Backcountry diy

Hey all! I have never been out west but I want to spot and stalk a Muley with a rifle. I am looking for any buck to hunt not a monster. Any muley I take would be a trophy. I’m looking for the adventure. I want a glass over canyons and across valleys and mountains and chase a muley. I have no clue about how to start with units and pp or even what state. I am 41 and my sense of adventure has gotten the better of me. I want more than just an east of the Mississippi sit and wait on a whitetail type of hunt. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Chad E

WKR
I like the enthusiasm. I would start with the fish and wildlife websites in CO WY ID and Montana. They have great info and will get you started. Then buy an onx or gohunt membership to start really narrowing it down. The hunt you desire is obtainable for sure. If you need more direction send me a pm

OP
F
I like the enthusiasm. I would start with the fish and wildlife websites in CO WY ID and Montana. They have great info and will get you started. Then buy an onx or gohunt membership to start really narrowing it down. The hunt you desire is obtainable for sure. If you need more direction send me a pm
Thanks for the help guys. I am really clueless on this and I appreciate the direction!

OP
F
Anyone had any luck with the Missouri River breaks. I saw a few shows with spot and stalk muleys and that looks to me like an awesome hunt. From what I watched it looked like a lot of glassing and spot and stalk.

Werty

WKR
First off, use the search function on here. The amount of info in the archives is unreal. Depending on where you are going, you got about a month before applications are do, Wyoming I believe is first.
The breaks can be a good hunt, but can be tough, do to weather "gumbo roads".

Rob5589

WKR
Pick one or two states, pour over the respective fish and wildlife websites, once you narrow it down start looking at Google Earth and OnX.
Another option is to get a GoHunt membership. They have it all laid out in one place. Good luck!

def90

WKR
Buy an over the counter tag in Colorado or Idaho and get after it. Do a little research, pick a place, learn all you can about it (preferably by going there) and then go hunt.
No OTC for Mule Deer in Colorado.

For the OP.. Other than the obvious mule deer states don't forget about western North and South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas for glassing over sweeping vistas for mule deer. Might be a more reasonable $$ hunt as well.

OP
F
No OTC for Mule Deer in Colorado.

For the OP.. Other than the obvious mule deer states don't forget about western North and South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas for glassing over sweeping vistas for mule deer. Might be a more reasonable $$ hunt as well.
I have a Kansas hunt booked for 2021. I have done it several times but it is southeastern whitetail. I certainly would be interested in South Dakota for sure. When I hunt Kansas I envision the past Buffalo hunters coming through a century ago and the plains Indians on horseback giving chase. Maybe I have romanticized my vision of the west but it’s appealing to me.

Wassid82

WKR
If you are willing to hunt any size deer as a trophy then there should be lots of opportunity. Although I don’t use guides if I were considering a new type of terrain and tag I might consider It. Ultimately I do like the responsibility and reward of a diy

def90

WKR
Are they any OTC mule deer rifle hunts or are they all a PP or draw system? The draw systems are all confusing to me.
I think only Idaho has a rifle and archery OTC mule deer hunts and Arizona has OTC archery mule deer tags. Everyone else has some sort of limited license structure.

AustinR

FNG
I personally would highly suggest the GoHunt subscription, especially if/when you start looking into draws and preference points. Its helped me a ton

Rich M

WKR
As another east of old miss hunter, just plan, get a tag and go.

We hunt diff, have to read sign and hunt. Western hunting has some of that without the trees so you see a lot of critters. We also tend to have more patience.

Read the state info and find a state and unit with good public land access and a decent success rate doing what you want to do.

You'll see deer and who knows what else. Your hunting skills are diff but not bad. Just hunt all day every day and you'll find an opportunity.

We went to WY in 2017, 2 guys shot 4 antelope and seen a very decent muley buck.

CO in 2019, 2 guys shot 1 buck and missed 2 others. We saw 6 or so bucks from 2x2 to 160 inch 4x4. One of missed bucks was a 120 class 3x3, real pretty tall rack. Other was a 2x2. We gotta go back so buddy can get his buck.

What got us to this particular unit was a guy telling me to just go, hunt dawn to dark and you'll find a buck. Wasn't exactly that easy but a farmer told us to hunt near the farms and suddenly we saw a lot more deer.

Vegas03A3

FNG
I’ll be out in S NV this season, first time out ever. Competent backpacker and decent marksman, hoping to put it together for a few good long weekends with good buddies. I’m with you— any harvest will be a thrilling harvest.
I really appreciate the seniors’ advice here to settle on a unit, get to know it well, and focus my energy there. Will definitely be taking that approach.

Texowa

FNG
I’m 44 and went to Colorado for my first solo backcountry mule deer hunt in September. I used the often suggested “search” function on this site and others for two years before I went. I learned a lot on the internet, but in retrospect I spent too much time picking the brains of others. In the 6 days I spent in the woods, I learned more about myself, my equipment, my preferred hunting style, and my physical capabilities than I could’ve imagined. Others have said it before but I will say it again. Pick a state you want to explore and can get a tag, then just go. It really is that simple. Although it’s fun to research and buy gear, don’t over think it. We are not getting any younger and it will only get harder. Good luck and have fun.