Is getting a spotter at my budget a waste?

I have seen so many comments on here when people are discussing "budget" optics, as far as binos and spotting scopes go. This all seems very clear to me, however, what isn't clear is where the line is drawn?

What is the "cheapest" binocular that is "acceptable?" Spotting scope?

I bought some Leupold BX-4's 10x42's, and honestly their quality is fantastic. I have yet to use them on a hunt, but they will be in my bino harness on my first western hunt later this year. (Montana Elk!)

I have a Slik Tripod, and Sirui head that I plan to use for glassing, and now I am thinking about adding a spotting scope to my pack. I will use it regularly at home at the range anyways (I am in need of one for this reason alone) and I think I'll enjoy using it on my Elk hunt.

I do NOT have the budget of some folks on here, and may be able to scrape together enough to get one of the two options I am currently considering:

Maven CS.1A

or

Athlon Ares UHD G2

Both 65mm, 15-45x.

I am concerned though when reading posts that makes it seem like anything under $1500 is a complete waste. I plan to be sitting and glassing for hours. Will either of these options allow me to do this comfortably?

I'd be grabbing the Maven used for ~$600, or the Athlon new for $529
Leaning toward the Athlon currently.

Any input will be very appreciated!

rlmmarine

WKR
I try to live life as buy once cry once anything less is unacceptable
I buy the best i can afford or save up to it because i know i wont be happy until i have it. But once i buy it i dont try to replace it very often. I drive a 2000 7.3 dually and a 2000 ford excursion they were the best in their time and im still happy with them today with 700k between them.
Save your money and borrow someone elses or rent a top notch scope and have fun this year next year get the scope you want not the one you have to settle on. BUT AND THERE IS ALWAYS A BUT <<<<<<NO FINANCING>>>>>
Have fun in montana and give us a good write up

Legend

WKR
I have seen so many comments on here when people are discussing "budget" optics, as far as binos and spotting scopes go. This all seems very clear to me, however, what isn't clear is where the line is drawn?

What is the "cheapest" binocular that is "acceptable?" Spotting scope?

I bought some Leupold BX-4's 10x42's, and honestly their quality is fantastic. I have yet to use them on a hunt, but they will be in my bino harness on my first western hunt later this year. (Montana Elk!)

I have a Slik Tripod, and Sirui head that I plan to use for glassing, and now I am thinking about adding a spotting scope to my pack. I will use it regularly at home at the range anyways (I am in need of one for this reason alone) and I think I'll enjoy using it on my Elk hunt.

I do NOT have the budget of some folks on here, and may be able to scrape together enough to get one of the two options I am currently considering:

Maven CS.1A

or

Athlon Ares UHD G2

Both 65mm, 15-45x.

I am concerned though when reading posts that makes it seem like anything under $1500 is a complete waste. I plan to be sitting and glassing for hours. Will either of these options allow me to do this comfortably?

I'd be grabbing the Maven used for ~$600, or the Athlon new for $529
Leaning toward the Athlon currently.

Any input will be very appreciated!
The only reason you "need" a spotting scope on an elk hunt is to judge size. As a new elk hunter I am guessing a legal bull will get you excited.

Elk are big and not too hard to spot.

For what it is worth I run 8x binos on a tripod. I have watched squirrels from a mile away.

Save your money.

OP
allstajacket
The only reason you "need" a spotting scope on an elk hunt is to judge size. As a new elk hunter I am guessing a legal bull will get you excited.

Elk are big and not too hard to spot.

For what it is worth I run 8x binos on a tripod. I have watched squirrels from a mile away.

Save your money.

Admittedly, the main purpose for a spotting scope will be range duty. I mainly use state run ranges and waiting a half an hour to check targets and see groups really well gets old.

I plan to hit the range as often as I can before my trip, so I’m thinking this could be a two birds scenario.

How good does a spotter have to be if I never get to shoot farther than 200? I guess this is my main question.

If I end up without the spotter I’m sure my 10x binos on the tripod will do just fine.

Also, you are spot on. I’m DEFINITELY not hunting for a crazy bull. Any legal elk is my target! I’m just crazy excited to see Montana up close, spend a week in the mountains, and have the possibility of bagging an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really don't need a spotting scope for that hunt. But in that price range a used STS/ATS 65 is the way to go. They're always in the classifieds and usually for under $1,500.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I have an athlon 65, would love to have a swaro, but don't use a spotter enough to justify it. I would say an athlon is better than no spotter, but don't bother in the middle class, next step up is buy once cry once swaro. I did go that route with binos.

