auction tags?

smitho

FNG
I saw that the Colorado bighorn tag auctioned for $130k and the Colorado goat tag went for $15k. Anybody know what the other states tags went for or do they not auction them all at the same place?

Hardstalk

WKR
Nv 120. Az 180, Nm 135, Montana rocky 480 or something crazy. This is what was relayed to me. Give or a take a couple k.

Buster

WKR
Heard montana went for $320 000, BC sheep went for $130 000, and Alberta went for $145 000.

Hardstalk

WKR
Auctioned tags, because the wealthy don't have enough unfair advantage on life might as well include hunting. Smh

They raised 4.3 million in the name of conservation. Specifically for sheep. Ill gladly sacrifice a tag or two (or three for that matter) in each state to assure my grandchildren get the same once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt a record free range ram. God bless the fellas opening their wallets at the banquets and conventions. The money could end up in a truss fund or back in their contracting business or spent on a private jet or house in maui. Instead they donate it for a good cause.

And those prices dont include what they spend on a guide. Wether your for a guide service or not on your hunts there is a handful in each state bustin their arse trying to keep afloat by doing what they love. Chasing deer, sheep, elk these fellas that bought the tag give them a call and its like they won the super bowl!

matty_ren

FNG
I'm not sure how I really feel about the auction tags, but for the Alaska tag i believe 10% goes to the WSF and the rest goes to Fish and Game so there's no doubt its efficient fundraising. Not sure if all the auction tags are that split or not.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
They raised 4.3 million in the name of conservation. Specifically for sheep. Ill gladly sacrifice a tag or two (or three for that matter) in each state to assure my grandchildren get the same once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt a record free range ram. God bless the fellas opening their wallets at the banquets and conventions. The money could end up in a truss fund or back in their contracting business or spent on a private jet or house in maui. Instead they donate it for a good cause.

I agree with the results just not the principal that money can buy a world record.

Super Moderator
Staff member
exactly. welcome to the world of bullshit game park trophies.

That's my point! With as much actual hunting that guy did he might as well have just paid to have his name in a book. Saying that it is acceptable to auction governor tags because the money goes to a good place is the equivalent of saying if you have a lot of money you don't have to abide by the rules and regulations that everyone else does. By the same reasoning you might as well say murder is OK as long as you have enough money to donate a hefty sum to a good charity.

Buster

WKR
It is a tough pill to swallow when auction tags get the same credit as other harvests. However, they do bring a LOT of money back to conservation groups/efforts. So here's the million dollar question (more like multi million dollar question). What is an effective alternative that can raise that much money for these causes, along with the associated benefits of employing guides etc. I hope this question results in constructive conversation.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a tough pill to swallow when auction tags get the same credit as other harvests. However, they do bring a LOT of money back to conservation groups/efforts. So here's the million dollar question (more like multi million dollar question). What is an effective alternative that can raise that much money for these causes, along with the associated benefits of employing guides etc. I hope this question results in constructive conversation.

Raise the cost of tags for everyone. Now I know that no one likes the thought of that but take Missouri for example, the cost of rifle tags are $19 for residents with 300k + hunting every year. I say double it! That would be over six million in additional revenue not including non residents. Now I am not saying all tags should be doubled indiscriminately, but most of us can afford an extra $100-200 a lot easier than $100k and then we'd all have the same hunting opportunities.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Missouri department of conservation also imposes additional tax on all ammo and firearms sold in the state that goes directly to conservation, its not a whole lot so most don't even notice it but its enough that we have an outstanding conservation department.

Buster

WKR
Raise the cost of tags for everyone. Now I know that no one likes the thought of that but take Missouri for example, the cost of rifle tags are $19 for residents with 300k + hunting every year. I say double it! That would be over six million in additional revenue not including non residents. Now I am not saying all tags should be doubled indiscriminately, but most of us can afford an extra $100-200 a lot easier than $100k and then we'd all have the same hunting opportunities.

Bold, I think it's got some merit. After all, hunters spend a lot of money on gear etc, especially the vast majority of sheep hunters. It would be a tough sell to get the public on board for any increase unless the Fish and Wildlife departments could guarantee the increased feea would go directly to sheep.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure not all of these auctions go to sheep so to say it all would have to go to sheep isn't quite the same. In Missouri a large part goes to managing whitetail and turkey but some goes to the less valuable game species and some has even gone into reintroducing elk which happened a few years ago and is going well. If you want to donate to a specific species donate to the charity organizations specific to those animals.

Hardstalk

WKR
All these tags were auctioned at the sheep show in reno.

http://www.wildsheepfoundation.org/Page.php/cp/Convention Home

And majority of the tags were sheep tags that were auctioned. I dont know about all states but here in NV they split up the goverment designated tags pretty well between the "silver state tags" the "auctioned tags" and "governor tags" they divy them up between all of the conservation groups. Rmef, mule deer foundation, w.h.i.n, n.s.u, fraternity of desert bighorn, and a couple others all get some tags to auction off wether it be statewide, all year long, deer,elk,turkey,sheep and so on.

Last edited:

JP100

WKR

If all the rich old buggers where actually real hunters they would donate all their moneys for the pure "love of the hunt" haha that would be dream world if that happened.