Need help with choosing new base layer

OP

243ackley

FNG
Thanks. I am looking for some 100 base layers. I have the heavier weight taken care of

I'll say this, I just bought new base layers recently and went with the 3.0 from Realtree and I thought they were stitched uncomfortably and also ended up super cold after all. I don't they're terrible, but they certainly didn't get the job done and i would go in another direction, probably looking toward the wool recommendations here.

flyguyskt

FNG
First lite AND smartwool are both my go to units both tops and bottoms. I like the First lite boot height under pants when i'm in the mountain terrain as I can keep my boots tight without the bunching up of the long wear!

Another first lite fan here. For my first layer I always run the Wick hoody and Obsidian pants. As well as wick gloves/neck gaiter/briefs. And some merino socks. That setup doesn't sweat you to death in the humid 80s&90s in Kentucky which is saying something

Another vote for FL merino. I wore the kiln top and bottom this year whitetail hunting. Only 1 season though, so I can't really comment on durability yet, but they were warm.

pirogue

WKR
Assuming you’ve passed Merino Wool 101, and know it’s not all created equal, there are some great manufacturers, and there are many weights available. In their early years, Kuiu merino wool items were great, as they still are, but they didn’t label them with the weight and fabric information like they do now. If you wasn’t a member of the ILGWU, you probably can’t pick up and older item and tell what the fabric weight is. But for a base layer, that I don’t care whether it is camo or not, I’ve been a buyer of Icebreaker for a long time.

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
Aclima woolnet would be the best option if you overheat and want to minimize the negatives of wool baselayers.

Patagonia capilene cool daily are synthetic and great for warmer weather. Infinitely better than even the lightest merino. They use HeiQ for odor control. I can wear the same sun hoody for days without it stinking.

Patagonia capilene thermal weight are also synthetic uses the same odor control and next to the fishnets are the best winter baselayers you can get imo. A quick google search under their former name “Capilene 4”, and you’ll see every other outdoor enthusiast from rock climbing, thru hiking, skiing etc. have raved about them for over a decade.

Last edited:

JRS3

FNG
Kuiu makes good base layers and I have various versions from them. In particular, I like the 120 weight. The heavier weights work well and the zip-offs can be handy. I feel like Kuiu has too many base options and complicates it a bit but they want to generate sales for niches.

Black Ovis’ layers work well and are less expensive than Kuiu, Sitka, FL, etc. I find myself wearing BO more when not hunting, more to reduce wear and tear save the others for hunting. ( personal thing I guess)

First Light is still what I compare everything else to. I have never noticed a major difference but FL knows merino and is good stuff. I like the 3/4 pants when wearing insulated boots or skiing. The thicker versions are just that and will keep you warm.