Archery Release HELP

7mm-08

WKR
Just for fun, try a high-quality tension release. I shot a wrist strap index finger release for many years and never thought I had target panic or form issues. I was bored and decided to read Bernie Pellerite's book, "Idiot Proof Archery, How to Shoot Like a Pro Step by Step (Even if You have a Real Job!)." The book is not in danger of winning a National Book Award, but you can find some fantastic nuggets of information in it. What I can say is that target archers can teach hunting archers a whole lot - especially shot sequence and the basics of consistently executing a surprise shot. I started shooting a Carter Evolution and the first time I let an arrow go, it scared the crap out of me. After I took the time to mess with it a little and understand its theory, I never looked back and I have hunted successfully with it for the last ten years.

I, too, endorse the advice to get a lot of different releases and find what is right for you. I went down a rabbit hole that I never (really) knew existed, to my tremendous benefit. Hope it goes well for you, but this could be a multi-year endeavor.

I shot a wrist release for a couple of years when I first started with compound. I had bad target panic and I didn't even know it. When I picked up compound again in December last year I briefly shot the wrist release and decided I needed to try some other releases to help me out mentally. This is also coming from a trad background so the idea of shooting under increasing tension/expansion is in my head but it's easier to execute with some handheld releases.

Been shooting hinges lately and haven't looked back, but I do have a thumb button on the way, and I also have a Stan resistance release here. Thumb button is for my wife to try and the Stan is for me to keep reminding myself the proper way to execute the shot.

One thing to keep in mind is that plenty of people may tell you to not hunt with a hinge, but I would say to hunt with whatever is most comfortable.

I used the Carter wise choice and loved them until the Ultraview Button came out. Best release I’ve ever used. Now gotta sell off the Carters.

I started with a wrist. Went to a thumb. Went back to a wrist. If the problem is target panic, the thumb will make it worse.
I disagree, a thumb button should help, you just need to be taught to shoot it correctly.
You can squeeze with any release; it's just being properly taught in the first place that counts.

I think switching to a handheld can help a little bit just being something totally different and having to relearn it anyway.

imw001

FNG
I disagree, a thumb button should help, you just need to be taught to shoot it correctly.
You can squeeze with any release; it's just being properly taught in the first place that counts.

I think switching to a handheld can help a little bit just being something totally different and having to relearn it anyway.
Recommended resources for learning how to shoot a thumb button? I’ve watched a little bit of the Nock On stuff, and I know there’s a lot more there, but curious if there are other good places to read about it or watch demonstrations.

Jon_G

WKR
Recommended resources for learning how to shoot a thumb button? I’ve watched a little bit of the Nock On stuff, and I know there’s a lot more there, but curious if there are other good places to read about it or watch demonstrations.

Watch how his thumb doesn't press the trigger. Think of your thumb as a hook that you can't flex. Instead it's just there so as you pull your anchor hand back your thumb, or that hook I talked about, will inevitably press on the trigger without you flexing it to push the button. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't I'll try to rephrase.

Here's a few I found helpful.

This one isn't thumb button specific, but it sure helps with target panic.

runnhunt

FNG
It's all personal preference. I switch between a wrist release and a thumb release ...that is, until I lost my thumb release somewhere in the woods. :(

A wrist release isn't a thing of the past. You could try a quality wrist release, not the cheapo ones many use. Give a handheld a go and see what you think. I did but went back to a wrist held; Stan Extinction 2.
THIS. Especially the "quality wrist release." Probably the most difficult part is finding something quality. $40 will get the job done, but the consistency is lacking and you usually can't adjust anything. A lot of the cheap caliper jaw (single or double) have consistency issues, terrible straps and no adjustability. This makes all the difference in getting in that repeatability needed for consistent anchor. To get something like that it's not cheap, and to get one with a "sear" it's easily $100 to get in the door. Many $150+
Just for kicks here is a list of releases I have shot- Spoiler Alert- I try a lot of things.....because I like to tinker. It's a problem....

