Is getting a spotter at my budget a waste?

Rob5589

WKR
For what you're describing I'd bet the Athlon would work well. I enjoy using mine in the general same circumstances as you describe. There's a reason they are a popular entry level spotter. For some people dropping 2k plus on a spotter isn't in the cards no matter how long you wait and save. Buy what works for you. Hit up Doug at Cameraland for a Rokslide deal.

TheGDog

WKR
If you're dead set on getting a spotter... just be patient... and keep an eye open on the used optics pages here... or things like Outdoorsman's Used Optics section on their site.

You really won't "get it" (about waiting until you can do it with 'good glass') until you finally pick-up that first piece of like Higher-tier glass and your eyes and brain go "Whoa..."

I started hunting elk in 2003, so on and off for 20 years. Started too late in life, but until this year, have never owned a spotter. First year I went I used a pair of 7 x 35 bushnells that fogged up the 2nd day and stayed in the truck from that point on. I have been using the same pair of Leupold 10 x 42 Cascades since. Never felt I needed more for elk as we mostly hunt the timber anyway. I did pick up a Vortex Razor 20 x 60 with an 85 mm obj. for an above timberline deer hunt in a few weeks. Never before felt I needed a spotter and even from a mile or two away we could tell if an elk was something we wanted to go after. That said we are not that picky when it comes to elk. I finally just decided I wanted the spotter for this hunt. Ended up paying only 800 for a NOS Gen 1 at Cabelas (with a 10% vets discount) Seems like decent glass. Brother paid almost twice that for the Gen 2.

So all that to say, you don't need it IMO. Save your money and get a good one when you do need one.

I have seen so many comments on here when people are discussing "budget" optics, as far as binos and spotting scopes go. This all seems very clear to me, however, what isn't clear is where the line is drawn?

What is the "cheapest" binocular that is "acceptable?" Spotting scope?

I bought some Leupold BX-4's 10x42's, and honestly their quality is fantastic. I have yet to use them on a hunt, but they will be in my bino harness on my first western hunt later this year. (Montana Elk!)

I have a Slik Tripod, and Sirui head that I plan to use for glassing, and now I am thinking about adding a spotting scope to my pack. I will use it regularly at home at the range anyways (I am in need of one for this reason alone) and I think I'll enjoy using it on my Elk hunt.

I do NOT have the budget of some folks on here, and may be able to scrape together enough to get one of the two options I am currently considering:

Maven CS.1A

or

Athlon Ares UHD G2

Both 65mm, 15-45x.

I am concerned though when reading posts that makes it seem like anything under $1500 is a complete waste. I plan to be sitting and glassing for hours. Will either of these options allow me to do this comfortably?

I'd be grabbing the Maven used for ~$600, or the Athlon new for $529
Leaning toward the Athlon currently.

Any input will be very appreciated!
I've owned a few spotters. I currently have a Leupold GR 12-40x60mm. I bought it for $700 used here. I love it, sure some guys will tell you they're not as good as Swarovski. They'd be right, but I like it and it works great for my purposes. Look through some spotters and see what you think. It really depends on what style of hunting you're doing and where you're doing it. I have swaro binos and I'd rather have a nicer set of binos then a spotter if it was my choice.

OP
allstajacket
I've owned a few spotters. I currently have a Leupold GR 12-40x60mm. I bought it for $700 used here. I love it, sure some guys will tell you they're not as good as Swarovski. They'd be right, but I like it and it works great for my purposes. Look through some spotters and see what you think. It really depends on what style of hunting you're doing and where you're doing it. I have swaro binos and I'd rather have a nicer set of binos then a spotter if it was my choice.

Yeah, I’ve looked through Swaro Binos, and I’ll own a pair someday maybe. But I just don’t use them enough to justify the price tag. This year I upgraded to Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x42’s and they seem perfect for me. Definitely not cheap, but not $Thousands either.

I’ll probably end up with a decent spotter around the same price, and eventually upgrade the binos. (If i am able to get out west more frequently! #goals)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I’ve looked through Swaro Binos, and I’ll own a pair someday maybe. But I just don’t use them enough to justify the price tag. This year I upgraded to Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x42’s and they seem perfect for me. Definitely not cheap, but not $Thousands either.

I’ll probably end up with a decent spotter around the same price, and eventually upgrade the binos. (If i am able to get out west more frequently! #goals)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You definitely don't have to have fancy binos to be successful. Couple of the best hunters I know that have trophy rooms that would make a lot of guys blush, one hunted with a pair of Bushnell rangefinder binos for the longest time and the other hunts with a pair of vortex vipers. Your BX-4's will be fine I'm sure