Backcountry motorcycle trailer

robtattoo

WKR
Wasn't really sure where to put this.

I'm planning on taking my TW200 to Wyoming with me this October. My truck just gets too beaten up on the trails & it's getting old & bettered enough, that I'm not wanting to risk it & not be able to get home.
The bike is perfectly suited for my needs, more so than a UTV or 4-wheeler (neither of which I own anyway) but it's carrying capacity is limited.
I have a trailer hitch on the back of it & I was looking at maybe getting a really cheap yard trailer, mostly for hauling firewood to camp & hopefully cutting down on my elk packing worries.
I really have no other use for it past this 3-4 week trip, so I absolutely won't spend money if I don't need to.

Right now, I'm looking at one of these:

Has anyone used one offroad before? I'm concerned that the tires just won't hold up, towing over sagebrush roots.....

Le bike:
20230816_141020.jpg
20230816_141042.jpg

CorbLand

WKR
I dont know how it would hold up but there should be plenty of options for flat free tires in that or similar sizes. The tires look like they are a wheelbarrow tire.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I dont know how it would hold up but there should be plenty of options for flat free tires in that or similar sizes. The tires look like they are a wheelbarrow tire.

As far as i can tell, that's exactly what they are.
I didn't think about upgrading the wheels. That might make it worthwhile.

CorbLand

WKR
As far as i can tell, that's exactly what they are.
I didn't think about upgrading the wheels. That might make it worthwhile.
The only concern I would have would be heat if you run them really fast.

Be interested to hear what happens if you do it. My brother has a TW and has talked about doing something similar.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I can't imagine them going much more than jogging speed. 10mph, absolute tops.

I found these that I've ordered. They certainly look to be a bit more sturdy!
The more i think about it, the more sure i am that I'm going to fabricate something myself. I don't think I'll save money, but i can certainly build it to a better size.

Oregon 58-050 480/400-8 Agricultural Lug Tread Tubeless Tire 2-Ply https://a.co/d/fQQkbYD

CorbLand

WKR
If you have the ability, building it yourself would probably be the best bet.

I would see if you can make the tongue pivot as I could see going over, even some small hills/dips and the tongue hitting. You could also solve that by making the attachment point to the bike up by the rear fender.

BLJ

WKR
I’m going to bet that dragging that thing down dirt roads will be LOUD.
That may not be a concern for you. But my experience with those yard carts is that they rattle like crazy. No suspension means the tires are the suspension. Noisy for sure.
And everything bounces around. A lot.
IMO.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
@CorbLand

For your brother's interest: this is what I have. I've bought quite a bit from Bradley's & they're top tier. Their prices kinda reflect that sometimes.....

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I’m going to bet that dragging that thing down dirt roads will be LOUD.
That may not be a concern for you. But my experience with those yard carts is that they rattle like crazy. No suspension means the tires are the suspension. Noisy for sure.
And everything bounces around. A lot.
IMO.

That's a good point. Lots to rattle too. My build will be much simpler, I think.

CorbLand

WKR
@CorbLand

For your brother's interest: this is what I have. I've bought quite a bit from Bradley's & they're top tier. Their prices kinda reflect that sometimes.....

I will send that to him.

He wants something that he can get an animal out with. His concern has always been killing something and trying to bring it out on his back. The problem he has, he hunts an area that has a lot of single track so a full size trailer won’t work.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I will send that to him.

He wants something that he can get an animal out with. His concern has always been killing something and trying to bring it out on his back. The problem he has, he hunts an area that has a lot of single track so a full size trailer won’t work.

That's exactly my situation.

packer58

WKR
We have pulled trailers behind quads a few times in western NV, things iv'e learned .......

1- They get the $hit beat out of them.
2- Whatever you do bring a spare.
3- Small trailers have NO suspension so your gear gets roughed up a bit.
4- Run flat tires would work but have even less cushion.
5- If you can, modify the coupler to swivel in case you roll the trailer so it doesn't wreck your hitch.
6- Tarp your load, gets pretty dusty back there.
7- This one is a no brainer but worth mentioning, IF your carrying extra fuel ........ make sure your can is perfectly sealed or your gear will smell like gas for a while .........this happened to a buddy of mine and it was horrible.

Nice bike / set-up by the way .......

idahodave

WKR
Bringing meat out on your back is THE way to do it. It’s not hard. Here is my son doing so with his first elk at 12.

I wouldn’t use a trailer with a bike on a dare….and I’ve packed out about 60 animals with a bike, from moose to antelope and everything in between.

dave

Attachments

• E2CE1F98-C0A1-428C-9AB0-9C336409217F.jpeg
    E2CE1F98-C0A1-428C-9AB0-9C336409217F.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
What about a sled? I’ve seen some of the snow machine guys have these.
They put UMHW (think thick cutting board) skis on the bottom to keep the bottom of the sled from getting beat up.
I understand that your not going to be on snow, but that UMHW stuff is crazy tough.

rayporter

WKR
i have had a trailer like that one for many years. all the negatives are spot on. it rattles and has no suspension. pulled with a tractor real sloooow it is ok. behind an atv it is not much fun, even for just a few hundred yards.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
What about a sled? I’ve seen some of the snow machine guys have these.
They put UMHW (think thick cutting board) skis on the bottom to keep the bottom of the sled from getting beat up.
I understand that your not going to be on snow, but that UMHW stuff is crazy tough.

There's every chance I could be dealing with snow. Western Wyoming in October can be anywhere from 60° to -20 (or lower)
I have a jet sled I'm packing along for just that eventuality

BLJ

WKR
Maybe worth a shot in the dirt as well. Depending, of course.

I would look at one of the composite bed ones, that thing is going to sound like a parade and likely won’t last long. Tractor trailer supply has different options