Base layer questions

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m looking at purchasing a light weight base layer for warm temp hunting. I used sitka core lightweight previously and liked them. Last season would use these all season and then add first lite kiln and furnace on top depending on temp. My thought process first layer pulls the moisture off the skin and then second layer absorbs it. Am I using these right? And what do u recommend for lightweight base layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FL Wick is great for that, comes in a short sleeve also. If it's super hot I'll just wear my Kuiu 145 hoodie as the only layer but the FL Wick equivalent to that would probably be a lot more durable if I had one.

Honyock

WKR
In warmer weather when it's more about just moving moisture, I use Sitka Core LWT. In cooler weather when it's moving moisture and staying warm, I use Kuiu 120 LT merino or Kuiu Ultra merino 145.

For warmer weather - between 60 and 80 degrees for daytime highs - I wear a lighter weight wool/synthetic blend long underwear top and bottom. Either the Uni Qlo brand or Army/Navy surplus type. Grey, beige, or black are my preferred colors.

Synthetic will move moisture faster and dry faster. Wool will move moisture well but take longer to dry. However, wool will fight odor better, With the odor reducing properties of a lot of synthetics wool is not always a great option.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have an issue with odor as I only hunt one day at a time and can wash items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You got the idea. I don’t really use a baselayer bottom for wicking though, I use them for adding warmth on a chilly morning. My bottoms and top mid layers are kuiu peloton 97. For my base I’ve been trying a few different synthetic sun hoodies. If it’s not going to get over 40° then the 97 becomes my base layer.

You got the idea. I don’t really use a baselayer bottom for wicking though, I use them for adding warmth on a chilly morning. My bottoms and top mid layers are kuiu peloton 97. For my base I’ve been trying a few different synthetic sun hoodies. If it’s not going to get over 40° then the 97 becomes my base layer.
Can you tell me more about the 97, I've only used sitka and some black ovis wool.
I have a lot of sitka gear, including the ambient hoody, I'm wanting to make a move to kuiu so the peloton 97 and 240 even the 118 im interested in just don't know much about them other than there name. Thank you

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you tell me more about the 97, I've only used sitka and some black ovis wool.
I have a lot of sitka gear, including the ambient hoody, I'm wanting to make a move to kuiu so the peloton 97 and 240 even the 118 im interested in just don't know much about them other than there name. Thank you
The 97 is a traditional (non grid) fleece bonded to a very minimal face fabric. That minimal face fabric allows it to be very breathable (still not something for hot weather) and extremely light. The 240 is the opposite in that it’s face fabric is a heavier tight weave with the purpose of being highly wind resistant. The 118 is meant to be a next to skin wicking layer not really meant for warmth.

The 97 is a traditional (non grid) fleece bonded to a very minimal face fabric. That minimal face fabric allows it to be very breathable (still not something for hot weather) and extremely light. The 240 is the opposite in that it’s face fabric is a heavier tight weave with the purpose of being highly wind resistant. The 118 is meant to be a next to skin wicking layer not really meant for warmth.
Ok this helps, do you recommend kuiu peloton or the StrongFleece i know nothing between the 2,

I have found I prefer the lightest base layer I can get. It allows me to stay cooler when hot and it dries faster when used as part of a system. I really like merino and am a fan of the kuiu 120 lt. It is lighter than the wick from First lite. I find that it dries quicker than the wick does. The Sitka core lightweight synthetic dries really fast but doesn’t manage odor as well as the merino. I don’t have experience with the kuiu 118.

I don’t have any experience with the strong fleece

The peloton 97 is insanely light for the warmth but seems prone to getting pulls in the fabric. The peloton 240 is a nice garment and does resist the wind but isn’t windproof. I think the strong fleece would be my choice it I was concerned about durability, I have found it to be tougher than my peloton pieces.

Rd7fox

FNG
I prefer synthetic base layers unless I am camping and not able to shower daily. Then, it's merino light.
Either way, I go with First Lite and Sitka.
I've found that loose fitting basewear helps with getting rid of heat and moisture. I buy a size larger if it's a piece I've never had before to be sure it's not form fitting.
I normally don't sweat much though and I stay in good hiking shape. That's important in moisture management too.

Awesome help thank you I can't go wrong with any of kuiu base and mid layers in the peloton, wool sounds like the strong is great. Wow I guess I'm just going to just get some. Thank you all hunt hard