Backcountry - sleeping bag recommendations

MI Hunter

FNG
Planning a elk hunt in Oct and looking to pickup new sleeping bag. Weather could be 20’s at night and warmer in the afternoon. Would like to keep it under $400, so any recommendations would be great. Backpacking in so weight is key as well.

depends if you want to run down or synthetic. october if i’m backpacking in id run a 20* slick bag

Dools009

FNG
If you can get into a retailer and try out the sizing on some bags that will give you a starting point. Key dimensions are how big you are around the shoulders, how much wiggle room you like as it tapers toward your feet, and then obviously the length.

The most efficient bag is the one that has the least amount of dead air space (as you have to continually heat that up as it leaks out of the bag). You have to balance that with what you are comfortable sleeping in.

Personally I size my bags so that I have enough shoulder girth to be able to wear a thick down puffy while I sleep without compressing the insulation of the jacket or bag. I like enough leg room to be able to put my boots/other damp gear in a WP stuffsack between my legs (or just past my feet) and dry them overnight.

As said above, synthetic vs down will depend on how you want to use it and what sort of shelter you are using in what conditions etc. At $400 budget you have a lot of options. Personally I'd shoot for something that has a true rating around 10 degree F as it gives you some wiggle room if your "target" is around 20F

Dools009

FNG
if you want top of the line you cant go wrong with bags from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. If you can find a retailer that will fit one to you $400 should get you close with one of those 2 brands

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I really wanted a Slick Bag, but I’m too cheap for one, so I found a Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z, I believe, for half the price. It’s a 5F bag and a little heavier but it does the trick.

I agree with Dools that 10F seems to be the sweet spot for a cold weather bag for me, although I’m not out West. I’m a cold sleeper, so I pad the rating by 10F or so for a comfort range. So, I consider a 20F bag to be comfortable at around 30F, with some clothes on. That’s not really getting me into the cold weather. But a 0F is too heavy and warm for the cold weather I find myself in.

So a 10F bag (20F comfort) seems like a good number for me. If it’s warmer I can just open the bag up and lay it over me. I prefer that anyway. If it’s edging towards 20F, I usually have some extra clothes I can put on.

If it’s much colder than that, you’re looking at a full-on deep winter setup.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I should have added that I prefer synthetic when it’s cold. I’ve never mad much luck drying out the condensation, etc, when it’s cold and I’m thinking about hunting or whatever.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I was recommended a 0 degree bag and insulated pad for second season mule deer. October weather could be all over the board.

I think Nemo has a 0 degree bag around that price point but Western Mountaineering is gonna be a little more. I think the 0 degree slick bag is around 400 though. Depends if you want synthetic or down

walleyes

FNG
I am also looking at bags. Being from Canada I am lookin at something “taiga works”. They seem to be the Canadian equivalent to western mountaineering and with the exchange would fit in you budget.

Jimbob

WKR
I am also looking at bags. Being from Canada I am lookin at something “taiga works”. They seem to be the Canadian equivalent to western mountaineering and with the exchange would fit in you budget.

The Taiga bags look pretty good but weigh a good chunk more than WM. Mec sells WM but pricey. MEC also has a gear swap section, scroll to the bottom of their website to find it. I just bought a WM used off the swap for almost half price.

aion2come

WKR
Are you stuck on a bag? I switched to a quilt and never looked back. Lighter, cheaper, and super comfy. As stated, get a good insulated pad. That is just as important as what goes on top.

walleyes

FNG
The Taiga bags look pretty good but weigh a good chunk more than WM. Mec sells WM but pricey. MEC also has a gear swap section, scroll to the bottom of their website to find it. I just bought a WM used off the swap for almost half price.
They are within an once or 2. Just remember the temp rating are in Celsius not Fahrenheit. They are all comparable to the Gore WM bags. I don’t own one, but did talk to the on the phone today.

I refuse to buy an REI branded product. Their business model has been to steal the designs of the top selling products and outsource them to the cheapest Chinese manufacturer. Making it worse, at my local store, if you mention your use involves hunting, you’ll likely be treated terribly.

I’ve had the opposite experience with western mountaineering, Sierra trading post, and the like. And if rei makes it for cheap, you can find the actual brand originator at sierratrading post cheaper than the rei brand.

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Get a good pad with at least a 4.0 r value coupled with a descent quilt. They say that the quilts run 10 degrees warmer than what it claims so a 10 degree quilt will keep you warm in 20 degrees etc. enlightened equipment is very reputable but it on a tight budget id run a hammock gear down quilt. I recently purchased a 0 degree quilt from them and the quality looks to be up to par. Haven’t had a chance to test it yet but looks to be good quality. There are a few other budget friendly quilt companies that are reasonable if you research backpacking quilts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheajeff

FNG
I would highly recommend looking at a western mountaineering bag, I have the antelope model which only weighs 2lb 7oz, I spend roughly 30 plus days in it above 11000 feet to 13500 feet and it has always kept me very warm.