The athlon spotter does what I need it to, just as my cheap luapold binos did for years. Upgrading to swaro binos was 800% increase is cost for maybe 20% performance gain...

On a separate note, do you have a known need for a spotter? Or just think you need one? Depending on terrain, you can generally identify the main frame of a bull with 10x binos pretty far off. Not saying a spotter is not super handy to have in the right situation, but defiantly not needed for your first elk hunt.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
The high alpine country above tree line in Colorado is perfect for a spotting scope.
Optics, are one item buying used offers value. Many serious hunters/optics users are constantly upgrading or trying new models. I know I have been through a lot of optics looking for the next best.Instead of settling for some Chinese made spotters that some retailers are constantly pushing because of their high profit margins, you can find a used non Chinese made quality spotter if you are diligent. Renting would also be a good solution to get you by and try out a certain model for a future purchase. Have fun on your hunt.

jimh406

WKR
The biggest difference in optics shows up in clarity especially at high magnification and low light. Cost goes way up for the high magnification models in the same level. Of course, weight goes up as well.

How are you planning to hunt? If you want to spot animals miles away with good spotting locations, a good spotter might be worth it. If you are spotting early and late, better glass will certainly make a big difference.

I would personally go for less magnification if you are trying to save money although it seems like that is what you are doing, but maybe you are doing it for a weight savings. If you are looking at good quality and get a good price, you probably can upgrade in the future. However, also look at renting.

No you do not need one and cheap are not even worth the cheap price. I looked through a Swaro ats 65 for three days (sheep and goat counts) and would have a tough time buying it for even 1500, now when you step up to 85 or 105 you actually can use the 60. Imo I would save your money for years and buy once. Binos will get you by hunting elk forsure!

OP
allstajacket
I have an athlon 65, would love to have a swaro, but don't use a spotter enough to justify it. I would say an athlon is better than no spotter, but don't bother in the middle class, next step up is buy once cry once swaro. I did go that route with binos.

The athlon spotter does what I need it to, just as my cheap luapold binos did for years. Upgrading to swaro binos was 800% increase is cost for maybe 20% performance gain...

On a separate note, do you have a known need for a spotter? Or just think you need one? Depending on terrain, you can generally identify the main frame of a bull with 10x binos pretty far off. Not saying a spotter is not super handy to have in the right situation, but defiantly not needed for your first elk hunt.

Definitely don’t NEED a spotter. I just think I would enjoy having one, as well as it being much needed for the range trips at home.

The Athlon is really good for the money. I’ve compared it side by side with a Swaro 65 and didn’t feel that it lacked much at all. For as often as it gets used I’ll likely never upgrade.

TheGDog

WKR
Admittedly, the main purpose for a spotting scope will be range duty. I mainly use state run ranges and waiting a half an hour to check targets and see groups really well gets old.

I plan to hit the range as often as I can before my trip, so I’m thinking this could be a two birds scenario.

How good does a spotter have to be if I never get to shoot farther than 200? I guess this is my main question.

If I end up without the spotter I’m sure my 10x binos on the tripod will do just fine.

Also, you are spot on. I’m DEFINITELY not hunting for a crazy bull. Any legal elk is my target! I’m just crazy excited to see Montana up close, spend a week in the mountains, and have the possibility of bagging an elk.

If you're not yet using your Binos off a Tripod.... DO THAT FIRST... before you decide on what kinda spotter you think you'd need. But I'm betting.. that if the terrain is thick enough, You'd find that just binos handles damn near everything.

ALSO... if you're talking very steep terrain.... MAN the weight REALLY needs to start coming down! If where you'll be hunting is thick AND steep? You'll quickly decide to skip the spotter.

When your goal is going up high just to scout ahead of season... you can justify climbing up a Mtn with a 65mm spotter and Tripod, because you just might elect to leave the rifle in the truck, concerned about weight, so just sidearm.

Also... re: desiring a spotter.... before you make your choice.. totally see if you can look thru a friends 15x Binos while they're on a Tripod.

But I'm talking like decent tier... like in my case the ZEISS Conquest HD's. You definitely start to understand the benefits of instead bringing 15x binos as your on-the-tripod optic... and maybe also a lil lightweight compact 8x30-ish bino on your chest for handheld checks.

In an effort to still be able to take both, I just ordered that Maven S2 12-27x56 Spotter. So we'll see how heavy that one feels added to the pack for that climb I'm foolishly doing to get to the spot I'm focusing on.

