ATX Regrets? Considering upgrade

Since no one has posted a regret. I might. I currently have an ATX 65, “upgraded” from a Kowa 773 and I may go back. Ive had the ATX for six months now so the jury is still out for me. I was initially planning on getting the BTX and a 95mm. Then you realize your talking $6000 for a used setup. Sure its pretty sweet but $6000 sweet????

I dont know about that especially when the $1900 Kowa 773 is pretty awesome. Optically Im not convinced the ATX is better than the Kowa and the Kowa has dual focus knobs which I like better than the wheel. The only advantage the ATX has is the interchangeability and the more I thought about it really the only “advantage” the ATX has is it requires you to spend more money to make it “worth it”. How insane is that???? The only way to make something worth having is to spend more money on it. After more time comparing the two I may be going back to the Kowa.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
Great responses here. I need to honestly sit back and figure out how many different applications I have for an atx/btx system. Like Researcher said, how much do you have to spend before you start benefiting from the modular system? vs other solid options like the Kowa 77 or my current setup, the ATS65. But I am encouraged to see that A LoT of guys have started their ATX system buying used or rackin up cabelas points and cashing in.

when guys mention the Kowa 77 they seem to have really enjoyed its performance. But we've got a bunch of ATX owners here too that seem satisfied so far. So many options!

marktole

WKR
Since no one has posted a regret. I might. I currently have an ATX 65, “upgraded” from a Kowa 773 and I may go back.

My buddy has a Kowa 773 and I have looked through it side by side with my ATX 85. While I would give a slight edge to the ATX 85, that 773 was swwweeeettt.

I'll throw in my two cents here! I've got an 85mm ATX and before that had a 65mm lens for it. Before that had both the 65 and 85mm Razor HD spotters. I went to the ATX in the first place from a 65mm Vortex Razor HD because I was summer scouting with a friend a few years back and he had the 85mm ATX. He showed me an elk 2.5 miles away and I could not believe how good the picture was in his scope. I didn't even want to use my 65mm Razor after that. Bought a 65mm ATX a month later and never looked back. Upgraded to the 85 from the 65 for all the reasons you buy bigger lenses about a year later and now the 85 is all I have. Considered the 95, but figured I'd save myself some pack space, 8 oz (or whatever the weight difference is), and some cash.

Last fall I was hunting with a buddy who has Razor HD binos and an 85mm spotter. I have a pair of 10x50 ELs and the 85mm ATX and was toying with the idea of down grading them. It's like you said, that is $6,000 in optics. I could come out of that with a new pair of $1,000 binos and a $,1500 spotter and still have $3,500 left over to do whatever I wanted with. I traded him glass for about an hour while we were mule deer hunting, but decided I was fine having the money wrapped up in optics. Are they expensive? Oh yeah. Are they worth it? To me, yes, because hunting is easily my biggest hobby and I use the heck out of those things. I think if you hunt enough to justify having them, and have the money, why not get them?

Last note, a Swaro rep told me one time the difference between the SLC and the EL binos was mainly the "field flatteners" in the EL glass to give a flatter image, without that "rolling ball" effect. He compared the ATS and the ATX the same way and that's what sold me on the ATX vs the ATS. I had a pair of SLC and EL binos at the same time for a bit and always liked using the ELs much more.

I went from a 20-60x80hd ATS to the ATX/BTX 95. After buying the ATX setup I kept the ATS for a year in case I had buyers remorse.

There is absolutely no way I would go back after using the BTX. I backpack hunt with it and even though it’s heavy I have never wished I had the ATS again instead.

fatrascal

WKR
When I started out buying expensive optics I went to a sporting goods store in Ely, Nevada. I think it's called sports world maybe. But I put a spotting scope on layaway and paid at least $50 dollars every month but usually a couple of hundred. When I paid it off I did the same thing with a pair of binos. Then I bought some on layaway at Gun World in Elko, Nevada. Supply chains like Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse usually are allowed 3 month layaway plans. But a Mom and Pop sporting good store can do whatever they want and usually will let you layaway for ever. And it helps out the local business. Fatrascal

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
So if your only planning on doing a atx/stx with a 65 and no plans of using the btx, is there really much need to upgrade from ats/sts?

