Arctic Air Unguided Caribou Hunt

Slugz

WKR
I think I'm just gonna have to trust Russ Meyers out of outdoor international. Family has been friends with him for quite a few years. He goes with AA
This was my thinking this year. My gut is telling me.
1) Artic Air is running their outfit like a factory.
2) Below Avg communication when things get tough.
3) Im hoping this one isnt true but perception is when it got tough this year they cancelled alot of hunters trips because they have no back up plans or flexibility. One float one pilot.
4) It would appear Im hearing the same excuses, comments, phrases from Artic Air this year that others have heard and posted here.

I really do hope Im wrong but my gut is telling me different.

Last edited:

Chuckybmd

WKR
This was my thinking this year. My gut is telling me.
1) Artic Air is running their outfit like a factory.
2) Below Avg communication when things get tough.
3) Im hoping this one isnt true but perception is when it got tough this year they cancelled alot of hunters trips because they have no back up plans or flexibility. One float one pilot.
4) It would appear Im hearing the same excuses, comments, phrases from Artic Air this year that others have heard and posted here.

I really do hope Im wrong but my gut is telling me different.
Everything you say here is true. I was one of the canceled hunters this year. I’m going to do a dedicated post but am still trying to get over it.

They screwed quite a few of us over we sat in the hotel for four days. Communication was terrible. Those who did make it out in the hunt I went to the same place that was over hunted.

Other carriers had multiple planes and took advantage of windows of time where they could fly. Arctic air has one plane one pilot and it’s a pontoon plane, with severely limits where you can go. I had no idea this was the case. Honestly they did so poorly I think they planned on failing to get some of us out just to keep the cost down. We saw absolutely nothing, food equipment, or anything that we paid for.

I would seriously consider canceling your trips with them, definitely do not book with them.

I was one of the hunt groups that used AA and was delayed getting into the field and getting out. I think there are lot's of variables to consider on how this didn't go well for some and how it could have been better. I have no desire to bash AA but if you have a hunt booked for 22 or 23 I would be happy to give you my perspective, PM me. IMG_1119.jpegIMG_1130.jpeg

Chuckybmd

WKR
I was one of the hunt groups that used AA and was delayed getting into the field and getting out. I think there are lot's of variables to consider on how this didn't go well for some and how it could have been better. I have no desire to bash AA but if you have a hunt booked for 22 or 23 I would be happy to give you my perspective, PM me. View attachment 323952View attachment 323950
I’m genuinely glad you had a good hunt. You are very fortunate.

We have the contact info for 18 hunters who were canceled by AA. There are figures as high as 28.

I have it on good authority that ram air did not cancel any hunts.

This is by no means an attempt to bash on anybody but these are the facts.

I wish that I had someone to tell me this information and I would have chosen differently.

TSAMP

WKR
I’m genuinely glad you had a good hunt. You are very fortunate.

We have the contact info for 18 hunters who were canceled by AA. There are figures as high as 28.

I have it on good authority that ram air did not cancel any hunts.

This is by no means an attempt to bash on anybody but these are the facts.

I wish that I had someone to tell me this information and I would have chosen
I think what happened is awful and I encourage all those involved to continue the efforts. Especially if you used someone like outdoor International to book.

" I wish I knew" doesnt sit well with me. I'm sympathetic to the situation, especially because I know how costly the hotels are in Kotz. But any amount of research would have led an individual to realize AA is a Controversial flight service to say the least.

I really hope the stranded groups that got sent home get taken care of, and if you used a "booking agent" I hope you blow them up as well.

Keep us posted

Chuckybmd

WKR
I think what happened is awful and I encourage all those involved to continue the efforts. Especially if you used someone like outdoor International to book.

" I wish I knew" doesnt sit well with me. I'm sympathetic to the situation, especially because I know how costly the hotels are in Kotz. But any amount of research would have led an individual to realize AA is a Controversial flight service to say the least.

I really hope the stranded groups that got sent home get taken care of, and if you used a "booking agent" I hope you blow them up as well.

Keep us posted
Thank you for taking the opportunity to rub it in. I hope you got out of it what you wanted to.

From what I can see there are quite a few posts on here that support arctic air as a carrier. A lot of this information is not well known to others.

I did purchase this from a booking agent that I trusted which makes it even all the more upsetting.

TSAMP

WKR
To be fair I did the exact same thing. I took advantage of a "cancellation hunt" through a big name hunt reseller. They called about as much as a crazy ex gf would until you pay. I never heard a word post hunt. I gave them a second try on a hog hunt that was misrepresented at best. After reflecting on it. I was being lazy, I thought they would do all the leg work of "vetting" outfitters for me. The truth is they are just like a realtor. They aren't shopping hard for your dream house, they are shopping hard for one that's juuuust good enough you'll buy it.

