auction tags?

All these tags were auctioned at the sheep show in reno.

http://www.wildsheepfoundation.org/Page.php/cp/Convention Home

And majority of the tags were sheep tags that were auctioned. I dont know about all states but here in NV they split up the goverment designated tags pretty well between the "silver state tags" the "auctioned tags" and "governor tags" they divy them up between all of the conservation groups. Rmef, mule deer foundation, w.h.i.n, n.s.u, fraternity of desert bighorn, and a couple others all get some tags to auction off wether it be statewide, all year long, deer,elk,turkey,sheep and so on.

My bad I didn't realize we were talking about only the tags auctioned at the sheep show or is that the only place that auctions them.

Hunting is an individual sport - between the hunter and the animal. I often wonder why some hunters get so caught up in what other hunters do?

Pretty sure not all of these auctions go to sheep so to say it all would have to go to sheep isn't quite the same. In Missouri a large part goes to managing whitetail and turkey but some goes to the less valuable game species and some has even gone into reintroducing elk which happened a few years ago and is going well. If you want to donate to a specific species donate to the charity organizations specific to those animals.

Not all of the funds go to sheep. From the auction tags I read up on, it seems like, as a rough number, 75% of the money is allotted specifically to habitat enhancement or something similar. As long as it is marked for wildlife, as opposed to going into general revenue, there would be more support for it.

I personally feel very fortunate that my bighorn sheep tag only sets me back less than $50. To pay double that, and know that $50 would go directly back to a wildlife/habitat fund would be great. Can each state and province make this a reality? Will governments cut back on their portion of funding projects if they see revenues already marked for these specific sectors?

I hope more people speak up with their thoughts. I'm sure there are some good thoughts out there.

My bad I didn't realize we were talking about only the tags auctioned at the sheep show or is that the only place that auctions them.

There are other auctions that are state sanctioned and chapters in each state for different animals. Separate from the sheep show. But this is the big daddy show where the big boy$ comes to play. Nwtf, rmef, mule deer foundation and so on.

Not all of the funds go to sheep. From the auction tags I read up on, it seems like, as a rough number, 75% of the money is allotted specifically to habitat enhancement or something similar. As long as it is marked for wildlife, as opposed to going into general revenue, there would be more support for it.

I personally feel very fortunate that my bighorn sheep tag only sets me back less than $50. To pay double that, and know that $50 would go directly back to a wildlife/habitat fund would be great. Can each state and province make this a reality? Will governments cut back on their portion of funding projects if they see revenues already marked for these specific sectors?

I hope more people speak up with their thoughts. I'm sure there are some good thoughts out there.

I think if there were a way to protect the funds from greed it would be a solid plan! Until then I think the right minded conservation groups are making a valiant effort to fill the void.

Nothing like good ole class warfare. To cut down a man for giving over $100k to conservation to hunt a sheep is insane. Sheep are teetering on the brink of non huntable populations in many areas and cashflow from these auctions helps keep them above that line often times...

I see this as no different than someone envying a man for his bigger house, fancier car, prettier girlfriend, etc... we should all have equal opportunity, right?

I will never in my life be able to afford an auction tag, but more power to them. If they kill a world record legally (even if they employ 20+ guides in doing so)... more power to them. What does it matter to me? In the end, they are helping the herd of animals I love to hunt. I don't care who's name is in a book somewhere.

Well said TEmbry, instead of worrying about the guys buying tags to hunt, why not focus on raising your own financial situation so you can someday do the same?

Equating auction tags to criminal activity is quite a jump and invalidates your argument. While it's true that a lot of guys don't "really hunt" or only hunt a few days after their guides find the animals, I doubt that's the norm, especially with sheep hunts...

I'm nowhere near being able to purchase an auction tag, maybe someday!

If this is the answer to conservation why doesn't the state just cut out the middle man and do the auction themselves? They use this system of "donating" tags to bypass their own rules. How much money did orvis spend to say who can use super slam? Did the membership foot that bill or was money raised for sheep used in legal fees? We are totally dependent on the board of directors of these groups to invest this money in the most productive ways. Few have open books on what where that money is spent on that's allot of trust. Are good thing done with money raised of course but there must have been a reason we didn't auction off tags in the early days is conversation. I hope the trend to auction tags is peaking but the amount of money and the politics of most state game management agencies makes that very doubtful

If this is the answer to conservation why doesn't the state just cut out the middle man and do the auction themselves? They use this system of "donating" tags to bypass their own rules. How much money did orvis spend to say who can use super slam? Did the membership foot that bill or was money raised for sheep used in legal fees? We are totally dependent on the board of directors of these groups to invest this money in the most productive ways. Few have open books on what where that money is spent on that's allot of trust. Are good thing done with money raised of course but there must have been a reason we didn't auction off tags in the early days is conversation. I hope the trend to auction tags is peaking but the amount of money and the politics of most state game management agencies makes that very doubtful

Because state agencies operate on thin budgets and in a lot of cases it is these other organizations helping foot the bill for conservation projects in conjunction with the state. Without throwing them a bone every now and then in the form of an auction tag to raise money, that help may dry up.

