Backcountry - sleeping bag recommendations

McD18

FNG
Down gives you best warmth to weight but you're hosed if the bag gets wet. Keep it dry and you'll be good to go.

Second the good sleeping pad. I like an inflatable one myself so I can sleep on my side.

bailey214

FNG
Planning a elk hunt in Oct and looking to pickup new sleeping bag. Weather could be 20’s at night and warmer in the afternoon. Would like to keep it under $400, so any recommendations would be great. Backpacking in so weight is key as well.
I bought the Magma 15 today at REI's annual sale. Going to be CO with it about the same time as you. I'll check the weather ahead of time and possibly supplement with a liner.

Any thaughts on the kelty cosmic down bags or marmot tressels line? I believe they are a reasonable price bag and lite weight

Beendare

WKR
I refuse to buy an REI branded product. Their business model has been to steal the designs of the top selling products and outsource them to the cheapest Chinese manufacturer. Making it worse, at my local store, if you mention your use involves hunting, you’ll likely be treated terribly.

I’ve had the opposite experience with western mountaineering, Sierra trading post, and the like. And if rei makes it for cheap, you can find the actual brand originator at sierratrading post cheaper than the rei brand.

That^ has not been my experience at all at REI...and I live in the SF Bay Area!

Everything I've bought thats REI branded is quality. Plus they guarantee it. Merrill hikers leaked on first outing- replaced/ refunded no questions asked.

They do have a bunch of granola eaters in there...but if the hunting subject comes up....I softball it to the greenies; Natural healthy protein.... that sort of thing...I don't tell them if its brown its down.....[which is a little closer to the truth /grin]

REI is having a big sale right now- bought my boots for $70 off, great quality socks 30% off, 20% off coupon for one item.

Beendare

WKR
OP- do a search on sleeping bags here- tons of info.

IMO,
Some thing are worth spending top dollar; Binos, sleeping bag

I can tell you there is no very good/cheap 800 fill down bags. You can get a good Syn bag for decent $$. Then if you go down bag...pair it with a very good high R value pad---these will serve you well for many years

REI brand, Montbell or Marmot on sale is about as good as a guy can do. I've seen those bags for 30% off in the off season. WM is the cream of the crop...those never go on sale....but they are worth the extra $$.

Its terrible to hear that the folks at REI would treat a customer in that way, I've never been in one as there isn't one close to me but we do have a Sierra trading Post and their all possitive bunch of folks also had good luck at moose jaw when shopping for equipment and another place that I've found deals and positive vibes from is believe it or not the boy scout store ...not a big selection but their prices on sleeping bags were way better than the local Cabela's and Bass pro shop before the merger.

Jawmarq

FNG
I've been looking for the same thing. I've been considering the kelty cosmic 20, but I too am considering a quilt.