Are DIY Dehydrated Meals Worth it?

I’m wanting to make my own meals this year and curious if this strategy would work:
Could I take a cooked meal, weigh out my serving portion and then dehydrate. Afterwards, weigh the dehydrated serving and then I’d have an exact weight of the water that is missing. Would adding that amount of water be the perfect amount?

Is that what you are describing @gadrahthaar ?
A good rule of thumb is 50 grams dehydrated meat/protein and 100 grams of dehydrated veggies/carbs per meal. A small cheap food scale and you’re set. I can’t remember exactly where I found the info if it was on a camping site I was reading through or a YouTube video on DIY meals. As far as amount of water for rehydrating, I’ve found that just filling the bag to the level of the food is usually spot on.

I usually do about 60/90, 60/100, 60/120 depending on the meal and what the day’s or next day’s work load is. Definitely try out the portions before you take it to the woods.

Brendan

WKR
I can go 30 miles in for 10 days, living only off what I carried in my backpack and water that I find.

But counting on homemade dehydrated food that won't make me sick... I ain't That Brave! LOL

I'll put my trust in the Pros such as Mountain House and the like for that. And really, I think that stuff is not too bad, and even better in the woods! I went a in for couple years before discovering the MH Blueberry cheese cake!!!

10 Days of MH would make me sick. I'd much rather eat homemade venison chili, much healthier and save $$$ too. Great use for shanks and grind when you're trying to clear out the freezer before the season too.

Food like Heather's Choice is much better, but you're looking at $150 for 10 dinners.

Haven't bought or eaten a store bought meal since the 90's. Have the meals in freezer bags and add boiling water and pop them in an insulated cozy. Wait a few minutes and dinner! You can dry just about anything that's not too oily (oil doesn't dry and can get rancid). I do buy some stuff like Ova Easy eggs and some bulk meats. Some tips are pre cook any pasta before drying. Use leftovers from dinner at home like spaghetti. Just try them at home before you go. I have even freeze dried ketchup.
If you don't mind what is your process? I have a round dehydrator with like 4-6 removable "racks" that have grate like screens. wet material will just ooze through - chili for ex - how do you dehydrate that?

Brendan

WKR
If you don't mind what is your process? I have a round dehydrator with like 4-6 removable "racks" that have grate like screens. wet material will just ooze through - chili for ex - how do you dehydrate that?

You get trays or silicone liners to prevent that from happening. Many available online if you don't have them.

87TT

WKR
Cut a piece of parchment paper to cover the tray. just make a hole for the air to come up that middle hole in the tray and don't cover the edge vents on the outside of the tray. The food won't stick to the parchment paper. They have it near the cooking and baking supplies.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
10 Days of MH would make me sick. I'd much rather eat homemade venison chili, much healthier and save $$$ too. Great use for shanks and grind when you're trying to clear out the freezer before the season too.

Food like Heather's Choice is much better, but you're looking at $150 for 10 dinners.

I liken MH to poison ivy. Over time your body builds up a reaction to it. As a kid I could use poison ivy as a washcloth and not break out; now it seems if I get within a foot of the stuff I am broke out all over...back in the day I lived off of MH. Now just seeing or hearing those two words together I have to fight the vomit reflex...

Hawk Vittles and Heather’s Choice are EXCELLENT alternatives in available to buy meals that I will keep on hand to supplement my home made. Off Grid Foods has great breakfast stuff I’ve not tried the newer meals.

That’s the way to do it. I always add more water; I don’t mind any ring a little “soupy” and I don’t think I ever get enough water in the backcountry.

I also realized that dehydrated pot roast dinner is an AWESOME snack without water
I have not tried to eat the dry stuff, but totally agree with the first part. If you like something a certain viscosity, you can match water exactly but I find that a little extra water speeds up the rehydrate and leaves you less large chunks of whichever poorly chopped vegi staying dry in the middle. If you don't like the soupy feel, consider adding powdered gelatin (protein from collagen, often hooves) after the hot water.

