Arizona late archery unit 23

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
Have drawn a late season archery tag for Arizona unit 23 was hoping to get in a few scouting trips to look over the unit but life got in the way and was unable to make that happen have been going over google earth and maps Wondering if anyone that has some knowledge of the unit might be willing to share some info I will have the full season to hunt and a few days before to scout around

Thanks in advance

23 late is tough. I live in this unit and late hunt it every year. I have it again this year with my brother in law and my buddy. Shoot me a pm and we can get together on the phone. Its really about what you are looking for and how hard you wanna hunt. Lots of road hunters, we tend to get back into areas that are 3-5 miles in. But there are other places just with more people and traffic. PM and we can chat. Willing to help you out

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_E2921.jpg

Brian, congrats on getting it done on this hunt!

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for myself but it's not for lack of trying.

Unit 23 in Arizona is next-level tough for archery hunting elk spot and stalk. Getting to the animals in a timely manner quietly enough is borderline impossible, though I did give it my best and got close a few times, including on this bull.

It was great meeting you and thanks again for your generosity.

Richard

AZElk

FNG
23 late is tough. I live in this unit and late hunt it every year. I have it again this year with my brother in law and my buddy. Shoot me a pm and we can get together on the phone. Its really about what you are looking for and how hard you wanna hunt. Lots of road hunters, we tend to get back into areas that are 3-5 miles in. But there are other places just with more people and traffic. PM and we can chat. Willing to help you out

That is the way to do it

OP
K

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
Rich you definitely put in 125% I don’t think you cold have tried any harder definitely got to learn a lot about the unit it is big and tough Lots of good country and I only looked at a very small portion. It is extremely tough to spot and stalk The terrain is so noisy I was fortunate to meet some very good and generous fellow hunters willing to work together and share information
I was fortunate enough to fill my tag on a decent 6x6.
Thanks again Hunterdad04 and congrats on your father in laws bull

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I drew the 23 late archery tag this year. Hunt starts in a few weeks. I have been down and otc archery hunted the unit for deer the past two seasons to serve as scouting purposes once I drew the elk tag. Ive been down in January to deer hunt but this hunt is a couple months before that obviously. I would love to chat with any of you who have been down and hunted the unit during November and can share some information. Please shoot me a pm or a text message at 801-712-4208.

I am willing to work hard and go the extra 10 miles to get into an area to get it done. I was able to harvest OTC 5 and 6 point bulls in IDaho and Utah this year, all backcountry, backpack style hunts, public land diy, so I am no stranger to hard work.

Thank you.

bigharge

WKR
I was in there with my son back in the first of October for the youth hunt and found bulls all over the place. No idea if they are still around the areas we were in but if you are hunting in the NE area of the unit I can point you to where they were a month ago, lol

Good luck, was my first time in that unit and would love to one day pull a bull tag out of there

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
This hunt opened up my eyes to the meaning of thick country. Even the burns have over grown and are thick. It was a very difficult year with the drought and I held out for a good bull the entire hunt. The last couple of days, I lessened my standard and was willing to shoot anything branch antlered and I thought I made that determination too late. But, in the last minutes of day light on the very last day of the season (having hunted the entire hunt) I killed a small raghorn bull. For which I am very proud given the effort I put into this hunt.

I talked to the game warden toward the end of the hunt and he said he was aware of only 5 bulls being killed, and all were small bulls.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_7350 (1).jpg

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
This hunt opened up my eyes to the meaning of thick country. Even the burns have over grown and are thick. It was a very difficult year with the drought and I held out for a good bull the entire hunt. The last couple of days, I lessened my standard and was willing to shoot anything branch antlered and I thought I made that determination too late. But, in the last minutes of day light on the very last day of the season (having hunted the entire hunt) I killed a small raghorn bull. For which I am very proud given the effort I put into this hunt.

I talked to the game warden toward the end of the hunt and he said he was aware of only 5 bulls being killed, and all were small bulls.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 83112

Congrats on getting it done! Filling that tag is no small feat, especially spot & stalk.

Did the F&G guy say how many of those five were shot over water? Last year the only bulls we were aware of were taken by sitting on tanks.

aapurdy

FNG
drew november archery elk tag. doing online intel. got another guy from payson with intel. planning on staying is wall tent aroung young and spiking out with side by side and on foot with packs on back. looking into initially checking out gordon canyon and marsh creek. open to any suggestions. in good shape. san carlos/or reservations worth looking into? spending full two weeks in november. got good glass and planning on using them. anything you can offer would be great and reciprocated. 8067871550

Ddan33

FNG
Drew this tag this year (2021) and will hopefully be making a trip in Late October before the middle of November season to scout. Curious how/where water is this year and where the best areas to focus on would be. Know it will be a tough hunt but want to at least give myself a chance and do whatever it takes. Any advice is welcome!

MorganRR

FNG
Hey Ddan33 curious to see how your hunt went this hunt has been on my radar for a while and looking to pick your brain about your experience