Wrist:
Scotty Itty Bitty Goose, Scott Silverhorn, Spot Hogg Wiseguy (boa/buckle, rigid and nylon), Carter Like Mike1, Tru Ball Fang, Stan Extinction 2, B3 Hawk, B3 Claw, Carter Rx1. All these releases had things I was drawn too, either simplicity, adjustability, trigger feel, but as I experimented I learned I wanted a trigger that felt like my thumbs and so ....currently shooting the Rx1 and really like it. Great trigger and fully adjustable. I shot the stan Extinction 2 for years as well, until it was discontinued. It is also amazing. Great trigger and fully adjustable. I am considering a Scott S2, a double sear design, fully adjustable. The double sear would make it a similar trigger feel to a thumb I have shot. But as I said it's $179....

Thumb: Carter Insatiable, Hot Shot Vapor, Tru Ball Blade Pro Flex, Stan Perfex, Stan Onnex, Carter Wise Choice, UV Thumb Button (only tested at the shop), Carter Too Simple. Currently using the Too Simple. Fits my draw length and a great trigger. The Stan Perfex (discontinued) and Onnex have more adjustability (d/t to the 2,3,4 finger, and multiple post and thumb barrel sizes and rotation) and I would use them again for sure. I shot the Perfex and then sold it for the Onnex. Same with the Wise Choice. It's essentially a Too simple with a longer neck and enclosed first finger. I liked the UV but as others have said it lengthens the draw length waayyyy too much. If they every shorten the neck length I will for sure look at it hard. The Carter Too Simple is a short neck and gives me a better consistent anchor.

Hinge: Stan Morex 4 finger, UV1, Stan Onnex. Shot the Onnex the most as I was also running the Thumb version and thought I could train with the hinge and then hunt with the thumb. Decided I didn't want the hinge as I wanted a slightly shorter neck. Again the UV1 was tested only in the shop, but the long neck did me in.

I have only hunted with a wrist strap, so far. Prolly going to try to hunt with a thumb though. I train all off season with a thumb. You can shoot a wrist strap like a hinge or thumb using your pull through and back muscles. But I found that to accomplish this a handheld is the best teacher so it's worth having both, for me anyway. I also think the way you set up your wrist strap can promote more pull through in the short versus the trigger punch.

If you are interested in something specific on this list, let me know and I can giver a better rundown on what I thought, maybe it'll save you some cash!

For other cold weather archers, how do you work around gloves? I’ve seen some conversation about wearing a mitten that you take off to use your release … but that’s just seems like one more thing to handle, drop, lose, etc.
I hunt in MN and it gets pretty cold sometimes, mostly I hunt out of treestands so I'll just stand with my hands in my pockets for the most part. I wear thin gloves and always toss Hot Hands handwarmers in my pockets when I leave the truck. They're plenty warm by the time I get out to the stand. That works for me. If it's real cold like below 0, I might wear a thicker pair of gloves out to the stand, but when I'm on stand, its thin gloves and hot hands.

m4ddis

FNG
Have been Shooting and Hunting Archery for several years now. Seems like wrist releases are a thing of the past now. I'd like to switch over to a thumb or hinge style but looking for input. Cost shouldn't be an issue, i've learned with archery you get what you pay for. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Wrist release for hunting all day long. Save the thumbs and back tensions for the off season to keep target panic in check. Too much can go wrong fumbling for a thumb release in the heat of the moment! Especially if you need that hand to zap a yardage or hit the call.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Made the switch to a hinge earlier this year. Lost my mind for a good 6 weeks or so but just stick with it. Now i dont think i am ever going back to an index, not even for hunting. I have the B3 Ranger, highly reccomend. I like having a strap with my release no matter what type

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Index, thumb, hinge, they are all good. Just pick quality and features you like. I have a little of everything and last week I bought a Scott Longhorn Pro Micro hinge and just think that is the coolest thing I have tried yet.

Zac

WKR
If your not solving a problem with a new release then you may well be creating one. Also you will probably abandon the new release once you realize that like anything your going to have to suck worse than you did before you made the change.