Archery Release HELP

Have been Shooting and Hunting Archery for several years now. Seems like wrist releases are a thing of the past now. I'd like to switch over to a thumb or hinge style but looking for input. Cost shouldn't be an issue, i've learned with archery you get what you pay for. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

carter and stan are reputable brands that would be good ones to start with. . i would buy used bc you are probably going to want to try a couple different ones but those two if you sell and bought used you usually get your money back. or if you have a shop that lets you try or at a shoot maybe a friend can let you try. its a pretty personal choice. the UV will lengthen your draw length bc of the longer neck. It felt good but thats an issue imo

Last edited:

Chuckybmd

WKR
For hunting I will always use the wrist release. Specifically because it’s hard to lose.

I never thought I would actually do this, but I forgot to bring a release last year during elk season. Fortunately, I had practiced shooting fingers enough. I was confident at least up to 30 yards.

I missed an opportunity on a spike bull, but I won’t be making that mistake again.

Venom One

WKR
I ditched my wrist release because I got tired of it getting in the way of using my hand (getting something from a pocket), or it would bang into things (rangefinder, etc) - I've never once thought of going back.

Hinges are really good for training, but I personally won't hunt with one as I want to control the shot timing. Others seem to have gotten very comfortable with a hinge and have no issue hunting with one.

For hunting, I'm a fan of a thumb release with an enclosed index. I find the enclosed index provides extra security against dropping the release and it allows you to hold it with one finger if necessary. A non-enclosed index will require at least a finger and thumb to hold onto it.

Lots of good options. I've had good luck with Carter and Tru Ball.

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
You can’t go wrong with Stan or Carter. You really should go to a bow shop that lets you try them out because they all fit and feel different for yourself.

GMann

FNG
Have been Shooting and Hunting Archery for several years now. Seems like wrist releases are a thing of the past now. I'd like to switch over to a thumb or hinge style but looking for input. Cost shouldn't be an issue, i've learned with archery you get what you pay for. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
What is your end goal? Just want something different? Target panic?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Jon_G

WKR
You won't believe how much research I did just this year on releases.

UV does make the smoothest release out there. The problem I had is the same as damn near every single person out there. My draw length had to be shortened half an inch and my knuckles were still behind my ear. So back to UV it went. Then I shot a Stan onnex and I thought it was the one. That is until I tried the TRU ball goat. The goat was smoother and just felt higher quality somehow. I could also shoot more and feel less finger fatigue. But that's just me personally.

I read many reviews that the goat was much better as a thumb then as a hinge, which if you weren't aware it does both. I agree with that. Then the Tru ball trident pro flex came out. I am not looking back from this one. It feels similar to the goat but has no cocking mechanism to have to reset. It resets itself instantly. After shooting it for a month almost every day I was lucky enough to try another UV button and again, I felt it smoother and better in the hand than any other. But again, I couldn't anchor properly with it. I contacted UV and their response was that most of their shooters just change their draw length or learn how to anchor in a new spot. I couldn't believe that was their answer lol.

I like the bigger trigger on the UV so I put one on my trident pro flex. I attached a picture. It looks like the trigger is touching the release but it isn't and it does have room for adjustability. I now feel like there's nothing better I could shoot for now. The trident pro is very smooth and feels better to me than the onnex like I said.

Not to disrespect anyone, but if you feel like target panic is worse with a thumb button then with an index release, then you are not shooting with proper shooting techniques. Don't ever punch the trigger and instead push your bow away from you while pulling back with your shooting hand as to "surprise yourself" and you won't know the shot is coming. This comes with practice and I still take plenty of bad shots like everyone else that's not a pro. This picture was last week at 40 yards. I would be lying if I said I shoot this group every 4-5 shot round that I shoot. But I have gotten much more consistent, again, with lots of practice.

Sorry for the long post, but there is no right answer which I guess is what I should have started with lol. With releases, you'll just have to experiment until you feel like you found the one.

Attachments

• 20230615_141033.jpg
    20230615_141033.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20230617_181655_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617_181655_Gallery.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 40

BLJ

WKR
I just switched to a Scott Pursuit. Way better “feel” than any index I’ve used and a wrist strap that makes me feel way more comfortable when I draw. It’s helped me a lot.

Wrist releases and .308…things of the past.

Not quite yet…….😁

imw001

FNG
I think the Nock 2 It is a fantastic tool, but I’m not thinking it will go into the woods with me this fall. A fair amount of my bow hunting opportunity is in moderate cold temps, and I don’t think I’ll be able to work with it when I have insulated gloves on.

For other cold weather archers, how do you work around gloves? I’ve seen some conversation about wearing a mitten that you take off to use your release … but that’s just seems like one more thing to handle, drop, lose, etc.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Carter Wise Choice.

My accuracy increased with a thumb release shot with back tension, but the biggest change for me was being comfortable with a very consistent and repeatable anchor point. I never liked how I anchored with a wrist release and tried a few different ways with it.
I think the Nock 2 It is a fantastic tool, but I’m not thinking it will go into the woods with me this fall. A fair amount of my bow hunting opportunity is in moderate cold temps, and I don’t think I’ll be able to work with it when I have insulated gloves on.

For other cold weather archers, how do you work around gloves? I’ve seen some conversation about wearing a mitten that you take off to use your release … but that’s just seems like one more thing to handle, drop, lose, etc.

I wear a muff and light merino glove when it’s below 20* or so. Otherwise, I just stick to wearing no glove or a merino glove and keep my hands in a coat pocket once I’m set up.

Rob5589

WKR
A wrist release isn't a thing of the past. You could try a quality wrist release, not the cheapo ones many use. Give a handheld a go and see what you think. I did but went back to a wrist held; Stan Extinction 2.

Last edited:

Swamp Fox

WKR
The Stan Xtinction2 is a good heads-up.

I'm surprised I'm not seeing Scott releases mentioned more. I notice on their website they seem to have moved away from anodized camo finishes. I'm sure the critters don't care, and I'm guessing it was a cost-cutting measure, but that new green finish is a little yoogly.