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
OP
Hogslayer

Hogslayer

FNG
PS: I will not have a base camp when hunting. I will be bringing camp with me and plan on staying out where the elk are and not coming back to the trailhead until im done.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I'd hunt your way in. This is an elk track IN my son's boot print. We had crossed that spot in the morning with a game plan to be 3 miles deep ASAP. We noticed the elk track in my son's boot print on our way back to the truck that afternoon. We probably should have slowed down a bit.

Attachments

• 20180831_162228.jpg
    20180831_162228.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 178
Advise you not go so far into spots you've never been for your first trip. You'll burn valuable time and energy hiking in and carrying your stuff.
You'll be a much greater advantage to spend that time and energy checking out 2 or 3 spots that are only 2-3 miles in!
My first elk hunt I loaded up a week's worth of food and hiked in 6 miles. There were no elk, just active wolf activity, and I hiked back out same day. 12 miles with all that crap was pretty silly and I learned my lesson the hard way! (I won't even mention the issues with shooting one so far back as I'm sure others will share their thoughts on that...)

Backyard

WKR
Last year on my way out the first morning with all my gear and intending on going in a ways, I had my first bull encounter 300 yds from the truck. So...

GregB

WKR
Just looking for strategy input. Not a newbie at backpack hunting. Thank you for the other input.
You may not be new to backpack hunting but you are to elk and packing them out. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at some sage advice from those that do have experience in regards to going in 6+ miles.

Last edited:
Hey man. It sounds like you got a good idea going out to scout. That is a huge plus and a lot of those questions will be answered on that trip. Mostly, your question of whether or not to hunt your way in will be a resounding yes. I'd imagine you will find plenty of good spots much closer to the trailhead, as anticipated. I know you asked not to derail the thread, but people are just trying to help based on their experiences.

In my experience in archery seasons, a lot of the elk from back in deep get pushed out towards the edges and in turn, closer to the trailhead. I do best in out of the way spots, steep and thick, lots of blowdown, regenerating aspen thicket, etc., surprisingly close to access. You sound like you are in shape, remember that most people simply cannot hunt 5 miles deep on foot. I like the 1-2.5 mile zone from the truck and just rip through spots, but good luck - everyone does it their own way and has their own style.

OP
Hogslayer

Hogslayer

FNG
Thanks for the input. I doubt I would pass one up if I had an opportunity on opening day to kill one 300 yds from the truck, but the idea of that bums me out. I am looking forward to the full immersion experience of solitude, no road noise, star gazing at night, and working hard. Getting one that close to the truck really would piss me off. (When I get older, my view might change). It would have to be a big one. I'm ok not harvesting one if after a week of hard hunting it doesn't happen. Ideally it would be on the 2nd to the last day after hunting my *ss off all week. Anyway, thanks for the good advice. I'm looking forward to the scouting trip. I'll update this after the hunt.

I like your scouting idea. The elk may not be exactly where they were in late July but having boots on the ground and getting a Idea of the lay of the land, good access points etc would be invaluable. Maybe your scouting trip will end up revealing a good location for your first campsite?

Warning: Try to stay fit over the years because I suspect you are about to get bit by the Elkfluenza. If you catch it, it's not a one time disease and the only cure is temporary and will push you towards the western mountains every year in the fall or winter. We who are worst infected will feel restless and mopey the fall and winter months the years we can't make the trip. There is no known permanent cure !

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
I would try really hard to add a couple extra days to your trip. I’ve had years where i only could go 6-7 days and it took 5 to get into them good- then it’s time to go that sucks

OP
Hogslayer

Hogslayer

FNG
Warning: Try to stay fit over the years because I suspect you are about to get bit by the Elkfluenza. If you catch it, it's not a one time disease and the only cure is temporary and will push you towards the western mountains every year in the fall or winter. We who are worst infected will feel restless and mopey the fall and winter months the years we can't make the trip. There is no known permanent cure !

I'm derailing my own thread now. Elk-fluenza, I like that! You are correct, I already have pre-elkfluenza. I googled where is the hardest least accessible place to hunt elk. I was staying up till 2am cyber scouting and placing waypoint pins all over my area on google earth for a couple weeks. I have an addictive personality, in that I dive in hard. I go to bed watching youtube elk videos. I've been a hunting addict all my life. My only regret is waiting until i was 52 to hunt elk. I don't like hunting the easy way. I've been antelope hunting a few times in S.E. Colorado just above new mexico. The guys I go with get their antelope on opening day rolling out of a truck and making a long shot. That's not my idea of hunting, thats shooting. I enjoyed crawling to see how close I could get to them and making my hunt last days. Getting so close to them that when I went to shoot, the buck was blurry because my scope was on 9x. I don't want my elk hunt to be over the day or the day after I get there. I want to savor it, and make it last. I am planning on hunting Colorado and Montana next year. I'm 52, I have to make up for lost time hunting elk. I hunt everything in the south, deer, hogs, bear, ducks, turkey. Time to head west while I can still carry sh*t on my back.

OP
Hogslayer

Hogslayer

FNG
I would try really hard to add a couple extra days to your trip. I’ve had years where i only could go 6-7 days and it took 5 to get into them good- then it’s time to go that sucks

I wish i could this year. Taking my son during his fall break. It's not long enough I know.

ElkNut1

WKR
OK, I've read the above posts including yours. (thread starter) It appears on the surface that you are very focused on a camping/backpacking trip out west for an awesome experience waaay over what it takes to kill elk. You evidently have come to the conclusion if you go deep enough you will find Dumb elk than hunters haven't messed with.

You need to focus much more on your calling, glassing, ambushing, etc. skills over what a good back-packer you may be, distance isn't the key to learning to hunt elk. This is the real deal if you truly want to kill a bull, that needs to be your 100% focus much more than being an experienced backpacker. It's important but low on the totem pole towards your success in comparison to being a versatile hunter!

I think it's awesome your 16 year old Son is part of your adventure. It sounds like you want to Run & Gun elk & not being an ambusher or spot & stalker. Whatever, be proficient at both! Both you & your Son need to be on the same page when it comes to elk hunting encounters & strategies, he can play a huge role in your success, take advantage of this! Good Luck!

ElkNut

OP
Hogslayer

Hogslayer

FNG
OK, I've read the above posts including yours. (thread starter) It appears on the surface that you are very focused on a camping/backpacking trip out west for an awesome experience waaay over what it takes to kill elk. You evidently have come to the conclusion if you go deep enough you will find Dumb elk than hunters haven't messed with.

You need to focus much more on your calling, glassing, ambushing, etc. skills over what a good back-packer you may be, distance isn't the key to learning to hunt elk. This is the real deal if you truly want to kill a bull, that needs to be your 100% focus much more than being an experienced backpacker. It's important but low on the totem pole towards your success in comparison to being a versatile hunter!

I think it's awesome your 16 year old Son is part of your adventure. It sounds like you want to Run & Gun elk & not being an ambusher or spot & stalker. Whatever, be proficient at both! Both you & your Son need to be on the same page when it comes to elk hunting encounters & strategies, he can play a huge role in your success, take advantage of this! Good Luck!

ElkNut
This is why people lurk in the shadows of forums and not engage. Lots of incorrect assumptions to which I have no interest in correcting or further discussing. Thread is closed from my perspective. You have the right name.