SwiftShot

WKR
Maven, that is some good glass. I have only used the 15 x 45. Wow great scope for the price. I know people will yell get a better scope. Well years ago people where stacking sheep wearing flannel and levis shooting open sights. Almost all reasonable glass today is better than the best glass 20 years ago.

Buying a spotter under $1500 is not a waste because there’s good spotters you can get used and even a few new in the $1000-$1500 range. $1500 is 3x what you seem to want to spend though some I’m not even sure why you’re throwing that number out there.

Spending $500-$600 on a shitty Chinese spotter is a waste though.

I won a hawke nature trail a few years ago, it's like a $300 spotter. It technically works, I can see 223 bullet holes at 200 yards and have been able to tell that an elk had antlers at 1200 yards. It actually does decent as a telescope, have looked at Saturn and Jupiter with it.

However, the image is poor, and My brain rejects it after a few seconds. It makes my eyes water, and if I try to power through that I get a headache. I don't use it enough to upgrade yet, but in 5 years when my oldest kid starts drawing western rifle tags that spotter is getting replaced with a kowa prominar

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
For what you are wanting. Get one! If you don't like it hunting, it will always work at the range.

I have a Leupold SX 4 Pro Guide 15-45x65 HD. I can tell you it is an upgrade from what I was using. $700 right now. I got mine for $599 on sale. I don't think I will need to upgrade in the future for my uses. It works great on the range, It is not lacking in the field. The one thing it falls short on is low light performance. The 65mm objective with those magnifications just don't work well. If I wanted better I would get an 85mm.

Leupolds SX 2 is even cheaper, but I don't know how it performs. I went as high as I could stretch for a limited use item. I spent more $$ on my binos because they get the most use - year round.

Just my 2 Cents....

OP
allstajacket
For what you are wanting. Get one! If you don't like it hunting, it will always work at the range.

I have a Leupold SX 4 Pro Guide 15-45x65 HD. I can tell you it is an upgrade from what I was using. $700 right now. I got mine for $599 on sale. I don't think I will need to upgrade in the future for my uses. It works great on the range, It is not lacking in the field. The one thing it falls short on is low light performance. The 65mm objective with those magnifications just don't work well. If I wanted better I would get an 85mm.

Leupolds SX 2 is even cheaper, but I don't know how it performs. I went as high as I could stretch for a limited use item. I spent more $$ on my binos because they get the most use - year round.

Just my 2 Cents....

I’m bummed I didn’t snag one of those when I had my Leupold VIP discount. Expired a few months ago and can’t renew as I left the gun industry..

Did snag my BX-4’s back then at least.

I’m on the fence, but I’ll likely grab the Athlon. Still have a bit of thinking to do, luckily the sale doesn’t end anytime soon!

Thanks for the input. I definitely don’t think I need anything crazy for typical range use and the very occasional hunt.

Can always upgrade or add another expensive one down the road if needed!

For elk you will likely be spending way less time behind the spotter than you think. Like others have said, 10's on a tripod are all you need for quite a long way out for spotting most elk. Is a $600 spotter going to be as refined and comfortable as a $3K setup? nope. But when you see some elk-sized objects under tree shade or what you think might be a white butt in the brush at a mile+, it's really nice to have that good 15-45x picture to make decisions instead of wasting an hour checking back on that spot until one moves when you could have been busy closing the distance. For $600 I really doubt you'd regret having it with you.

OP
allstajacket
For elk you will likely be spending way less time behind the spotter than you think. Like others have said, 10's on a tripod are all you need for quite a long way out for spotting most elk. Is a $600 spotter going to be as refined and comfortable as a $3K setup? nope. But when you see some elk-sized objects under tree shade or what you think might be a white butt in the brush at a mile+, it's really nice to have that good 15-45x picture to make decisions instead of wasting an hour checking back on that spot until one moves when you could have been busy closing the distance. For $600 I really doubt you'd regret having it with you.
Thanks. I'm leaning more and more toward grabbing one, rather than renting a real expensive one. I think a $500-600 spotter would suit me just fine at the range, and this will honestly be the main purpose.
Maybe a WY Pronghorn hunt in the next few years, but other than that I don't anticipate being able to get out west much in the near future. Down the road (10+ years from now) I'd like to try to go annually of some sort.

Braaap

WKR
I’ve had the Athlon for 4 seasons now and it has served me well. It has been a huge help on multiple elk hunts for me. I bought mine used for under $500. I did just send it in for warranty but for what I paid I’ve been happy with it. I’ve used it side by side with a swaro and the Kowa 553, which are both better, but the Athlon is very good for the price I think.