Backcountry “Jerry Rig” Setups

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Borrowed the battery from an excavator to jump start our truck after we let the battery die. The walk back carrying the battery was a pain but better than the 9 mile hike back to camp to get another vehicle.

robtattoo

WKR
Borrowed the battery from an excavator to jump start our truck after we let the battery die. The walk back carrying the battery was a pain but better than the 9 mile hike back to camp to get another vehicle.

Much easier to leave a twenty tucked in the excavator door with GPS coordinates of the battery written on it 😉

Hang on........

Ok, maybe THAT'S why I'm overweight. 🤔

robtattoo

WKR
Thought of another.
I seam sealed a very leaky jacket, one time, with that spray on red rubber stuff you use on tool handles.
I think I wore it for 5 or 6 years like that.

87TT

WKR
Ha! I got stuck in the snow once and after an hour or so of digging, I remembered another stuck and abandoned two wheel drive truck with chains on back up the road a 1/2 mile. Went and borrowed the chains and got out. I dropped them in the bed on my way out. I feel just a little bad that I didn't put them back on for him.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
The boots on my old waders were cracked and leaking. I bought a tube of 3m marine adhesive and covered all the cracks and holes. It sealed the leaks and I used those wanders for another two years before I bought a new pair. Friends and strangers at the refuge used to give me a hard time for it, but it worked.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Great stuff. I forgot about this thread because I was so busy hunting right after Christmas and I never caught back up with it.

Phaseolus

WKR
Last summer coming home from camping the alternator quit on my Powerstroke. It finally used up all the juice out of two batteries when we got stopped for road construction (yep, the diesel truck has enough electronics it won’t run on a dead battery) . The flagger was yelling at me to get a move on it, I stepped out, got the jumper cables, attached them to the battery on the side of my camper, popped the hood and drove home. I did have to wire the hood down and tape the battery door shut on my camper after I cleared the construction zone.

Phaseolus

WKR
A small point of order, it's "Jury Rigged" not "Jerry Rigged."

Carry on :)
At a party of few years ago my rural raised Wife called it rigging with a racial slur in front of mixed company. Didn’t go over well. It just kind of slipped out i guess. Edited to add: My Wife is not racist, we grew up in a rural area where there are just not many black people and it was a common enough saying in her youth and thus part of her subconcious.

Last edited:

Wellsdw

WKR
Capacitor died in my ac. Only way to make the fan kick on full speed was to barely keep it moving with a box fan. July weekend in nc….. AAA (was a joke added to a friends hvac company).

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 24

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A bunch of us were on a four wheel trip many years back and one of the guys broke down. We figured his fuel pump went out, I always carried various things in case of emergency, one of which was a very small 12 volt fuel transfer pump. Well we put it in line with the fuel line and wired it up, he made it another 15 miles or so into Big Bear, then found a auto supply store and picked up a new fuel pump, which in Big Bear took some looking around.

Nothing near as MacGyver as most of you, but I had the shoulder strap of my hunting pack tear off about an inch from the pack. Got lucky and had a needle in a sewing kit (who brings a sewing kit on an elk hunt? Me, apparently) but no appropriate thread. Found some floss and went to work. Still holding 11 years later.

P