Are Sitka and FL worth the money?

Kenn1320

FNG
I only have the sitka neck gator and the first sit was a cold windy day. It was expensive in the store, but money well spent in the stand. It's my favorite piece of clothing, planning on getting the fanatic coat and bibs

rawask

FNG
To answer the title of the thread, IMHO... Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely worth the money. I did a lot of research and trial and Error to figure out what works best for me. I didn’t have Sitka and first light when I first started and I was the guy who was to cold, to hot, all sweaty and wet then had issues. Now I don’t have the problem. My cousin made the switch after one year in sentlok clothing that did not breathe at all. Now we hike and hunt all day and talk how dumb we were when we first started hunting.

If you have time look for sales or find talk forums/groups where people are selling gear. Make sure and use PayPal goods and services and pay the damn fee. It’s worth it to be covered if someone try’s to screw you over.

Rdcheney

FNG
I hunted for years in cheap Walmart/ off brand type stuff and killed a lot of deer in it. But now that I’m a little older, I get cold easier plus the way I hunt has drastically changed. The new gear lets me stay out longer, push further back in, and be more comfortable. Without a doubt worth the money in my opinion.

CP6

FNG
After wearing all three of the “big brands” over several seasons, in various weather conditions and using them A LOT, I can say the following for a fact:

-If it’s raining, good rain gear is worth it.
-If it’s cold, warm insulating layers are worth it.
-If you’re hiking all day and gaining/losing altitude, pants that fit and stretch are worth it.

Otherwise...na ;)

Oh and my two cents are Kuiu/Sitka are worth the money, you can usually find it discounted if you’re patient. First Lite was just meh. Decent, but aside from their wool, I think the other two have better offerings and better fabric tech. (Don’t flame me, it’s my opinion haha).

Rock-o

WKR
I don't have a lot of fancy "performance" (er uh "technical") hunting clothing. Just a few pieces from Kuiu. In my limited use so far they have done very well for me. BUT, they are all camo. I don't want any more camo, so my next purchases will be solids... which pretty much leaves Sitka out since almost none of the pieces I would buy have solid options. Kuiu and First Lite have the best options for me. I'll likely lean to First Lite to try them out.

For most clothing related purchases you can get away with spending less and finding an alternative. The most important exception is in your waterproof layer. Spend the money. there is no replacement for being dry.

Ethan-333

FNG
Yes. I’ve been building my Sitka collection over the last few years. Everything I buy is used, unless somebody gifts it to me. Tons of deals to be found on “NWOT or used twice” items that are 50% less than retail. I highly recommend you at least try it, but don’t advise you pay full price for it.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Besides the obvious quality jump in them vs. other hunting clothes, the biggest thing that makes them worthwhile to me is fit. I'm a tall, athletic guy and most traditional hunting clothes fit terribly. In my sizes especially (XL tops) they tend to be made for a guy who definitely has much more extra on him. All that excess material makes things bulky, heavy, and far less comfortable.

I blend a lot of traditional outdoor clothing companies (Arcteryx, Outdoor Research, Icebreaker, and Smartwool primarily) in with my hunting clothes and you can definitely save money that way if you're just looking for solids. But as I archery hunt and turkey hunt, I find camo to be a necessity often times.

I would say yes, it has lasted me a long time so I have definitely gotten my money's worth!

The answer for me is, no. But, as mentioned before, hunting clothing is such a personal choice. Also, very much depends on what you're doing. Stationary tree stand hunting with a short walk in, in the Midwest, is going to be different than hunting in southern Utah in early September. I've found that some early season gear from some companies is better than others and same with the late season gear. I've owned FL, Sitka and Kuiu. I've enjoyed almost everything from each of those companies. I've recently switched over to SKRE. So far, I think it's just as good, or at least close to as good for less than the other brands. Direct to consumer model helps keep price down.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spoon063

FNG
I’ve been slowly upgrading my gear over the last several years. I went the cheap route for almost my entire life. My 2cents is this : it’s relative and justified to the user if a few things are taken into consideration. I’ll use an example.... I used to work in the cycling industry, and built high end racing bicycles for road cycling teams (like lance armstrong type bikes). There are your standard typical “road bikes” that start getting getting competitive on features and lightweight options around say $2k. After that you start clinging in price for performance upgrades/dropping the weight of the bike. Now the average user may or may not justify the cost of the weight being a few ounces lighter, but the avid racer is. After about $5k for a bike that weighs say 14.5 lbs, it generally costs about $1k to shed another 1lb off that bike. So for the weekend warriors, they need to decide if the technology/features, that were designed for the avid consumer, are worth it for their needs and/or how pleasant they want the experience to be when they do use it.

the same goes for the higher end gear companies. The r&d that is required to break away from what makes a cheap brand a cheap brand, costs money to develop. From my personal experience and in my humble opinion, yes. If you seek higher quality gear, to eliminate small annoying issues, this is what the little extra money buys. The r&d that addresses those little issues, to make your use and experience better.

I’ve been using First Lite now for the last few years and can honestly say I’m more than happy with just about every aspect of it.

I have plenty of Sitka and I think its worth the money it holds up great and holds its value well