Army Crawling with Your Pack

Netherman

WKR
I often find myself in situations where I have to crawl the last 100yds or so. I can't crawl with my pack on [EXO] as it rides up and prevents me from looking up and ahead easily. I like to shoot off my pack so I'll sometimes drag it along next to me. I'm wondering if anyone is able to crawl effectively with a frame pack on. I don't think I have a fit issue as I've read a ton of fitting articles and watched the EXO video. Maybe this just can't be done effectively?

NoWiser

WKR
I couldn't with my Kifaru and definitely can't with my Stone Glacier unless I really loosen up the shoulder straps and let the pack slip down a bit. I battled with it antelope hunting until I realized the solution was so simple.

I do two things... Crab crawl with pack on and rifle in lap or pack/Rifle in lap or if need to get lower belly crawl pushing pack ahead of you so already set where it needs to be fore a shot

Depending on how low profile you need to be, take it off your back and strap it to your chest while you crawl on hands and knees. Or take it off and push it ahead of you but you probably increase noise.

Although I prefer the higher framed packs for elk hunting, I picked up a Mystery Ranch Popup 28 for antelope hunting for just this reason. The frame is below your shoulders when belly crawling so there's no problem poking your head up to glass or shoot.

Prior to this, I typically resorting to taking the pack off and pushing/pulling it along with me while crawling.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Thanks guys. I tried crawling around the house today. Loosening the hip belt and shoulder straps allow the pack to ride lower and make crawling possible. It's not perfect but gonna be another option along with pushing/pulling the pack next to me.

side note: If you don't hear from me in awhile please check your local insane asylums. Pretty sure the wife is considering having me committed after watching me crawl around the house...

If you need to be super low, take it off and drag it beside you by the handle with rifle/bow in the other. Or, hook a foot through a strap and drag it with your legs. Also, I’ve rigged a leash system from the ruck to my belt, it will be a few feet behind you for the drag. Either way will work, and it’s a great workout lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
Crawling with the a frame pack seems like a very difficult endeavor. Every thought about maybe just a fanny pack or some thick piece of clothing that can be used as the rifle rest? I'm currently sitting in my office pretending to work I'll try and think of other ideas

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Ridge Ghost, pop up 28 is very easy to crawl with on your back. I usually ditch my pack when I have to crawl but with the 28 on I don’t bother, just keep it on.
Mountain biking is another thing that is easier with low profile pack on, on the bigger packs I have to loosen shoulder straps and waist belt to allow pack to sag down a bit.

Camomutt

FNG
If the only problem is riding up, you could buckle the waist belt between your legs.