Barrett Fieldcraft update

Had called them a few weeks ago inquiring about the rumored 280 ai and was told that it had been shelved. Called again early this week as I had heard various rumors about Fieldcraft production and had noticed that fewer rifles seemed to be available at least on my online searches (was looking for a 30-06). The person on the phone I'd talked to said that they had very recently decided to suspend production of the Fieldcrafts until they can get caught up on the big ASR contract. He said they hoped to resume production sometime mid 2021. He said they are still shipping completed ones out so it shouldn't dry up overnight. Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone was on the fence about getting one soon. I made my move yesterday and should have mine delivered late next week! :)

Glad I directed my father to buy one before they stopped production then. He got his a few months ago and we've had nothing but great experiences with it.

SteveOtt

FNG
Thank you for confirming what many of us had suspected. Hopefully if/when they do resume production, the 280 AI is part of the plan.

When I spoke to them they had no plans on resuming development. I believe they’re even dropping some of the less popular rounds like the 7mm-08.

I thought I had it all figured out when I heard they had a .280ai in the works... maybe we’ll see one in a few years.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I directed my father to buy one before they stopped production then. He got his a few months ago and we've had nothing but great experiences with it.
+1
g.png

OP
Runningwater
I thought I had it all figured out when I heard they had a .280ai in the works... maybe we’ll see one in a few years.
Me too! The reality is that nothing on the receiving end will ever know the difference between the 280 ai I was hoping for and the 3006 I recently bought.
They are really nice rifles - they fit me very well.

I’m kicking myself for not picking one up I found on clearance for $1100!

At least I have one in 7-08 since that one they said will be discontinued. If anyone finds a 6.5x55 I’d be interested

OP
Runningwater
hope to have a range report in a few weeks. I got take it out for a quick shoot last week just to get it zeroed. My initial report is that with 180 grain hornady superperformance at about 2800fps it has a fair amount of snort! Wieght on my scale was a bit under 5lbs 7ounces naked, and a bit under 6 lbs, 6oz with talley lw mounts and vxi 3.5-10x40 scope.

SteveOtt

FNG
Guess it’s time to snatch up a fieldcraft in 30-06.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying a new T3X 06’ and having a gunsmith throw on a .280ai barrel but it looks like they might have some COAL issues with the heavier bullets..

Keith_PDX

FNG
Do you know why they stopped production? Where did you hear that? I was looking for a 7mm-08 and they're unobtanium.

OP
Runningwater
They told me they were trying to get up to speed on the big military award they got this spring. Said at the time (about a month ago) that the hoped to resume maybe mid 2021.

renagde

WKR
Any concerns about their warranty? It's only for 1 year and only to the first owner. They specifically say on their website the won't accpet claims by the second and subsequent owner. Not that I plan on using it, but i did just send in a rifle I've had for over 10 years for some warranty work because they had a lifetime warranty. Also, on most other rifles in this price range they have lifetime warranties.

I'm specifically thinking of buying a new used one. One that's never been fired, but it's been registered so I wouldn't be the original owner. What if it had accuracy problems or just simple problems that come up every now and then. I would have no warranty support and would have to pay for the repairs myself. What do you guys think?