Backpacking air pump(s)

I got an ad on Instagram a while back for an ultralight, rechargeable air pump for backpacking air mattresses.

I would like to look into ordering one from them or something similar, but I truly don’t remember the brand. It was extremely small, white cylindrical air pump with exchangeable tips. I think they were saying it was around 3 oz.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about? Or does anyone have experience with any pumps like this? Brand suggestions?

It seems interesting to me to be able to just plug into my sleeping pad and let it fill itself, while I set the rest of camp up or cook dinner, with not much of a weight penalty compared to a manual “pump sack”.

bj00pb

FNG
I saw the same insta-add a while ago and looked into it one night. I found some on Amazon that seemed to do the same thing. I don't remember the exact brands but there were a bunch.... try the search in Amazon, it gave up plenty of options and reviews. I know this didn't answer your question, just my 2 cents... good luck!

OP
That’s three votes for flextail gear. Looks like mostly positive reviews on Amazon. I think I’m gonna try it out, I will try to remember to circle back after I use it for a season and leave a report!

@208backcountry Andrew Skurka posted something on Instagram about how one of his clients took one on a trip. If you're not familiar, he's an ultralight backpacker that has seemed to gain some notoriety. Anyway, he said people made fun of this person at the trailhead for deciding to pack such a 'luxury,' but the trip was cold and rainy and this person used it to stoke a fire each night and was hailed a hero by the group. That was endorsement enough for me to spend $30 or whatever they are. I use mine car camping for the Thermarest and to get the fire rolling.

OP
@208backcountry Andrew Skurka posted something on Instagram about how one of his clients took one on a trip. If you're not familiar, he's an ultralight backpacker that has seemed to gain some notoriety. Anyway, he said people made fun of this person at the trailhead for deciding to pack such a 'luxury,' but the trip was cold and rainy and this person used it to stoke a fire each night and was hailed a hero by the group. That was endorsement enough for me to spend $30 or whatever they are. I use mine car camping for the Thermarest and to get the fire rolling.
That is a great idea!! Will be nice to have one in the tipi. I don’t know what there is to dislike, if it functions as advertised.

I will have to weigh my pump sack, and I realize some folks don’t carry one, but I doubt it is much more than 1-2oz penalty for me. To me the little bit of time saved while setting up camp, is worth it to me.

WA209

FNG
Ive got the flextail gear one…. It survived a barrage of summer camping and fall hunts. The only downside I can spot is that it’s a noisy little bugger.

OP
Ive got the flextail gear one…. It survived a barrage of summer camping and fall hunts. The only downside I can spot is that it’s a noisy little bugger.
How loud we talking? Which size do you have? there is a few different sizes (all under 6 oz), wondering if that has an impact on noise?

Can anyone else weigh in on noise?

WA209

FNG
I think mines 3 oz. it’s not as loud as a cell phone ringing. But if your camping close to animals it’s a very unnatural sound if there’s no wind cover.

OP
It’s noisy. Like a dust buster I’d say.
This noise thing has me kind of worried... I definitely try to keep a quiet camp. I wonder if I could figure out a way to use my puffy or something to build a little tent around it to muffle the sound without cutting off airflow. I think I’m gonna buy it and see what I can figure out.

I’ve spent way more than $30 on other pieces of gear that didn’t work out... I figure it’s worth a try anyway

How big are your air mattresses? Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong thing and you are using those huge 8” thick mattresses in base camp. Seems like a wasted 3 ounces otherwise. Definitely not trying to tell you what to do, just presenting an alternative. Use your lungs, it takes me about 1 minute without the pump sack that came with my pad. Even less with the pump sack. For the amount of actual use you’ll get out of it (once per day if you move camp every day) vs the amount of time you’ll spend carrying the extra 3 ounces (every step you take) I can think of handier luxury items. To each his own though.

This noise thing has me kind of worried... I definitely try to keep a quiet camp. I wonder if I could figure out a way to use my puffy or something to build a little tent around it to muffle the sound without cutting off airflow. I think I’m gonna buy it and see what I can figure out.

I’ve spent way more than $30 on other pieces of gear that didn’t work out... I figure it’s worth a try anyway

My pump sack works pretty good. That’s what I backpack with. If you’re not using one you might try that before packing in one of these.

OP
My pump sack works pretty good. That’s what I backpack with. If you’re not using one you might try that before packing in one of these.
That’s what I’ve been doing, was thinking the pump might simplify that process a bit, allowing me the ability to finish setting other parts of camp up while the pump fills the air pad for me. It’s only a couple minutes, but I figured since the weight was about the same, it would be slick.

If this little electric pump doesn’t work out, I’m thinking about building a massive pump sack that I can use to fill up my pad in just a couple pumps.

I already carry a Stone glacier load cell dry bag on every trip, I like it’s massive size, I can basically pack my entire camp in it with plenty of room for stuff to move around and pack nicely inside my pack. It is easily 3-4 times the size of my thermarest pump sack. I may just sew and seal the adapter piece from my thermarest pump sack onto the Stone Glacier sack to make a souped up, giant pump sack. Of course, I have to see if the Stone Glacier hold air, if not I may trade it for some other giant dry sack, to build the Frankenpump sack

Adding another electric gizmo (to me) isn’t simplifying things. How many uses will you get off of one charge? If you’ll need to carry more milliamp hours to charge it, add that to the 3 ounces. Will it turn off when your pad is full or will you have to keep checking on it? Is there potential for it to damage your pad by over inflating it?

Again, not trying to tell you what is right for you. These are just some things that come to mind.

OP
Thanks for pointing out some things to test for when I get it. I know there are certain implications to be had with ALL electric gizmos, and realize that Amazon retailers don’t always advertise reality.

I should be clear, and let it be known to any roksliders following the thread that I will be testing it extensively at home before I end up in the backcountry with it.

They are advertising 2.8oz in a rechargeable unit, including the battery. I do need to weigh my pump sack to see what the true cost is gravity-wise, but I’m assuming pretty negligible.

They are claiming 6-8 fill ups per charge. Again, will be testing prior to use.

I should also point out that failure is pretty inconsequential, considering I do plan on bringing my lungs to the backcountry.