Backpacking air pump(s)

OP
That SG load cell will absolutely hold air as good as my Thermarest pump sack. That’s a good idea.
I’m kind of growing to like that idea better than the flextail, especially depending on the noise factor. Nice thing is I’d technically be losing some weight, vs gaining it. Again, we are only talking an ounce or two either way but... “ounces make pounds” lol

Last edited:
OP
Do you think they are worth carrying around all day? A right lung weighs 16 ounces! Maybe just bring the left one (it’s lighter) and leave the right as a backup in the truck?

🤣
I definitely have been in the hills with people who I think might have cut some weight by not bringing a pair of balls. :ROFLMAO:

MattB

WKR
Themarest makes a battery powered pump that is 2.3 oz (not sure if that includes battery weight). That is one of the few luxury items I carry - along with a lightweight blow-up pillow.

And I only have my right lung so leaving it at the truck is not an option.

OP
Themarest makes a battery powered pump that is 2.3 oz (not sure if that includes battery weight). That is one of the few luxury items I carry - along with a lightweight blow-up pillow.

And I only have my right lung so leaving it at the truck is not an option.
How loud is the thermarest pump?

Backyard

WKR
When I'm packing in, I try to make sure as much of the gear that I carry has multiple uses. My pump sack doesn't just get rolled up and stuffed in, it also doubles as a stuff sack for camp essentials in my pack.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I have the thermarest one. Takes a few minutes to fill up my regular wide xtherm mattress. Honestly if I wasn't worried about mold/humidity inside my mattress I'd just blow it up with my lungs.
I find it super tedious to use the sack that comes with the thermarest to inflate it, it takes forever. So I use the little pump and set up the rest of camp while it inflates.

OP
our ideas of backpacking are different. I cut my toothbrush handle in half to save weight lol.
I get what you’re saying, but I am really having trouble seeing much of a weight penalty vs a normal pump sack.....

maybe you aren’t carrying a pump sack either, but in that case, I commend you you!

Also wondering what options you’ve found for ultralight tampons?

LOL FYI I’m just messing with you

If you aren't using your mouth or a squeeze bag...you're not a serious backpacker. Ounces add pounds, pounds shorten your range and weaken your body. Things that are unnecessary stay at home. Common sense dictates this.

LandYacht

WKR
Go for it. I use mine for my air pad and to stoke my wood stove in my tent.

I have the thermarest one, and it it sounds like a bunch of bees while working. If you are close enough to animals for them to hear it, you would be close enough to animals for them to smell you. You already know which one will scare them first.

I’ll take the label of “not a serious backpacker” while enjoying my camp further from the trail head than the “serious” ones. This pump will have very little, to no bearing on your ability to hike further. Fact.

If you are still worried, take a leak before you leave the trailhead. You’ll drop more than 3 ounces, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
If you aren't using your mouth or a squeeze bag...you're not a serious backpacker. Ounces add pounds, pounds shorten your range and weaken your body. Things that are unnecessary stay at home. Common sense dictates this
If you aren't using your mouth or a squeeze bag...you're not a serious backpacker. Ounces add pounds, pounds shorten your range and weaken your body. Things that are unnecessary stay at home. Common sense dictates this.
To a lot of folks, common sense would dictate skipping the mountain hunting altogether, since it also “weakens your body”.

You came onto a post about electric backpacking air pumps, to come contribute a worthless virtue signaling comment on how much more serious of a backpacker you are then me, because you would never carry the extra ≈1 ounce of an electric pump vs a pump sack. In my original post (which was asking for first hand experience with the electric pumps) I mention the weight penalty. I’m assuming you have first hand experience with the pump, that you failed to mention???

I’m also assuming that since you're so serious, that you would never carry a tent since a tarp is so much lighter. Have you remortgaged the house for the lightest and tightest sleeping pad and quilt yet? Are you cutting off all tags and zipper pulls on every piece of gear? Have you made the switch from boxers to briefs? Have you removed all food from its factory packaging? A gps weighs much more than a map and compass.... may need to look into sizing down to 8x32 binos if you haven’t already, and definitely leave the tripod and spotter at home......

And after all that, it still begs the question, how are you finding the back strength to carry the extra weight in tampons?

I assure you, I jest, but I think you get my point. There are plenty of places to make up for an ounce, and I do understand that attitude is slippery slope.

I’ve been there done that with carrying extra weight, years ago on my first trip into the backcountry, I brought over 60 pounds on my back (and it was only 3 days). I’ve since cut weight in a lot of places, and learned some of them weren’t worth it... I’ve come full circle like most “serious backpackers” eventually do. I’m fully capable of deciding what will and will not go in my pack, I came here to ask for first hand accounts with a product. Then, further, when I receive the product I will test additionally to decide whether that ounce is worth it to me.

Ounces make pounds, keyboards make warriors.

sneaky

"DADDY"
To a lot of folks, common sense would dictate skipping the mountain hunting altogether, since it also “weakens your body”.

You came onto a post about electric backpacking air pumps, to come contribute a worthless virtue signaling comment on how much more serious of a backpacker you are then me, because you would never carry the extra ≈1 ounce of an electric pump vs a pump sack. In my original post (which was asking for first hand experience with the electric pumps) I mention the weight penalty. I’m assuming you have first hand experience with the pump, that you failed to mention???

I’m also assuming that since you're so serious, that you would never carry a tent since a tarp is so much lighter. Have you remortgaged the house for the lightest and tightest sleeping pad and quilt yet? Are you cutting off all tags and zipper pulls on every piece of gear? Have you made the switch from boxers to briefs? Have you removed all food from its factory packaging? A gps weighs much more than a map and compass.... may need to look into sizing down to 8x32 binos if you haven’t already, and definitely leave the tripod and spotter at home......

And after all that, it still begs the question, how are you finding the back strength to carry the extra weight in tampons?

I assure you, I jest, but I think you get my point. There are plenty of places to make up for an ounce, and I do understand that attitude is slippery slope.

I’ve been there done that with carrying extra weight, years ago on my first trip into the backcountry, I brought over 60 pounds on my back (and it was only 3 days). I’ve since cut weight in a lot of places, and learned some of them weren’t worth it... I’ve come full circle like most “serious backpackers” eventually do. I’m fully capable of deciding what will and will not go in my pack, I came here to ask for first hand accounts with a product. Then, further, when I receive the product I will test additionally to decide whether that ounce is worth it to me.

Ounces make pounds, keyboards make warriors.
You could have Bruce show you the pic of his hammock setup tied off to a telephone pole

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
My wife got me one of the NeoAir ones as a stocking stuffer. Haven't tried it out yet. I probably wouldn't have gotten one on my own, but because she got it for me I'm going to use the heck out of it. I will tell her how awesome it is and how I'll never go without it. Always good to have things like that to say to her when I get home from a long trip!

Are you cutting off all tags and zipper pulls on every piece of gear?
Yes 🤔
Have you made the switch from boxers to briefs?
Kind of 🫣
Have you removed all food from its factory packaging?
Most of it 😳
A gps weighs much more than a map and compass....
I think… 😬
may need to look into sizing down to 8x32 binos if you haven’t already, and definitely leave the tripod and spotter at home......
I might just… have a problem 🤩
🤣 good post 👍

Last edited: