Backcountry pocket knife

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I carried a gerber for the last ten years but I'm looking really hard at the spyderco native 5 or para 3. I don't know which, but one of those will be mine before november.

mcseal2

WKR
I compared the two and the blade on the Bugout is almost identical to the blade on the Altitude. The steel is different, but the blade shape is not.

Probably not the first knife you look at when looking for a light EDC, But I gave the Benchamde Contigo a try and it hasn't left my pocket for two years now. I thought I would never like the size, but I got used to it within a week, and now its size is an all around plus for me. I personally like the harder steel on a knife that I use as a tool on a regular basis. The glass breaker on end of the handle is a nice feature as well. All in all its not as bulky or heavy as i thought originally. just something you might not look at that I have found to be a great every day knife. If you wear skinny jeans, it'll probably be a no go as when its open, its overall length is just under 9.5". Great knife to compliment a scalpel blade when breaking down an animal.

qwerksc

WKR
I have a big knife issue, I'm carrying the Benchmade Bugout now, but I can say that the blade and the Knife as a whole, feels a little week and I'm afraid to push it for the fact that it feels fragile. I have a Benchmade Kulgara That is my favorite knife, in my hand it feels indestuctable, best knife I have, Yet I carry the Bugout, cause its light and I don't feel it in my pocket

Kaseman

FNG
The Spyderco delica 4. Flat ground.. use the heck outa this thing everyday. Sharpens easy but takes a moderately lasting edge. Very good in handimage.jpg

wildcat33

WKR
I take the same knife I take with me every other day of the year: benchmade mini-barrage.

bsnedeker

WKR
I take a little victorinox swiss army knife! I also carry a Mora in my possibles pouch if I need to do any major knife work.

j_mcrane

FNG
Hmm. I’m a knife guy like you and Blade forums member. I carried a griptillion for ever. I’ve got a number of different folders. But the spyderco para 2 is hard to beat. Below is some eye candy for you.

a517eafcea2e269717d20466da4204c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a little Spyderco with ZDP-189 steel but for real work I prefer a fixed blade Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter CPM3V steel. Stronger, easier to clean afterwards.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a Benchmade North Fork as an EDC. I can skin or gut a fish if I have to.

I prefer a fixed blade so if I'm going out with the intention of hunting I've got other knives.

I always carry a Leatherman Signal though, that little multitool has come in handy a few times now.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm. I’m a knife guy like you and Blade forums member. I carried a griptillion for ever. I’ve got a number of different folders. But the spyderco para 2 is hard to beat. Below is some eye candy for you.

a517eafcea2e269717d20466da4204c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a heck of a stable. I just pulled the trigger on a native 5 lw. The 2.5 ounces was to intriguing to pass up.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
For a folder, I carry a spyderco stretch. By no means a replacement for a fixed blade, but blade is thin and long enough to make it great for camp kitchen tasks. Have used it to field process deer, but that's also an easy way to gunk up a folder.

I own and have owned a pile of fixed blades, from semi-custom to mass market. I could have saved a lot of money if out of the gate I purchased a knives of alaska alpha wolf (for game processing) and a mora companion (for everything else).

1000yrds

FNG
I purchased the Bushbuddy several months ago directly from Fritz and a small sheath knife is useful. I'm using a small Randall but there are a lot of alternatives. With the Bushbuddy it really helps to have a more substantial knife than one of the typical ultralight pocket knives.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I have 3 light pocket knives I really like. All 3 have great actions and lockup and all 3 will semi or fully drop closed with one hand. These knives are all very close to each other and its kinda splitting hairs between the 3.

Spyderco Delica4 Combo Blade Black With Flytanium Carbon Fiber Scales (VG-10) - 2.65oz - $175
Zero Tolerance 0450 Flipper Black Carbon Fiber (CPM-S35VN) - 2.40oz - $196
Benchmade Blackout Bugout With Flytanium Carbon Fiber Scales (CPM-S30V) - 2.15oz - $210

The lightest weight goes to the benchmade along with the highest price. The blade steel is good and the blade style is a great utility style blade. I didn't like the plastic scales that came on it and didn't care for the flex they offered. The flytanium scales make this knife feel solid as a rock. Feels really nice in the hand. Price includes the flytanium scales. This knife feels the lightest and the scale agrees.

The zero tolerance is a great knife. If you don't have a zero tolerance I would recommend picking any one up. I have 2 and the flip out on both is stellar. The blade is a little more "stabby" profile. The steel is great. Middle of the 3 on weight and price. It feels a little small in my sasquatch hands. This knife feels the heaviest but the scale says other wise.

The spyderco is the least cost and highest weight of the 3. The vg-10 doesn't hold an edge as well and needs touched up a bit more. However the syder flip on that knife is really nice. The handle profile on this one feels the nicest in my big hands. If I could get a black blade in cpm-s35v or 20v this knife would be my favorite. Nobody actually notices a half an ounce in their pocket.

Oregonboy

WKR
I would recommend the Spyderco Para 3. It's the smaller version of the Paramilitary 2 and I consider it to be the perfect folder. It's S30V, fits great in the hand, easy to sharpen and the G10 handle will ensure a good grip if your hands are wet. This knife has exceeded all my expectations and retains an edge better than other S30V blades I own. Spyderco nailed it with it this.

1000yrds

FNG
I've got a SOG Flash II that a friend gave me a few years ago. I love the spring assist opening, positive open lock, and half serrated blade. It also has a safety that keeps the blade closed when engaged. I've only had it sharpened once in the 4 years I've owned it. It holds an edge well and I'm tough on knives.