Badland's vs Kuiu for best elk huntin pack

Lil dude

FNG
For western hunts it appears the 2 best packs may be Badlands or Kuiu or more specifically the Badlands 4500 and the KUIU 6000. What's the best do you all think? Elk and deer and possibly black bear. Mostly will hunt 10+ miles from TH is the plan. I was checkin out another forum (see link) and this guy Elk Reaper is suggesting the Badlands 4500 or maybe an Arcteryx...hmmmm. Looks like he goes deep and knows what he's talking about though. I was leaning towards the KUIU til I read that link. KUIU's got the most advanced pack system supposedly.

What's your thoughts. I want it to use as a daypack, carry 125 pounds too (if successful), light and strong. modular too. Scanning these forums trying to get my systems dialed. That reaper guy looks serious even on a treadmill with a pack (crazy shit) and looks like he may even wear it to bed in the other photo.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 1.55.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 1.55.46 PM.png
    833.6 KB · Views: 364
I may be feeding the troll here but just in case..."Elk reaper" is Aron Snyder of kifaru international, he has quite a few podcasts on youtube specifically on backpacks. Definitely better options on the market in my opinion, I would lean towards a used kifaru, mystery ranch or stone glacier over a kuiu, slumberjack makes some decent budget packs that I would look at before badlands.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
And so it begins.....
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watching and turning on email notifications for this one.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
The kuiu is cool and light but my buddy snapped the frame on his. I don’t think I would even look at a bad lands.

Mystery ranch
Kifaru
Stone glaicier

Jimss

WKR
Kuiu and Badlands would be towards the bottom of my list. I'd take a close look at Kifaru and Stone Glacier. 100+ lb loads will be agony with Kuiu and Badlands!

That guy knows nothing about elk hunting, who gives themself a name like that. He was probably trying to get in with under armour and ridge reaper. I bet he’s never carried 100# or hike 10 miles. Is he dipping in that pic, probably seem redneck from pacific northwest. I bet he is a very “talkative” guy, It would be nice to know, if he is still on the forum and we could get him to speak up, if he still has the badlands and what he thinks about it today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I nearly spewed my beverage all over my keyboard when I clicked on the pic...I bet the Elk Reaper would laugh his ass off at that one from the vault. Maybe I should dump my Kifaru and give Badlands another shot, I mean if the Elk Reaper says they are the real deal they must be.

TBHasler

WKR
I haven’t tried out any Badlands packs...but I’ve read plenty about issues that made them a no-go.
After trying numerous pack systems, I now run 2 Kuiu Packs 4000/5500. There’s plenty of haters on here of their system, but I just fits my build really well. Having said all that, I will not and do not load mine up with that much weight. I won’t go above 80-90#. If you’re committed to hauling 115#, I would definitely look elsewhere. I just decided that I would forego the ability to carry that much weight about 5% of the time I have my pack on to be really comfy/confident in carrying what I need 95% of the time. Open up your options and try as many as you can

OP
L

Lil dude

FNG
I have read that the old KUIU frames are brittle as well as problems with Badlands zippers in the past, but I have not found any recent criticisms of these lately so Im guessing they have them worked out.

I did check out that guy.....somebody above stated his name as Aaron or something and after searching found out he's a company rep for maybe several businesses (not sure). I don't know but he seems sincere in his other posts and those photos don't looked photoshopped, maybe he's connected to Badlands and just pushing them on forums and such. He looks like he's 6'4" and 240, I aint that big but not far off. I've been trying to find photos of the Badlands on someone's back and not just stock sales photo. This is one of the better photos I've found like that. I got a couple friends with some of the smaller daypack Badlands and they love them. Though they are mostly still hinting whitetails and not packing meat, just out to the tractor.

Anyhow those Kuiu frames do worry me a but so I may bite the bullet on the Badlands 4300 per his advice but Ill see what else surfaces here.

If whoever posted above knows if he's just a Badlands pack rep let me know ASAP.

Thanks