Did a 16 day fly in wolf hunt so most of our food was standard dehydrated food (fruit,mountain house etc) but I did take some homemade chili patties that were honestly pretty good and easy to eat. Put chili in those red and white French fry "boats" and put in a dehydrater. It'll come out as a hard bar that can either be rehydrated with hot water or eaten as a bar although it is a tad crunchy. Does make for some interesting smells with 2 guys in a small tent though.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Dehydrated some red beans and rice I had leftover as a test run. Next time I‘ll cube the sausage smaller so it dehydrates more quickly. How long does it take for fat(sausage in this case) to spoil when dehydrated? 15.6oz of red beans and rice turned into 4.5oz. 66% water weight.
77DDE2B1-A6B1-4316-B6F3-E033845E212B.jpeg

87TT

WKR
Anything with fat or oil (butter etc.) will get rancid depending on temperature. Oil does not dehydrate or dry. If you cook the meat and then rise it in warm water to remove as much of the fat as possible, it helps. When you make it ahead of time, store it in the freezer until you leave and it will hold up for a few days depending on the temps. Cold weather helps. Another trick is make meatless meals and add (after dehydrating) commercial freeze dried meats from a backpacking supplier. Same with cheese, they make freeze dried in bulk.

Brendan

WKR
Here was my experience with meat this year. Used venison / elk grind so low fat to start. Lightly rinsed in a colander to get as much fat out as possible after cooking. Cooked in chili with a lot of spice, hot pepper, and tomato sauce which I think helps preserve. Mine sat for maybe a month before I used them without dehydrating, and I didn't have an issue with any. They were sealed in mylar with an oxygen absorber packet in each. Added back in single serve olive oil packets.

YMMV.

I like numerous freeze dried brands and recipes but there’s very few of the recipes that don’t leave me bloated with tons of gas the whole next day. I’d rather not chance a shart while sitting glassing all day haha.

For me it’s totally worth it cause I know exactly what I’m eating, I can make just about any meal I want. It saves me money. For instance, I’ll make a batch of green chili venison and bean burritos for 5$ and I’m able to get 8 dinners out of it. They also sell vacuum seal bags that stand up, foil or heat reflective, and resealable just like freeze dried food bags at the store. Thus allowing you to only use fuel just enough to get water to boil. Instead of cooking in the water wasting more fuel as you are thinking could happen.
Can you post a link to these bags? I found Mylar food storage bags but haven’t found any vacuum bags.

My results have been hit or miss. Try it at home before you take it on the trail. Plenty of easy prep options that don’t require dehydrating too.

Some of these recipes were good:

Backpacker has some good recipes and tips too.

The fat isn't as big a deal as folks are saying. I have added fat (usually butter) to meals for simplicity and eating months later and even a year later out of the freezer it is fine. Shared some year old chili on a fishing trip and no one knew until I told em they were eating my old backpacking food. How come the oil in your cupboard is ok but a vacuum baged meal goes rancid? Just fry your grind and use, it won't go bad that fast, I promise.

87TT

WKR
Oil is not animal fat. Yes it can last a few days at cooler temps. It's best to store in the freezer until you are ready to go. Animal fat, including butter will spoil. Same as your elk or deer after you dress it out.

RS3579

WKR
I found the Mountain House meals are not that bad. You have to find the ones you like. I don’t eat enough of freeze dried to spend the time to make the homemade meals.

KBC

WKR
I can go 30 miles in for 10 days, living only off what I carried in my backpack and water that I find.

But counting on homemade dehydrated food that won't make me sick... I ain't That Brave! LOL

I'll put my trust in the Pros such as Mountain House and the like for that. And really, I think that stuff is not too bad, and even better in the woods! I went a in for couple years before discovering the MH Blueberry cheese cake!!!

Come on man are you that bad of a cook? ;)