Arrow Build Cost

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How long did it take for your fmjs to start wobbling? I’m interested in trying (a few of) these shafts, will monitor them for bends, just curious how long it took yours to start failing?
A whole 3 weeks. Shooting Pacific target butts with heavy rubber matting behind them at 60-80 yards. The arrows made it into the matting every shot. Although it probably was closer to two weeks because it took me a week to convince myself that the sudden bad shooting just wasn't me. After putting them on the spinner and then going back to my carbons, all was well and the world was round again. :) This was the reason why I even got an arrow spinner, just to test those arrows out. But I will say.......that first week of shooting them I was impressed with their consistent accuracy. Then they started to open up, and open up, and then it was obvious something was wrong.

OutdoorAg

WKR
A whole 3 weeks. Shooting Pacific target butts with heavy rubber matting behind them at 60-80 yards. The arrows made it into the matting every shot. Although it probably was closer to two weeks because it took me a week to convince myself that the sudden bad shooting just wasn't me. After putting them on the spinner and then going back to my carbons, all was well and the world was round again. :) This was the reason why I even got an arrow spinner, just to test those arrows out. But I will say.......that first week of shooting them I was impressed with their consistent accuracy. Then they started to open up, and open up, and then it was obvious something was wrong.
Good info. This is what I like to see/hear...real world experience.

So what arrows did you go back to after trashing the wobbling FMJs?

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
5miles, appreciate the feedback! My local indoor range uses those same targets/mat setup. And my arrows end up in the mat too. Only had the fmjs for about a week so far-imma keep shooting those alongside my axis and see if I can get em to bend.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So what arrows did you go back to after trashing the wobbling FMJs?
At that time I went back to my Trophy Ridge Crush 300's. I wish they still made them. I still have about a dozen of those that I've used since 2008 and they still spin perfectly and specs on a Ram spine tester are tighter than any other arrows I've tested. And they're durable as heck as well........best of both worlds. I'm testing some Sirius Apollo shafts now for their durability and consistency. If they work well, I will be getting more of them.

Now I see why guys are unwilling to take practice shots in the woods to be dialed in.....kind of takes the fun out of stump shooting losing a couple arrows and its $120.

Just gotta be a baller.

IMG_20200911_074556906.jpg
IMG_20200909_164721632.jpg

As much as it costs to make a trip, I don't worry about the arrow cost too much. I generally plan on loosing an arrow or two.

Felix40

WKR
Have you seen the cost of NR tags??

I'm trying to think of a good response, but it's been a long day.... I got nothing.
Fair enough. Yeah $670 for a Colorado elk tag and $500 for a Kansas deer tag this year. Last thing I need is a dozen arrows that cost $4-700.

I might feel different if I had a different job. I’m probably just as jealous as I am surprised at what guys are spending. Both my bows cost me less than $300 each so I’m definitely in the slums compared to the ballers here.

Fair enough. Yeah $670 for a Colorado elk tag and $500 for a Kansas deer tag this year. Last thing I need is a dozen arrows that cost $4-700.

I might feel different if I had a different job. I’m probably just as jealous as I am surprised at what guys are spending. Both my bows cost me less than $300 each so I’m definitely in the slums compared to the ballers here.

Other than the half dozen IW I use my arrows are pretty cheap. Nice thing about the IW is they aren't one and done, just sharpen them and keep going, tho same can be said for other heads as well that don't cost as much.

And my whole post was poking fun at beendare about stumping anyways. Doesn't matter if I have a stick or compound in my hands, I'll let arrows go. Keeps you tuned.

406unltd

WKR
55$ for my fixed head hunt oarrows
40$ for my mech head hunt arrows

Only lost one in the past few years shooting them. It’s expensive but I only have one hobby. Plus I keep all my old arrows and just weight them to match current setup and put a judo on it for grouse and practice while on the mtn.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No problem there.......I can afford a lot of nice things........I just choose not to. Which is probably why I can afford them in the first place. I'm pretty frugal......was born that way. My dad was just cheap. I care about the quality I use, I just refuse to pay top dollar for it. And when I have something that works the way I want and expect it to, I stick with it.........for a lonnnng time. I don't need or even want the latest and greatest every year. I'm the kind of guy that has a brand new box of Titleist Pro V1 golf balls (from a tournament), but refuses to use them until all the balls I've found are gone. That new box is now probably 10 years old. Every Fall I shoot and spin test some arrows with BH's, looking for 5 that shoot well and spin true to put in my quiver.......and that's it for my hunting arrows for the season, all selected from the same arrows I shot all year. The arrow I used on my moose this year, I cleaned it up and screwed on a new BH and used that same arrow on my sheep the next month.

So keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll be able to afford all the nice new things, but by then you'll also realize that you don't need them either. (y)

ncstewart

WKR
My opinion is kill stuff then upgrade when needed. They will all kill stuff if they flying right.

Gold tip velocity
Standard nock from gt
50 grain insert
125 head
4 fletch with helical

Then just send it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to shoot day six arrows but decided it wasn’t worth the 190 a dozen plus cost of components I switched to Easton axis arrows with ethics components and save a lot of money that I can spend on going on more hunts.

Felix40

WKR
No problem there.......I can afford a lot of nice things........I just choose not to. Which is probably why I can afford them in the first place. I'm pretty frugal......was born that way. My dad was just cheap. I care about the quality I use, I just refuse to pay top dollar for it. And when I have something that works the way I want and expect it to, I stick with it.........for a lonnnng time. I don't need or even want the latest and greatest every year. I'm the kind of guy that has a brand new box of Titleist Pro V1 golf balls (from a tournament), but refuses to use them until all the balls I've found are gone. That new box is now probably 10 years old. Every Fall I shoot and spin test some arrows with BH's, looking for 5 that shoot well and spin true to put in my quiver.......and that's it for my hunting arrows for the season, all selected from the same arrows I shot all year. The arrow I used on my moose this year, I cleaned it up and screwed on a new BH and used that same arrow on my sheep the next month.

So keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll be able to afford all the nice new things, but by then you'll also realize that you don't need them either. (y)

I'm right there with you. If I made more money I would probably shop the same way I do now. Agree 100% with find something that works and sticking with it. I watch for sales all year to find the stuff I like for super cheap. Last year I bought a dozen muzzy trocars for $49. Never had an issue with them and now I have broadheads for a couple years. The only reason I wish I had that kind of money is so I could buy more tags and gas!

Beendare

WKR
And my whole post was poking fun at beendare about stumping anyways. Doesn't matter if I have a stick or compound in my hands, I'll let arrows go. Keeps you tuned.
Poke away!

One plus to flinging arrows- lunch!
73DA6EA5-BD30-442A-BF50-D4557002342F.jpeg

Im the same boat as yourself....I love shooting in the woods and always fling a practice arrow or two first thing in the morning. Plus it keeps me sharp-shooting/ range estimating and its a good equipment check.

I have guided guys unwilling to stump shoot due to the high cost of their arrows....seems to me thats taking away the fun of the hunt.

——

Keedman

FNG
I think i sit around $20 an arrow and I can't justify spending much more. The bow and arrows are more accurate than me at the moment.
Gt hunter xts
Brass inserts
Magnus head.
3 helical fletch

But I wouldn't mind trying some of those pricey arrows would give me 1 less thing to blame for pulling shots lol

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still rocking the Black Eagle outlaws with brass inserts, max stealth’s 4 fletch with trypans/dead meats. Works so far.

MattB

WKR
Poke away!

One plus to flinging arrows- lunch!
View attachment 251137

Im the same boat as yourself....I love shooting in the woods and always fling a practice arrow or two first thing in the morning. Plus it keeps me sharp-shooting/ range estimating and its a good equipment check.

I have guided guys unwilling to stump shoot due to the high cost of their arrows....seems to me thats taking away the fun of the hunt.

——
Feel cool on the internet and douchey in the field. 😆

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
i just switched to axis match grade from 5mm fmj. 90% of animals i shoot bends the shaft. so every shot on a pig (30+ a year) requires new arrows. after 3 dozen i have had it lol if i can get 2 animals with 1 axis ill be ahead.

Reactions: Zac
I ran GT Hunters 2 years ago, which was great when I was losing 3-4 arrows a day shooting prairie dogs. Last year I made some BE Rampages which made me a little sad when I lost one or two. I think I ended up losing a half dozen on my pronghorn/mule deer hunt. This year I am running RIP XV's with EA components and nockturnals and possibly an IW single bevel for the front. I will not be sending longer shots at goats though, so I shouldn't have the same rate of attrition. I think these RIP XV's are going to end up being worth $20/arrow without the nock or broadhead. So $60 with an IW and nockturnal give or take. If I reuse them with a Sevr for whitetails it'll be $43 or so. Big bucks.