arrows for TAC

Is it worth buying cheap arrows for TAC? Last year was my first year and I somehow managed to only lose 1 arrow, but I was shooting the closest course and didn't take many shots over 30 yards. Just curious to hear if anyone else buys cheap arrows they dont care about losing for these events.

I'm a PC local, it's fun seeing all the archery targets in peoples' truck beds all the sudden. Looking forward to this weekend!

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't worry about shooting cheaper arrows for TAC, I just shot what I hunt with. I'm not shooting anything super spectacular anyhow, high foc GT Hunter XT’s.

I would recommend something else if you're running FMJ’s.

Geewhiz

WKR
I shoot cheap arrows anyway. The first and only time I shot the big sky TAC I shot the prime course I believe? Anyway there were targets out to 115 yards. There were guys with dozens of extra arrows in their backpacks.... Looked like they were planning on having an expensive day.

KHNC

WKR
I shot the mtn course and one other one the time i shot in TN. I only lost 2 arrows. Had 3 others in the group that went thru nearly a dozen each! The hit a LOT of rocks and trees.

Geewhiz

WKR
I shot the mtn course and one other one the time i shot in TN. I only lost 2 arrows. Had 3 others in the group that went thru nearly a dozen each! The hit a LOT of rocks and trees.
As long as you go into it with the mindset that you will likely lose a few, its a freaking blast. Take the loss, its part of the game. Also it puts a smile on my face when I hear a buddy's arrow smash a rock and disintegrate. :ROFLMAO:

KHNC

WKR
As long as you go into it with the mindset that you will likely lose a few, its a freaking blast. Take the loss, its part of the game. Also it puts a smile on my face when I hear a buddy's arrow smash a rock and disintegrate. :ROFLMAO:
Me too, but these were all strangers. LOL

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
The cost of losing arrows is good motivation to hit the target and to be ready for the shoot in the first place. Shoot your hunting arrows.

Jbxl20

WKR
I’ve thought about it but decided against it. I shoot my hunting arrows. I lost 1 arrow last year between 2 courses and 2 this year between 2 courses. I’m a lot more confident in my setup using my hunting arrows. Easton axis match grades 300 spine with 50gr brass inserts. I try to make each shot count.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot 2 mountain 3d shoots this year so far and will be at TAC BigSky. Shooing 250 spine Airstrikes. $210+ a dozen. Gives me motivation to not miss................

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I made up arrows specifically for TAC personally. I shot my 60 pound 2021 PSE Mach 1 and made up some 3DHV Victory 400 spine shafts. I bought the Elites for my first and second TAC, then got home and ordered more of the same. I like these shafts, they fly like darts for me, and they shoot so fast out of my 60 pound bow I have very little arc, which aids in not snagging obstacles in the "normal" flight path.

Since I'm shooting 330 fps, my margin for error is less, and next year when I finally get my single pin Axcel Achieve and put my EV3 scope on it, I should be able to easily reach 120+ yards, which will be super nice.

If all you want to do is run your hunting setup, then you are going to have challenges unless you typically run lighter shafts. Having a rangefinder that shows you your arc is helpful as well. But for me, I run a bow and arrows specially for the challenges and rigors of the Total Archery Challenge, and I prefer the Victory 3DHV shafts.

Jbxl20

WKR
If all you want to do is run your hunting setup, then you are going to have challenges unless you typically run lighter shafts. Having a rangefinder that shows you your arc is helpful as well. But for me, I run a bow and arrows specially for the challenges and rigors of the Total Archery Challenge, and I prefer the Victory 3DHV shafts.
I completely understand this and that’s the exact reason I bought a dozen lighter shafts to make for TAC. I’m never going to be shooting an Animal at 120yds or making some of the tough obstacle shots at 70-80yds. I ended up using my hunting setup just for the extra practice with the more reasonable shots and if I do make a trick shot at 80yds with my 500grn arrow my confidence grows and actual 50-60 yard shots on game animals aren’t a big deal when it counts.

Jbxl20

WKR
Last year I shot nock-on course and leupold this year I shot prime and Leupold. I wanted to shoot the RMEF course but the line was long and hardly anyone was shooting leupold.
Seven springs, PA

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't shoot cheap arrows ever. But I have been known to buy some very inexpensive high quality arrows over the years at times, when I find those deals. But for TAC, I want my best setup, just like for hunting. Not much room for error out there. If my arrows can't fit in my bow quiver, they don't go.

my vote is cheap arrows. I don't hunt foam but I certainly am interested in seeing if I could make some hard shots without wounding an animal. I'm shooting no frills arrows as fast as I can get them. at the end of the day, if your ability to shoot is good and your site tape is accurate, you'll do good