One thing we can all agree on is the fact that conservation organizations should be much more transparent with their budgets than they are currently.

Nothing like good ole class warfare. To cut down a man for giving over $100k to conservation to hunt a sheep is insane. Sheep are teetering on the brink of non huntable populations in many areas and cashflow from these auctions helps keep them above that line often times...

I see this as no different than someone envying a man for his bigger house, fancier car, prettier girlfriend, etc... we should all have equal opportunity, right?

I will never in my life be able to afford an auction tag, but more power to them. If they kill a world record legally (even if they employ 20+ guides in doing so)... more power to them. What does it matter to me? In the end, they are helping the herd of animals I love to hunt. I don't care who's name is in a book somewhere.

It's not envy. I don't fault someone for being able to afford their own private sheep herd or whatever to hunt, but these animals are public resources. Public resources like these have rules and regulations to be able to legally harvest them, you should not be allowed to circumvent these rules and regulations based on how much money you have. That's like saying its OK to poach an elk as long as you donate $10k to the rocky mountain elk foundation.

It's not envy. I don't fault someone for being able to afford their own private sheep herd or whatever to hunt, but these animals are public resources. Public resources like these have rules and regulations to be able to legally harvest them, you should not be allowed to circumvent these rules and regulations based on how much money you have. That's like saying its OK to poach an elk as long as you donate $10k to the rocky mountain elk foundation.

No, it's not the same at all and the legal hunters donating hundreds of thousands of dollars for that tag would take offense to such statements. Purchasing a legal tag to hunt an animal is in no way similar to poaching. They aren't circumventing any rules either, the state offers up these tags to fundraise conservation efforts and they choose to pony up the dough.

These guys could buy a Mexican sheep hunt for 1/2-1/3 of these tags and a Canadian hunt for 1/4-1/6 of it. Sometimes even less. If its all about them buying an animal it can be done for much much less.

No, it's not the same at all and the legal hunters donating hundreds of thousands of dollars for that tag would take offense to such statements. Purchasing a legal tag to hunt an animal is in no way similar to poaching. They aren't circumventing any rules either, the state offers up these tags to fundraise conservation efforts and they choose to pony up the dough.

These guys could buy a Mexican sheep hunt for 1/2-1/3 of these tags and a Canadian hunt for 1/4-1/6 of it. Sometimes even less. If its all about them buying an animal it can be done for much much less.

If it is not circumventing normal rules and regulations then what is special about the tag? If these guys are so into the conservation side then why not just donate the money with no return on investment? You don't donate to African aid and expect anything in return. The rest of us would have to patiently wait out a weighted draw to have the same opportunities these guys are just paying for.

I would agree that it is very wrong to compare this kind of tag to poaching as there is nothing in common. The system allows this auction they don't just do it with no regard to rules.

If it is not circumventing normal rules and regulations then what is special about the tag? If these guys are so into the conservation side then why not just donate the money with no return on investment? You don't donate to African aid and expect anything in return. The rest of us would have to patiently wait out a weighted draw to have the same opportunities these guys are just paying for.

I know the bc tag, has extended seasons over normal seasons. You can hunt them in the rut and wintering ranges with the special tag.. Thats why it generates the money, otherwise you could just buy a tag for 35K.. PY stone sheep world record was taken on this special hunt

I know the bc tag, has extended seasons over normal seasons. You can hunt them in the rut and wintering ranges with the special tag.. Thats why it generates the money, otherwise you could just buy a tag for 35K.. PY stone sheep world record was taken on this special hunt

Exactly that's my point!! It may not be poaching but they are paying to be allowed to break normal rules and this gives an unfair advantage on a public resource.

I agree i personally know the person that held the WR stone. I also realize that it would not generate any money if there wasnt special rules. Its not poaching , but its a definite advantage. if it keeps sheep on our mountains, then i say its worth it..

I agree i personally know the person that held the WR stone. I also realize that it would not generate any money if there wasnt special rules. Its not poaching , but its a definite advantage. if it keeps sheep on our mountains, then i say its worth it..

There are other options than creating class distinctions in hunters.

Back