Bad taxidermy or high expectations?

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
For reference, I've already decided to use a different taxidermist in the future because these guys didn't really do any of the requests we asked for. However, this has me worried they also did a bad taxidermy job but I may just be overthinking it and wanted opinions from others who have more taxidermy experience. My only other reference is a buck done in the 40's or 50's.

Also, I already asked them about my concerns and have yet to get a response.

Ears: this is really my biggest issue. The ears have entire sections with no hair on them. Also, it looks like they didn't cover the plastic liner. On my reference buck, if you get up close you'll be able to see through the hair but on this one it's noticeable from a distance. I'll include a picture of the ear in the field also.

Antler and hair: small nit pick but it looked like they didn't fit up the hairline into antlers very well.

Seam: the curvyness to the seam is 100% on me. I cut it bad in the field. However, is it normal to be this noticeable? On the wall it's not a big deal. Just trying to understand if it's normal.
20230808_172824.jpg20230808_172747.jpg20230808_170942.jpg20230808_165532.jpg

grfox92

WKR
How does it look hanging on the wall?

Can you tell with the ears when its hanging? Mine all have some hair in the ears but I know ears are one of the hardest things to get right on a deer mount.

With the antlers, again, is it noticable from the ground when the deer is hanging?

All of my mounts are sewn up the back like that, but you can't see it when it's hanging, so I never thought twice.

When I evaluate a mount, I want to look at it hanging on the wall and step back 10 feet. I've never got close to any of my mounts and looked at the fine details like you are mentioning. Not trying to dismiss your concerns, but I think how it looks hanging is what's important.

How much did you pay for the mount?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
My only deer mount has ears I think are only slightly better than that. Really disappointed me, the taxidermist is great and the other mounts I have from him are great but the deer I spent a bunch of money on just has these poorly done ears.

I think its totally acceptable to have really high expectations especially with the price of taxidermy and if the other work you’ve seen from them is really good

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
All of my mounts are sewn up the back like that, but you can't see it when it's hanging, so I never thought twice.
Things like the stitching in the back are where truly exceptional taxidermists separate themselves from the rest. Here's a south Texas buck with incredibly short hair. That mount is nearly 20 years old and gone through a couple moves. The stitching line is imperceptible.

A buck with a coat like OPs even a decent taxidermists should be able to hide the line better than in those pics, even if the hunter butchered the skinning job. 1000005492.jpg1000005494.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
How does it look hanging on the wall?

Can you tell with the ears when its hanging? Mine all have some hair in the ears but I know ears are one of the hardest things to get right on a deer mount.

With the antlers, again, is it noticable from the ground when the deer is hanging?

When I evaluate a mount, I want to look at it hanging on the wall and step back 10 feet. I've never got close to any of my mounts and looked at the fine details like you are mentioning. Not trying to dismiss your concerns, but I think how it looks hanging is what's important.

How much did you pay for the mount?

I'd say the ears are pretty noticeable at a distance. If I were ~50ft away I might not notice.

The wife was the one that wanted this deer done. We found a place that was highly rated in our area and they were middle of the road price wise at $800. Other quotes were anywhere from $650-900.

WKR
Like you said, the seam is on you. And I have some like that and I never ever notice after they are hanging. Use a different guy next time and don't sweat this one. Bet it looks great on the wall. Post a picture showing the whole mount.

grfox92

WKR
Post up some pictures of the mount on the wall.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
For reference, I've already decided to use a different taxidermist in the future because these guys didn't really do any of the requests we asked for. However, this has me worried they also did a bad taxidermy job but I may just be overthinking it and wanted opinions from others who have more taxidermy experience. My only other reference is a buck done in the 40's or 50's.

Also, I already asked them about my concerns and have yet to get a response.

Ears: this is really my biggest issue. The ears have entire sections with no hair on them. Also, it looks like they didn't cover the plastic liner. On my reference buck, if you get up close you'll be able to see through the hair but on this one it's noticeable from a distance. I'll include a picture of the ear in the field also.

Antler and hair: small nit pick but it looked like they didn't fit up the hairline into antlers very well.

Seam: the curvyness to the seam is 100% on me. I cut it bad in the field. However, is it normal to be this noticeable? On the wall it's not a big deal. Just trying to understand if it's normal.
View attachment 586306View attachment 586310View attachment 586311View attachment 586313
I used to do some taxidermy when I was younger. I wasn't awesome at it, but I do know a few things. Did probably 20 deer, a few antelope and a few elk. The hair missing could be from "slip". Hair slip happens when a hide begins to rot. I don't know how the hide was handled between you and the taxidermist, but it's something to consider. I had two different people try to drop off deer for me to mount and found it was already too late for the cape - the hair was starting to slip.

The wavy ear thing is either because you taxidermist rushed the job or is still learning. Getting the ears right takes some practice. I have a few out there like this one, but I also told people up front that I was still learning before they ever brought anything over for me to mount. Didn't want anyone setting their expectations too high. I won second place in the amateur division judged by Michigan Taxidermist Association one year - so I got ok at it before kids and work kind of got in the way of doing anymore of it.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I used to do some taxidermy when I was younger. I wasn't awesome at it, but I do know a few things. Did probably 20 deer, a few antelope and a few elk. The hair missing could be from "slip". Hair slip happens when a hide begins to rot. I don't know how the hide was handled between you and the taxidermist, but it's something to consider. I had two different people try to drop off deer for me to mount and found it was already too late for the cape - the hair was starting to slip.

The wavy ear thing is either because you taxidermist rushed the job or is still learning. Getting the ears right takes some practice. I have a few out there like this one, but I also told people up front that I was still learning before they ever brought anything over for me to mount. Didn't want anyone setting their expectations too high. I won second place in the amateur division judged by Michigan Taxidermist Association one year - so I got ok at it before kids and work kind of got in the way of doing anymore of it.
Fun fact, I actually wasn't planning on mounting this deer and stupidly stuck the head in an ice chest of ice on the drive home purely intending on keeping the meat ok until I could get the meat off. The ears however were never in the ice or water. When taking it to the taxidermist, I specifically mentioned how I had treated it and asked if there was going to be any slippage. The guy said no and I said if they find any when working on it to just stop. I'd rather have the parts back than a mount that's falling apart.

Overdrive

WKR
Hair around the bases can be normal for that time of year they really break the hair off shorter when they start to aggressively rub during the rut. You can pull the hair back and see the skin and tell if it's placed to the bases.

Hair slip inside ears is common and not always preventable even by the best, the better taxidermists just know how to cover it up. The eye soar is more that they didn't blend the color down with some light brown so it really stands out.

You can fix the seam if it bothers you, wet it slightly with water then take some felt and stretch and pin it tight for a week or so. You can also use hair gel to get it to lay down but try the wetting and felt first.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s see the whole mount at different angles

I hate my mounts being sewed all the way up the back, so I make a “Y” cut just big enough to get the skull detached from the hide.