Avoiding Hot Tent Mishaps

connerh04

FNG
Hey folks,
Looking to get a tipi/stove set up. Right now looking at the octopeak by luxe, haven’t decided on a stove but leaning toward tigoat. My biggest concern is burning the tipi down, seems like a valid concern to me. Luxe sells a tent protector but they are heavy, 2.9 lbs I think. These things can’t be necessary, right? What is the standard practice to avoid the chimney melting the tent? Pictures would be appreciated, I don’t want to find out the hard way this fall that I should’ve done something different. Thanks.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Looks like that model comes with a proper stove jack and protector panel, not sure what more you're looking for, that's all you need. It's not like you're going to be putting out massive BTUs in those dinky tent stoves. You'd be surprised how cool to the touch the tent fabric will be 12-16" away from the stove pipe.

OP
connerh04

connerh04

FNG
Don't those tents come with a stove jack sleeve? That's all you really need since the sides won't really be near the pipe like in a wall tent cuz it goes up the center.
Yeah they come with a stove jack, I think it’s silicon. Which I also thought would be enough but the fact they were selling additional protection for the tent was what made me question it. Your logic makes sense to me though, under most any conditions that stove jack should provide enough of a buffer to keep the tent off the pipe.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Is the protection for inside or outside? Like fire-resistant materiel? Sometimes they offer spark protector sheets for the outside.

My only suggestion would be if you will run a floor, consider a small sheet of something to place under the stove....I used fire blanket material in my larger tent, works great, but not light, but for a small stove something else might work. some folks might use flat rocks which works great and acts a thermal sink, but don't use rock from river banks....boom!

OP
connerh04

connerh04

FNG
Is the protection for inside or outside? Like fire-resistant materiel? Sometimes they offer spark protector sheets for the outside.

My only suggestion would be if you will run a floor, consider a small sheet of something to place under the stove....I used fire blanket material in my larger tent, works great, but not light, but for a small stove something else might work. some folks might use flat rocks which works great and acts a thermal sink, but don't use rock from river banks....boom!
They do have a “fire floor” like a footprint for the stove, but the chimney sleeve was the big one that made me question all of this. I’m fairly certain it will be a floorless set up with the potential of a footprint just for putting sleeping pads on, not a full floor. The luxe tents are already kind of heavy, so I’ll probably try and cut weight by not doing a tent liner or floor. It’ll be October/November use so bugs aren’t really a concern.

slatty

WKR
I’ve had a small grass fire in my seek outside tent. Yeah. This was putting the tent on a grassy area and not trimming the grass down around the stove without a base for it. Tent made it through unscathed.
I would agree with water at the ready. I now have a sheet for a fire floor. I actually just put the stove on a silicone baking sheet ($5) which hasn’t melted yet.

slatty

WKR
Most of those silicone sheets are rated to 400-450F-ish (they all should have a rating on them) which seems plenty warm to me.

I’ve had a small grass fire in my seek outside tent. Yeah. This was putting the tent on a grassy area and not trimming the grass down around the stove without a base for it. Tent made it through unscathed.
I would agree with water at the ready. I now have a sheet for a fire floor. I actually just put the stove on a silicone baking sheet ($5) which hasn’t melted yet.

This is exactly what happened to me. I knew the grass was tall but it was this spring and it was fresh green grass. I figured it'd just smolder and I'd kinda pat it out with my leather glove. Nope, there was a big POOF and instant 18" tall flames surrounding the stove. Nothing lost besides a liter of water and a bit of pride.

ozyclint

WKR
Hell yeah I cook with my kifaru box stove. If you get 3 disposable aluminum baking pans you have an oven. Turn one upside down on top of stove. Place the next one right way up on top of it, then the last one upside down as a lid. I have Cooked bread this way then put cheese on top then slid it underneath the stove and grilled the cheese.

Granted, we don't have bears though

Here I thought I was the only one who started a grass fire in their tipi! Things got sporty in the pretty quick.

Hey folks,
Looking to get a tipi/stove set up. Right now looking at the octopeak by luxe, haven’t decided on a stove but leaning toward tigoat. My biggest concern is burning the tipi down, seems like a valid concern to me. Luxe sells a tent protector but they are heavy, 2.9 lbs I think. These things can’t be necessary, right? What is the standard practice to avoid the chimney melting the tent? Pictures would be appreciated, I don’t want to find out the hard way this fall that I should’ve done something different. Thanks.
The "tent protector" is only for tents without a stove jack installed. Hope this helps!