Avoid Burnt Lake Outfitters!

Laramie

WKR
It's a bummer you had to go through that. I know it's been very hard on the outfitters as well. Not all of them have survived the shutdown.

OP
J

JWampler

FNG
All I asked was for him to honor pricing and my deposit and he wouldn’t even do that. Sounds like he screwed everybody

GotDraw?

WKR
Another guy coming to Rokslide to completely disrespect an outfitter in his first post, GO Home!
@tentstrike ,

Cool down, brother. Perhaps it's best left up to each reader to determine if the OP is truly "disrespecting" the outfitter, or in the alternative if the OP actually seems to have a fair gripe about the outfitter.

I do know this:

Different things bring different members to Rokslide, some good and some bad; in my estimation, it's up to Rokslide moderators to SHOUT at a newcomer over a posting or ban them. The ONE thing that an attacking posts like yours certainly does do is give Rokslide an air of the same self-rightous and piling-on attacking attitude that other archery and hunting sites have. My belief is that Rokslide mods try hard to avoid that type of posturing. In fact, I've rarely seen it-- except from folks that end up getting themselves banned.

Which leaves the question-- who is more rude?

You, for taking it upon yourself to be the "Rokslide Judge, Jury and Police" regarding the newbie's post and doing the Moderators job for them, or the OP who may have a legitimate gripe and probably feels at wits end after apparently trying to work with the outfitter for some time on a reasonable solution?

JL

GotDraw?

WKR
OP @JWampler - I sent you a Private Message. You can find it by looking in the top right hand corner of your screen for the red dot by the little envelope. Click it

Big Dunc

FNG
Another guy coming to Rokslide to completely disrespect an outfitter in his first post, GO Home!
I'm going to agree with GotDraw?. I have seen the OP post questions about this situation for a bit on FB pages and seeking help. True, it is unfortunate this is his first post here. But I will also thank him for trying to spread the word about his experience.

Me either, but there a reference to it on the outfitter’s website (at least currently).
Ive never used an outfitter but if I ever do Id like to see the language in a hunting cancellation insurance.
The small print might say doesnt cover weather, acts of god, doctors note, pandemics, locust swarms, angry wife, death before use, boss wont let you go, weight gain....................help me out if I missed something:):):):)
DISCLAIMER - i'm not picking on outfitters:) most all are great just having some fun

Honyock

WKR
I just booked a bear hunt through World Wide Trophy Adventures (WTA)/Cabelas on the White Mountain Apache Reservation and WTA highly recommend hunt insurance. The insurance from what I can tell covers 75% -100% of the cost of the hunt and also covers "Trip Cancellation For Any Reason". I'm guessing that the OP is not the only one having issues with guides and outfitters on covid cancelations.

Scottf270

WKR
I'm trying to work with an Alberta wolf outfitter about getting my 1500.00 deposit back for a hunt canceled due to Covid.
I waited till the timeframe the hunt was to happen and when it didn't, I contacted him. I have other hunts booked the next two years and decided I'd rather have my deposit back and move on rather than wait 3 years to hunt.
I was treated like I'm a bad person for asking and was told that's why deposits are taken.
Said he and his partner were not going to refund any money.
When I pointed out I had not done anything wrong and had not gotten what I had purchased when it was due, he accused me of never really wanting to wolf hunt.
He finally said he would ask his partner. That was December 5, 2020. Not a word since. I texted on January 4, 2021. Silence.....but he has posted videos of his plane and hunts he's running with Canadian clients on social media. If he has internet, he probably has cell service...
I will try contacting again but I am afraid the issue is being avoided. I know Covid has been a pain but I never received the service I contracted, when it was due. I feel I'm due my deposit back if later dates don't work. We'll see what happens.....

fwafwow

WKR
I really wish the outfitters would respond to these threads. I imagine that in at least some instances there is another side.

Scottf270

WKR
I wish they would respond as well. Avoiding a situation only makes it worse. It's plain to me that when they are unable to offer the contracted service at the contracted time, a refund is due to the hunter.

Simply moving dates around does not work for everyone. Also doubling the amount of hunters in a given year is ripe for crappy hunts due to strained logistics, over crowding, not enough experienced guides, etc.

I'd say there's not a person on this forum who would pay for a service in a specific time frame and not expect a refund when the provider couldn't deliver.

elkguy

Lil-Rokslider
I contacted this particular outfitter after I saw the post on Facebook. His response to my questions regarding deposit/refunds due to COVID were very childless. It was like I was having a conversation with a teenager, rather than someone that owns a business. I totally understand the effects from COVID, being transparent with clients goes along ways. There’s no way I would do business with this individual.