Ark vs Duplex, a comparison review

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I know a stand will scratch up a Kuiu CF frame pretty badly. But yeah, I never heard of that compromising the integrity of the frame sheet.

Maybe the CF will actually wear harder than fabric wrapped stays. Idk.

But I think rubbing noise would possibly be a bigger annoyance. Even as tight as things can be locked down with modern systems, it seems like it doesn’t take much for screeches and squeaks to come about.

Maybe it’s nothing, but I’m inclined to run a stand against fabric wrapped…or taped.
This is great stuff. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have a decibel sound meter. I’m hoping to add some objectivity to a sound test versus just saying this one is noisy. This one is not.

I was planning on doing a noise test with the different bag materials, but I will also try to include something on the carbon fiber frame itself.

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks for taking the time to offer up your opinion on the two frames.

My question is - can the Ark lumbar pad work on the DL frame?

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
This is great stuff. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have a decibel sound meter. I’m hoping to add some objectivity to a sound test versus just saying this one is noisy. This one is not.

I was planning on doing a noise test with the different bag materials, but I will also try to include something on the carbon fiber frame itself.

Indeed. Let science prevail.

The commercial Ark seems to have a slightly textured matt finish compared to the prototype and other CF frames. The effects of friction are somewhat hard to model. It will be cool to see the real world performance.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like the Stryker was designed to carry a stand

I have the Stryker XL. Great pack, but it has a lot of downside in that application actually. Carries way too high with most stands. Stands with seats that fold onto the stand, like the M7 or Z8 or Windwalker, are ok. (The bag would be better for carrying g stands if there were just two webbing straps at the shelf so a seat could be slid through, instead of solid Cordura.)

Otherwise, it’s better to strap the stand to the frame and run the bag overtop.

Last edited:
I had a older tactical frame that did me well for years. After hunting season I got a new dl from the wife and I love that thing. My hunting buddy just bought the ark I like but it is different the lumbar pad is where I noticed the biggest difference it felt firm and ridged like a board on my hips I didn’t hate it but do not think I loved it so much I’ll be trading my pack anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had a older tactical frame that did me well for years. After hunting season I got a new dl from the wife and I love that thing. My hunting buddy just bought the ark I like but it is different the lumbar pad is where I noticed the biggest difference it felt firm and ridged like a board on my hips I didn’t hate it but do not think I loved it so much I’ll be trading my pack anytime soon

Without a doubt that is the biggest difference when putting on the pack, my daughter climbed in. At 60 pounds the lumbar was still stiff. TBD whether it’s a positive or negative!IMG_4330.jpeg

Without a doubt that is the biggest difference when putting on the pack, my daughter climbed in. At 60 pounds the lumbar was still stiff. TBD whether it’s a positive or negative!View attachment 693419

It felt like it wouldn’t bother me just not what I was expecting I think he had 40ish pounds when I tried it on. Hopefully he will break his in on a bear hunt this spring I’ll try it on again after it has some miles and see how it feels vs brand new

fatlander

WKR
I have the Stryker XL. Great pack, but it has a lot of downside in that application actually. Carries way too high with most stands. Stands with seats that fold onto the stand, like the M7 or Z8 or Windwalker, are ok. (The bag would be better for carrying g stands if there were just two webbing straps at the shelf so a seat could be slid through, instead of solid Cordura.)

This.

When kiffy said they were making a whitetail specific pack, I thought they were going to go make something akin to what you’re talking about.

A Stryker xl type bag that could be easily removed from the frame while leaving the stand itself still attached. Carrying ground blinds would be much easier with what you’re talking about as well.

Instead they made a 22 mag and Sherman with worse access. Still scratching my head on that one.

prm

WKR

I have considered cutting off the "shelf". There are two straps on the bottom so the pack can be secured very well. Honestly the shelf doesn't do that much anyway.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I have considered cutting off the "shelf". There are two straps on the bottom so the pack can be secured very well. Honestly the shelf doesn't do that much anyway.

The Stryker shelf panel works great for carrying a camp bag or various odds and ends. I have a cut down LW climber base that I saddlehunt with, and the shelf is ideal for packing it and my cold weather gear. It stinks for packing a stand though, imo.

What Kifaru could do is make the bottom fabric portion of the Stryker sling removable, so it would offer a solid panel underneath or just a two strap cradle depending on usage.

As is, I don’t use the Stryker XL with a hang on. I will strap a stand to a frame and run a bag overtop. With LWCG stands, you can route the seat in “shelf position“ between the bottom two straps of most bags on most frames if you want the full security of the bag-frame connection. With a MR Popup, those straps are even wide enough you don’t have to fully disconnect one side like you would with frames having narrower lower webbing configurations. The seat just slides between the webbing of the Popup frame.

With LWCG stands, the seat also offers some stability to the bottom of a bag and if the stand is just strapped to a frame really well, the side and top straps can do a good enough job stabilizing a bag sometimes, without the extra bother of the bottom connections.