Its an attractive option for a new hunter to take, but the internet is a big world and you can vet your own outfitters, this websites a great resource. Or as the kids say now. "Do your own research"

AKBorn

WKR
Thank you for taking the opportunity to rub it in. I hope you got out of it what you wanted to.

From what I can see there are quite a few posts on here that support arctic air as a carrier. A lot of this information is not well known to others.

I did purchase this from a booking agent that I trusted which makes it even all the more upsetting.
I hope you and the others share all of the painful details, and all include any different booking agents that were used. If they are pushing certain transporters or other services, they have a responsibility to vet them thoroughly before they start selling their services.

I will say that most of the words I have heard/read over the past 2 decades about booking agents for remote AK hunts has been negative.

with the wealth of information online these days i am not quite sure why anyone would want to use a booking agent for a hunt. I feel like that service is from a time in the past just like using a booking agent for vacations. there is more information online between the 2 main ak forums then one could ever read. There is also many hunt planners up here as well that could assist in planning a hunt 100 times better then some booking agent down south. sorry to hear about their short comings and bad business.

We arrived in town the 20th scheduled to fly in the 21st. We had a group of 5 in front of us and another group of two flying with the two of us. We didn't get into the field until Monday and were told our hunt days would not be extended so we essentially felt like we had four days. Our first hunt day was Tuesday and we got after it. Dropped our first bull on Wednesday and our second bull on Thursday. The communication wasn't good at times, it did however become obvious mid week that AA was behind because another camp near us was due out of the field Tuesday and didn't get their flight out until Friday evening. This communication would have been nice to know because I would have been more patient in my harvest. Needless to say we did not get out Saturday or Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, it wasn't until Wednesday. Two things that frustrated me most. First, when they flew into our Lake on Friday they could have offered to take our meat and horns, the other hunters lost their meat and suffered damage to their horns due to bears. Ours hadn't been touched yet but later into the week we ended up loosing it all to bears despite our best efforts, they even chewed up my skull pretty good, should make an interesting Euro mount, haha but not real funny. Second, It would have been nice to have better communication in order to re arrange my flight, I basically bought another ticket and spent way more than I should have.
I expected to have obstacles but communication doesn't cost a dime and I thought they didn't communicate well enough. I'm glad we got to go, we took some nice animals but this experience has left me leery to take another trip like this. One plane and one pilot with no plan B is failure waiting for opportunity.

KID

FNG
As a few of you already know, I booked with AA planned for a year and a half, got cancelled, paid more money, all hell broke loose and we were cancelled again. We paid in increments over a long period of time (so no refunds from the bank or credit card) and signed every contract you could think up. Used a booking agent in which my people new their people and so on. Had insurance it failed.... My gear never left the basement. Might be bad luck or failure on my part to do my own research. I've learned a lot of lessons. I will not recommend AA for anyone. Do your own research and planning!!!! And pay as late as you possibly can!!! I'm happy for anyone successful with this outfit but it's proven to be a crap shoot as of late

Slugz

WKR
Any updates to this post hunt season?

My insurance claim is going through the process.

Slugz

WKR
Can anyone answer this? I’ve just booked August dates with Artic Air would love some info on the owner. I went through Russ Meyer also so I figured if he vouched for him it should be fine, but after reading this I’ve now got concerns.
I did the same. Trusted Outdoor Internationals vetting system. Bad move on my part.

KID

FNG
We just received an email from AA inc stating they would offer up hunt dates for next year or 2024 . But we would have to pay the difference in fuel. We would once again be paying more money with no insurance. We cant do this again. It's like going to a carnival and throwing darts at one balloon on the wall blindfolded we can't justify it. At this point I'd be happy with my 1087 dollars I paid her for this years rebook and walk away

KID

FNG
We had insurance last year but they wouldn't cover a ( pandemic). I hope they do good on you and your group Slugz

Slugz

WKR
We got the same email. Insurance seems to be working out. One guy from the group got paid. Mine is inwork.

Based upon the following.

1) Storied history of the owners. Rumour/internet search produces 3 companies owned in the last 15 years. Jail, bankruptcy.
2) Poor operational planning. 2 planes/ 1 pilot. Appears overbooking and no backup plans. Camps on same lakes. Float only plane.
3) Poor communication. Attitude, email etiquette.
4) Hunting Consultant we used appears to have a subpar vetting process.

I will never use AA or the hunting consultant company we used. Im still investigating two other points to add to the above list but I only deal in facts. Ill post later if what I think/percieve is true.

KID

FNG
Yea seams they go out of their way to make a booking agents trip great. Then for the rest of their customers it's all a money grab. It really makes the booking agent end of this process look pointless. Me and my dad decided to go to Anchorage and jump on a fishing boat during our Hunt dates. Planned everything ourselves went straight to the fishing charters. Everything done on a wim and had a great time. From now on I'm calling the outfitters and doing my own planning. Biggest lesson I learned in the whole process.