tdot

WKR
I love my STX/BTX/65/95 combo. No regrets in buying it. Optically I absolutely think the STX/65 is better then the STS65. However, if you arent going to invest in the modularity of the ATX/STX series, then I think you should definitely look at the Kowa 883. IMO it optically slots between the Swaro STS and ATX series. The Kowa 88 is a huge jump from the 77. The Kowa 883 weighs the same as an ATX/65. It costs less. I think it's an easy choice...unless you want the modularity of the ATX system.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
If guys are packing 85mm and 95mm objectives with their BTX eyepieces it almost makes the Kowa 883 and certainly the Kowa 77 a "lightweight" option with Big Glass performance (comparatively).... But I get it, the BTX/ATX is a different glassing experience. The more I think about it the more I realize I am looking for that jack of all trades spotter, thinking the ATX fits that bill. The Kowa 77 and 883 seem to give you premium performance at a relatively digestible $cost and weight in pack. Hating to admit it but like many I am a bit of a Swaro fan boy as all of their products and customer support have treated me well...

pbcarch

WKR
Btw....I will be heading out to Montana this year for archery....with my btx/65lense + extender.

It acts like a light spotter and big bino. So it saves weight ;-)

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AKborn87

FNG
Since no one has posted a regret. I might. I currently have an ATX 65, “upgraded” from a Kowa 773 and I may go back. Ive had the ATX for six months now so the jury is still out for me. I was initially planning on getting the BTX and a 95mm. Then you realize your talking $6000 for a used setup. Sure its pretty sweet but $6000 sweet????

I dont know about that especially when the $1900 Kowa 773 is pretty awesome. Optically Im not convinced the ATX is better than the Kowa and the Kowa has dual focus knobs which I like better than the wheel. The only advantage the ATX has is the interchangeability and the more I thought about it really the only “advantage” the ATX has is it requires you to spend more money to make it “worth it”. How insane is that???? The only way to make something worth having is to spend more money on it. After more time comparing the two I may be going back to the Kowa.

I'm glad you posted this as I'm completely torn on a 1 spotter option (Kowa 77 vs. ATX 65/85) for Alaska. I've also looked through the ATS 65 and while impressive, it would be nice to either have a slightly bigger objective (77mm) and WA eyepiece or the ability to swap from the 65 to 85 based on the type of hunt...torn I tell you.

Any idea what the true weights (w/scope caps) of the ATX 65 and Kowa 77 are?

I'm glad you posted this as I'm completely torn on a 1 spotter option (Kowa 77 vs. ATX 65/85) for Alaska. I've also looked through the ATS 65 and while impressive, it would be nice to either have a slightly bigger objective (77mm) and WA eyepiece or the ability to swap from the 65 to 85 based on the type of hunt...torn I tell you.

Any idea what the true weights (w/scope caps) of the ATX 65 and Kowa 77 are?

Kowa and ATX Weight

I would refer to the above regarding weights. What is interesting is according to the article they weigh the same even though its a 77mm vs a 65mm. I have no reason to doubt their weights. What I do think they could’ve shown better is the size difference. Even assembled the ATX is nice and compact when compared to the Kowa. The only reason I have an ATX is I knew I would always wonder if it was better than the Kowa until I tried it. Like I said after trying it I’m not convinced at all. The differences are so small and really centered around preference I think.

If you make a ton of money or have the best gear already or hunt a ton (like four or five months a year) the ATX may be for you. If you hunt a week or two with some scouting or camping trips mixed in Id go Kowa all the way especially at their current price. If you have other gear needs Id save the money go Kowa and upgrade other gear.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I've had several Swaro spotters over the years, started with strait 65mm with 20-60 eye piece, then angled magnesium 65mm with same 20-60 eyepiece, and decided I wanted more and HD glass so went to 80mm HD with the then new 25-50 wide eyepiece. I'll admit I did not love the 80mm scope body as much as I had hoped, but loved the 25-50 eye piece, huge improvement over the 20-60 for my eyes. The 80mm did not seem that much brighter, but sure took up more space.