Not wanting to sidebar OPs review too far with all this, but seeing as stand against frame is imo currently the best option, I look forward to hearing about the performance of the ARK with things loaded against the frame.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not quite hitting the mountains, but being able to do identical incline, speed, distance, etc makes for a nice comparison!

Nobody even looked at my funny which was a plus!IMG_1591.jpeg

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
What's the actual weight of the Ark frame and suspension?
The one I am testing weighs 3 pounds 6 ounces.

Frame
Small belt
Shoulder straps
Gen 2 water bladder
Mini belt pouch

I’ll get a weight without the accessories at some point for the final review.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had the opportunity to ask Aron and Anders some questions at the expo that I’ve been asked about the frame.

As far as the lumbar pads go, the new pad MIGHT fit the duplex frame but would need some modifications. That being said, they’re just trying to keep up with demand so it doesn’t sound like they’ll be selling the lumbar pads a la carte right now. I got the sense that this will change when things quiet down.

Regarding the ark frame showing wear, it’s powder coated carbon, which makes for a cleaner look, you can’t see as many of the carbon weaves, and a lot of the scratches will buff/rub out but with wear it’ll start to show scratches and gouges. Of course this is cosmetic only.

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
First off I like the sleeveless picture with your daughter in the pack! You took advantage of the opportunity to show off the guns!

Down to the good stuff, 2 questions…

1. Would the small belt fit a 30” waist?

2. How is the noise on the KU material? Are there attachment points for chamber bags?

Lawnboi

WKR
What gen duplex do you have?

My duplex hunter frame is dead and I’m trying to weight my option of getting an arc frame, or getting a SG terminus.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
First off I like the sleeveless picture with your daughter in the pack! You took advantage of the opportunity to show off the guns!

Down to the good stuff, 2 questions…

1. Would the small belt fit a 30” waist?

2. How is the noise on the KU material? Are there attachment points for chamber bags?
Kifaru is coming out with an extra small belt. I’m not sure if it’s available for sale yet, but according to Anders they’re making them. I’m a 32” waist, any smaller I think an extra small is the ticket.

I haven’t finished the noise tests yet, but while louder I am not sure it’s significant enough to matter.

No attachment points. It was made to be an ultra light so they made it as minimalistic as possible. I personally think they missed the boat on adding some attachment points though.

Cute.

I just thought you had something to offer, but apparently you don’t and just intend to ride on the coat strings of someone who actually knows how to evaluate packs.
You got it all wrong man. I’m a solo hunter for the most part who has figured it out on my own thru my own trial and error without having to ride ”coat strings” lol. But i will say this, the Ark is the shiz and for those who don’t have one and don’t believe that, i say, buy the pack and you won’t be disappointed. Like i said, i didn’t jump on here to hijack the thread and give you my review. I could start another thread on that. But hears what i will tell you, as i said before, i have the UL, the Tactical, and the Ark. and for me and likely for many others, the Ark is hand’s down the better of all 3 and Kifaru should be commended for the improvements.

I will tell you that i have packed many camps in and out, as well as a boatload of critters, both mine and my friends, since ‘08 without riding anyone elses coat tails. You may never fully understand the satisfaction i get by doing it “my way”. Instead of all the so called internet experts ways. Yes i take a lot of pride in that ;)

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
You got it all wrong man. I’m a solo hunter for the most part who has figured it out on my own thru my own trial and error without having to ride ”coat strings” lol. But i will say this, the Ark is the shiz and for those who don’t have one and don’t believe that, i say, buy the pack and you won’t be disappointed. Like i said, i didn’t jump on here to hijack the thread and give you my review. I could start another thread on that. But hears what i will tell you, as i said before, i have the UL, the Tactical, and the Ark. and for me and likely for many others, the Ark is hand’s down the better of all 3 and Kifaru should be commended for the improvements.

I will tell you that i have packed many camps in and out, as well as a boatload of critters, both mine and my friends, since ‘08 without riding anyone elses coat tails. You may never fully understand the satisfaction i get by doing it “my way”. Instead of all the so called internet experts ways. Yes i take a lot of pride in that ;)

Solo camp packer since ‘08 says ARK da’ shiz, won’t disappoint. Lol, now there’s a review.

I wasn’t questioning your cred, just wanted to know what you like about the ARK over the others.

Already there’s folks who have tried the DL and ARK and returned the ARK. I imagine they actually were disappointed. Others have said they prefer some things about the ARK. There’s no singular opinion.

Various reasons for that have been presented. It’s the kind of thing folks coming to a thread titled ARK vs Duplex, a comparison review are wanting to read about. You took the time to post in this thread that you prefer the ARK. Seemed reasonable to think you’d say why.

Looking forward to OPs review. Maybe you’ll share more after the heavy lifting is complete. It’d still be worth hearing.