Inverter for air mattress pump

CorbLand

WKR
We have one of the big air mattresses that sit ~20 inches off the ground but the little pump that plugs into the cigarette outlet doesn’t have enough to fill it reliably. The mattress has a built in, 120V pump so I need to get an inverter that I can hook directly to the battery of the pickup and plug it in. The hitch is, I don’t know shit about electricity.

Pump says 110-120V, 60Hz, .65A.

What size of inverter would I need to run this? Any particular brand that you would suggest? Other options?

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
I bought a cobra for that exact reason. I picked it up at Sportsman's for $70 or so. That was 4-5 years ago so not sure what they run now. Should easily cover the amperage. image.jpg

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
I bought a cobra for that exact reason. I picked it up at Sportsman's for $70 or so. That was 4-5 years ago so not sure what they run now. Should easily cover the amperage. View attachment 567312
I was looking at this one but wasn’t sure if it would be enough to run what I need. Doing the math comes out at 78 watts so I would guess so.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
800 watt should do it. Some brands of power tools make an inflator that works on 18-20volt batteries. That might be a more convenient and affordable option if you already have a few batteries.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
800 watt should do it. Some brands of power tools make an inflator that works on 18-20volt batteries. That might be a more convenient and affordable option if you already have a few batteries.
I work at Sportsmans so that 400 watt I posted is pretty cheap. I only have one drill and one battery so that option wouldn’t be as appealing as an inverter but I will look into them.

87TT

WKR
Go to harbor freight and get a 1000 watt inverter, Then you could use it for other stuff as well.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Go to harbor freight and get a 1000 watt inverter, Then you could use it for other stuff as well.
I am trying to think down the line if there is anything that I would need to run other than this pump but can’t think of anything.

lights. the one thing you always want when you're in the dark lol. any time im camping I bring an extension cord and lights for the site. portable ice maker if you want to get fancy lol.

hunterjmj

WKR
I am trying to think down the line if there is anything that I would need to run other than this pump but can’t think of anything.
My inverter sits on the shelf unless I pump up the mattress. Thought maybe it would come in handy some day but it hasn't.

cnelk

WKR
This is my 100w solar power supply for my cabin.
I use a 400w inverter to run lights and 12v water pump.

I also charge my power tool batteries with it.

IMG_0936.jpeg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I work at Sportsmans so that 400 watt I posted is pretty cheap. I only have one drill and one battery so that option wouldn’t be as appealing as an inverter but I will look into them.
Generally inverter ratings are a theoretical max not a constant power level so a 400 is really 250-200 for continuous power output.

87TT

WKR
I have four big 6 volt batteries hooked up to the solar on the roof of the RV with 3000 watt pure sine inverter. I run the toaster or coffee pot or microwave with it. can use it for the TV and DVD player too. Most of the inverters out there are modified sine wave and won't run certain types of loads.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
lights. the one thing you always want when you're in the dark lol. any time im camping I bring an extension cord and lights for the site. portable ice maker if you want to get fancy lol.
We have a portable AC from our old apartment and I told my wife one day I am going to get a generator and put it in our tent for the early season hunts.

gumbl3

WKR
Just a thought, but grab one of those portable power supply boxes like a Jackery. They have a built in inverter and then you also have electricity for running some small LED lights, charging a phone etc

We have one of the big air mattresses that sit ~20 inches off the ground but the little pump that plugs into the cigarette outlet doesn’t have enough to fill it reliably. The mattress has a built in, 120V pump so I need to get an inverter that I can hook directly to the battery of the pickup and plug it in. The hitch is, I don’t know shit about electricity.

Pump says 110-120V, 60Hz, .65A.

What size of inverter would I need to run this? Any particular brand that you would suggest? Other options?
If your pump is rated in amps, and your inverter is rated in watts, you'll need to do some math to convert one of them.

Here's the formula - A x V = W
.65 amps x 120 volts =78 watts

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind that not all inverters are created equal. Most cheap inverters will generate a "noisier" AC output which some electronic devices will not like. Lights are honestly better run on the DC power these days anyway.

Rich M

WKR
They have AA and D pumps at walmart for like $20 that will inflate those air mattresses. They’re in the camping section and will heat up a bed of coals good too.