Couple years ago I thought I made the mistake of talking to Stid and drinking his coolaid on the ATX. (my wife prefers I not talk with him often as I always end up buying new toys when I do) So I jumped in and bought the ATX with 95mm objective, and since I did not love my 80mm scope because of the extra bulk even over the weight, I went ahead and bought the 65mm objective too figuring I would use it specifically for sheep hunts. Nope--the last two sheep hunts I did I carried the 95mm and zero plans to change. The extra power and brightness simply makes it a no brainer for me. I did use the 65mm objective last season for moose camp just for grins as I had owned it for 2 years and never even mounted it on the eyepiece. I found the 65mm to be every bit as clear and it sure is a petite, cute little thing, but take care first few times as it balances differently than the 95mm and actually makes the scope back heavy. I am sure at some point I will just part with the 65mm objective as I simply do not see myself using it. The 95mm is certainly heavier and bulkier, but unlike my previous 80mm, it is absolutely worth it and the last thing I have problem justifying.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
I've had several Swaro spotters over the years, started with strait 65mm with 20-60 eye piece, then angled magnesium 65mm with same 20-60 eyepiece, and decided I wanted more and HD glass so went to 80mm HD with the then new 25-50 wide eyepiece. I'll admit I did not love the 80mm scope body as much as I had hoped, but loved the 25-50 eye piece, huge improvement over the 20-60 for my eyes. The 80mm did not seem that much brighter, but sure took up more space.

Couple years ago I thought I made the mistake of talking to Stid and drinking his coolaid on the ATX. (my wife prefers I not talk with him often as I always end up buying new toys when I do) So I jumped in and bought the ATX with 95mm objective, and since I did not love my 80mm scope because of the extra bulk even over the weight, I went ahead and bought the 65mm objective too figuring I would use it specifically for sheep hunts. Nope--the last two sheep hunts I did I carried the 95mm and zero plans to change. The extra power and brightness simply makes it a no brainer for me. I did use the 65mm objective last season for moose camp just for grins as I had owned it for 2 years and never even mounted it on the eyepiece. I found the 65mm to be every bit as clear and it sure is a petite, cute little thing, but take care first few times as it balances differently than the 95mm and actually makes the scope back heavy. I am sure at some point I will just part with the 65mm objective as I simply do not see myself using it. The 95mm is certainly heavier and bulkier, but unlike my previous 80mm, it is absolutely worth it and the last thing I have problem justifying.

It seems like the 95mm ATX especially and maaybe 85mm ATX are the big enough jump that would justify the upgrade in my case.

My other options: ATS80HD , Kowa 77 and even ATX 65 are probably not worth the switch for me due to the comparable performance of what I already have and use (ATS65HD 25-50). Im glad you mentioned you didn't think the ATS80HD was a worthwhile upgrade in your case because I had thought about that as well...

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
Only on Rokslide would you get a guy looking at trading up his scope with another sniffing for the deal, I thought the same thing...you just beat me to the post :ROFLMAO:

Yes if I make the plunge into the ATX world, or even switch to Kowa. I will put the spotter up for sale for sure.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
For you guys with the ATX, how does it balance. They look like they are back heavy to me, and could cause a lot of vibration / shake. But I haven’t had one so I do t know. I am thinking f on licking one up soon. What are your guys thoughts on how it balances on a normal tripod (short of a balance rail)? Thanks for the input.

For you guys with the ATX, how does it balance. They look like they are back heavy to me, and could cause a lot of vibration / shake. But I haven’t had one so I do t know. I am thinking f on licking one up soon. What are your guys thoughts on how it balances on a normal tripod (short of a balance rail)? Thanks for the input.

I have the ATX with 65mm objective. It is slightly backheavy, but with the tripod head tensioned even a little bit, it's not really noticible. But if you set it with no tension, it will just start pointing up at the sky instead of remaining horizontal.

I should qualify this; if you simply move the scope forward a little on the attachment plate, then it balances fine even with no head mount tension. It only "looks up" if you have everything centered on the plate.

As far as vibration, I haven't found that it's related to the tilt or balance of the scope. I'm using a Slik 634 and Sirui VA-5 head.

Last edited:
OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider

I had the same question, I am wondering If the 85mm objective is back heavy like the 65mm.