Athlon Optics Cronus 10x42 UHD, SIRUI Traveler X: Lightweight, Budget, Backpack, Archery Elk

Tripod: Sirui Traveler X (fairly new model, very curious if anyone has experience with it yet)

Binos: Athlon Cronus 10x42 UHD

This is my (planned) optics set-up for a backpack archery elk hunt this fall. Depending on where I get into medical school, this could be my last opportunity for the next 7-9 years (fingers crossed for Colorado COM or Utah COM); therefore, I'm not keen on spending tons of money for gear that I may use again for a while.

However, I'm interested in everyone's thoughts/alternative recommendations on this tripod/binos set-up. I'm not trophy hunting, just simply need to locate elk that are in my Unit's general area from 1-2 miles away. Will be looking to buy the Cronus 10x42 in the classifieds pretty soon, so let me know if anyone wants to give me a good deal.

I will be much more active on here for the next few months of planning, any wisdom/advice is welcomed!

nobody

WKR
You're barking up the right tree. Bottom line, buy the best binos you can reasonably afford, put them on a solid tripod, and SLOW DOWN. It's so cliché that it often gets overlooked, but it's the truth.

Sirui makes good tripods, no experience with the Traveler X Model but I'm sure it would be great.

Never been impressed with the Athlon binos I've looked through personally. The Ares spotting scope gets high praise on here though, so maybe I'm off. But if you like them and you can get behind them easily and stay behind them and glass all day, then pick them up and go kill some elk!

OP
birkandbros
You're barking up the right tree. Bottom line, buy the best binos you can reasonably afford, put them on a solid tripod, and SLOW DOWN. It's so cliché that it often gets overlooked, but it's the truth.

Sirui makes good tripods, no experience with the Traveler X Model but I'm sure it would be great.

Never been impressed with the Athlon binos I've looked through personally. The Ares spotting scope gets high praise on here though, so maybe I'm off. But if you like them and you can get behind them easily and stay behind them and glass all day, then pick them up and go kill some elk!
Yeah, I was considering the Ares, but it seems the consensus is that I should get a good pair of binos before even considering a spotting scope. These 10x42's should accomplish what I'm looking to use them for! Seem to have really good FOV, and clarity, but not amazing in low light.

nobody

WKR
Yeah, I was considering the Ares, but it seems the consensus is that I should get a good pair of binos before even considering a spotting scope. These 10x42's should accomplish what I'm looking to use them for! Seem to have really good FOV, and clarity, but not amazing in low light.
1000000000% you are correct. If you have $1200 to spend on optics, rather than buying the cronus binos and the ares spotter and a tripod, just buy some $1k binos and a solid tripod. Don't even entertain a spotter until you have your binos dialed.

If you want the low light but still handhold-ability, pick up some 10x50's. A really adept pair of 10x50's will add some serious low light game to your optics. Personally, I'll never own a pair of 10x42's again after "seeing the light."

Shadowden

FNG
Personally, for a backpack archery elk hunt in Colorado I don't think you need a spotter or tripod. I haven't tried them out yet (waiting for my adapter) but I got Argali trekking poles which can be adapted as a monopod. Not as stable as a tripod certainly, but dual function and lightweight for backpack hunting. I also haven't done hours long glassing sessions for archery elk. Running ridges and calling to locate them has turned up far more opportunities for me. Working active animals with a call is what hooked me. Having said that, a good set of binoculars goes a long way. Pay attention to weight. It makes a difference over the days, miles, and elevation.

And if it is going to be a while, have you considered renting? I've seen places that provide that service.

Looks like cameraland it's running a sale: https://cameralandny.com/shop-product

Last edited: