Backpack size/Days of food/gear

doublebow

FNG
Thinking about getting an Exo 3500 pack( Currently have a 5200)

What is the max days i can stay out in the backcountry?

WTFJohn

WKR
What is the weather going to be like? What's your tent/sleeping setup? Weapon? Extra clothing? Cooking with a stove or going with a cold food option? Carrying a tripod & spotter? How much room is left in your 5200 when you put all your gear in it? Gear for 3 days is basically the same as gear for 7 days; you're just bringing more food/fuel.

I can go 5 days with a Woodsman (~3500ci) into September in CO. After that, cold weather gear and different shelters puts my bag with pockets over 4400ci for the same duration hunt.

OP
D

doublebow

FNG
What is the weather going to be like? What's your tent/sleeping setup? Weapon? Extra clothing? Cooking with a stove or going with a cold food option? Carrying a tripod & spotter? How much room is left in your 5200 when you put all your gear in it? Gear for 3 days is basically the same as gear for 7 days; you're just bringing more food/fuel.

I can go 5 days with a Woodsman (~3500ci) into September in CO. After that, cold weather gear and different shelters puts my bag with pockets over 4400ci for the same duration hunt.
Mid September Mild weather. Bivy tent, 15 degree bag, air pad. Archery, I usually take a thin jacket and extra socks. cook with a stove, No tripod or spotter. I'm pretty stuffed in the 5200 when packed for 6 days.

I was hoping i could go at least 4 days with the 3500. I can go cold food or build a fire to cook if needed.

WTFJohn

WKR
4 days should be doable; are you already using compression sacks for everything? Sea to Summit eVent bags are great stuff sacks for sleeping bags; I'll typically carry my sleeping back strapped underneath my bag in an eVent bag for the hike in/first few days until I set up camp or eat enough food to make room inside the bag. Just remember not to toss your backpack down into sharp stuff while the sleeping bag is on the bottom; the stuff sacks are pretty tough but not indestructible.

Jetboils and Windburners are great but take up a lot of space; last year I switched to a pocket rocket that fits into my titanium cup with a can of fuel and a bic mini, halving the size of my cook kit. The little things will add up too; don't forget game bags/kill kit, water storage and purification, first aid kit, head lamp, etc... Just go as small & lightweight as possible while staying strong enough to last.

Top to bottom, left to right: Q-Core air pad, SOL bivy, reactor liner (usually augmented with the woobie in pic 2), Aeros pillow, Paratarp, cook kit, stakes
jO7lO0R.jpg

20* bag in eVent bag, woobie compresses down under pressure to ~1/2 it's volume
47i9Zzs.jpg

Taurus

FNG
+1 on the event bags. Always had a hard time justifying spending money on a bag inside a bag but it was worth it.

John, how are you using the SOL bivy in the pic above? Is it just for emergencies?

WTFJohn

WKR
+1 on the event bags. Always had a hard time justifying spending money on a bag inside a bag but it was worth it.

John, how are you using the SOL bivy in the pic above? Is it just for emergencies?

I use the bivy sack + Reactor (+ woobie when needed) for summer/early fall trips when the weather is going to be pretty good, but I'm still good if it rains or the wind really starts blowing. I've got a Cimarron tipi and I will sometimes use the bivy in there to counteract condensation issues late season (along with making my bag warmer).

OP
D

doublebow

FNG

I will probably need to get some event bags.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Putting everything in stuff sacks leaves a lot of wasted space in your bag. To the OP. The 3500 with lid will be pretty close to the exact size of your 5200. Anything you are packing now will still be packable then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Check out the EXO YouTube page and watch the "what's in my pack" videos. You can easily do what you want with the 3500.

Is your current pack an Icon? If so you could get the Exo 5500 and still see about half the weight savings and not worry about pockets, compression bags, or attaching gear to the outside. Just something to think about.

My first high end pack was a Kifaru and I got the smaller High Camp (4800) bag with it. Staff at Kifaru politely tried to talk me into the larger High Camp bag (I think maybe 6200 or 6800?) as it was only a couple oz. weight penalty. 2 seasons later I went with a larger bag. Running a SO Fortress 6300 these days. Its huge when full (seems a lot bigger than similarly sized Kifaru) but simply cinches down when I don't need the space.

Just food for thought. Have fun and enjoy whatever you end up with!

OP
D

doublebow

FNG
Is your current pack an Icon? If so you could get the Exo 5500 and still see about half the weight savings and not worry about pockets, compression bags, or attaching gear to the outside. Just something to think about.

My first high end pack was a Kifaru and I got the smaller High Camp (4800) bag with it. Staff at Kifaru politely tried to talk me into the larger High Camp bag (I think maybe 6200 or 6800?) as it was only a couple oz. weight penalty. 2 seasons later I went with a larger bag. Running a SO Fortress 6300 these days. Its huge when full (seems a lot bigger than similarly sized Kifaru) but simply cinches down when I don't need the space.

Just food for thought. Have fun and enjoy whatever you end up with!
Yes my current pack is an icon pro 5200. I did notice that the exo 5500 is only 4 oz different than the exo 3500. Sometimes i dont use bags or sacks for my sleeping bag and tent. I put my tent in the long side pocket and put my sleeping bag in the main compartment. This saves a little weight.

rm06

WKR
I have an older SG Sky 5100 that I use for 5-day stretches. I'm always looking for ways to pack more efficiently, I've ditched the various bags and sacks as much as practicable - difficult for me because I'm a fairly neat and organized guy. I pack food (in Ziploc bags/day), sleep gear, water and food prep, kill kit, possibles bag and wearable insulation.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bigger pack can always be cinched down... I always error on the large size when choosing packs. Never know what a future adventure might entail.

Jimbob

WKR
Is there a target total weight for all your gear and pack, you are trying to hit?

As light as I can afford. I do not try to hit an overall pack weight really. Instead, I try to only bring what I need and have each item as light as possible. I accomplish that by researching the heck out of each item and seeing what is out there and getting an idea of price, weight and function. Number 1 it needs to flat out work. Then I look at the best compromise between price and weight. If I scrutinize everything that goes in my pack then the total weight will take care of itself.