Axis or FMJ for Elk

Topo_trekker

Fmj. Heavier the better. Foc doesn’t matter unless going through heavy bone and that won’t happen anyways unless you’re well above 600gr with that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jalenweyker

I’ve only shot axis arrows personally, but know more people that use fmj’S. Both are awesome but it seems the fmjs aren’t as forgiving on misses since the aluminum can bend. But you should have good arrow weight with either or. I personally wouldn’t hesitate to shoot either.

fatlander

I’ve shot both in the past, but I shoot gold tip hunter now. The axis is a better arrow than the FMJ, but I think the gold tips are a tougher arrow at a better price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

I switched from CE Maxima Reds to 5mm FMJ two years ago to get extra weight. I couldn’t be happier with to change. Started with 2 dozen shafts and still have 21. Two were busted by animals, one still lost behind target. I have yet to trash one by missing the target.
IMO, if you miss and hit something hard, it’s not going to matter if it’s a Axis or FMJ.

renagde

Axis. I've seen to many FMJ's with a little bend in them after hard impact. Load up the front end with 50 or 100 grain brass inserts and you're golden.

BigBuckDirtNap

I shoot a 70# Triax as well, but at 30". 579 gr total arrow weight at 264 fps.
Match Grade FMJ 300 w/ wraps
AAE Max Stealth in 4 fletch configuration
50 gr Brass HIT
100 gr Exodus