Need help with choosing new base layer

243ackley

FNG
I have using underarmour 3.0 as my base layer for cold days in Alabama. They are worn out and I don’t like how the get so ripe after just wearing them a few times.

Are there any good base layers that have scent control in them to eliminate the smell?

I know that the high end guys like Sitka advertise their stuff as reducing scent but do they work? I really don’t want to go to wool base layers unless I have to.

Thanks

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I quit using synthetics many years ago when I discovered merino wool. I typically backpack hunt and the merino keeps the odor way down, and I think it thermo regulates better but that may be in my head. If you're sensitive to wool on your skin, even merino can feel rough depending on the brand. To me, Kuiu itches. Icebreaker, Smartwool, and Ibex don't, so I use those brands. I haven't tried others. You can also pick off some quality merino wool at a good discount on sierra trading post.

Last edited:

IronM

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second the merino wool. Been using mostly FL, especially the furnace too. Love that for 2nd/3rd season elk in CO. I wear it all week and doesn‘t cause an odor problem at all.

Another vote for FL. The zip off bottoms are pretty handy. Hike in the dark in just pants, get to where I wanna set up and put the bottoms on without having to take your boots off. Zipper is super low profile and I don’t even notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new sitka merino wool is pretty good. Washable and dryable (in normal machine cycles) unlike normal merino, but wears like regular merino and doesnt funk up like a synthetic. Super comfortable too.

I have the 220 weight and it works great as a base layer in southern OK, but for real cold they have 330 weight and also a 110 weight.

Another option is mesh/net under another layer. That works well too, though it will funk up over the course of some days.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I'm partial to a lot of Ridge Merino's stuff. All my base layers are merino at this point, and I wouldn't consider anything else.

Lowg08

WKR
I know you said you didn’t want to do wool but just do your self a favor and buy first lite. The best out there.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck. I tend to find the 100 weights comparable to synthetics. If you run hot, you may want to try those first.

OP

243ackley

FNG
Thank you. I will get them tomorrow. Will probably buy a set of 100’s also

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
The ones I know are icebreaker, smartwool, ibex. If a company you're interested in doesn't share the wool density or call it 100s, they will typically have normal and heavier weight. I would try the normal/100s weight first and then add heavier weights after for layering if needed. I find merino doesn't wear as well compared to synthetics. My bottoms wear out faster than my tops. It's an acceptable tradeoff for me. I also avoid merino outer layers for this reason if you go down that route. Sierra has good deals on smartwool right now. I picked up a couple of pairs of bottoms a couple weeks ago.

TheHammer

WKR
I enjoy the sitka core over several others mentioned. I wanted to grab their new merino based line in a heavier weight, but it was not cold this year here in Wi.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have using underarmour 3.0 as my base layer for cold days in Alabama. They are worn out and I don’t like how the get so ripe after just wearing them a few times.

Are there any good base layers that have scent control in them to eliminate the smell?

I know that the high end guys like Sitka advertise their stuff as reducing scent but do they work? I really don’t want to go to wool base layers unless I have to.

Thanks
Forloh - 100% sourced and made in America - made with trizar

Men’s Deep Space Base Layer

Men's Deep Space Base Layer Bottom

Black Ovis merino is my favorite for tops. I probably have a dozen of their hoodie tops in different weights. I hunt in them but wear them skiing, winter running, ect. probally another 60 days a year. I much prefer black ovis merino tops to kuiu and smart wool for quality and price. For bottoms kuiu or first light zip off merino. If you hike and don't have zip off merino long johns do yourself a favor and get some.

Skied yesterday and today, low temp when we went out was 4 yesterday and 9 today. Warmed to mid-high 20’s.

Day 1: furloh deep space with smartwool merino over top; upper had a cabelas heavy weight zoned grid base with ambient hoody as mid layer
Day 2: eberlestock net with stone glacier helio over; upper had kuiu Pro Merino 200 quarter zip with ambient hoody midlayer.

Plan for day 3 is sitka core merino 220 with one or the other second base layers over; upper will be cabelas mid weight base layer with ambient hoody midlayer.

Outer layer is:
Bottom obermeyer insulated ski pants
Upper north face shell jacket.

I have not been cold, have not been too warm, the bases have done a great job wicking moisture away and keeping me very comfortable and not feeling sweaty.

Granted skiing is not the same as hunting, but there are definite periods of activity followed by periods of inactivity. I have skied in the past with different pieces as bases and felt sweaty, which leads to feeling cold.

Yes i know i have way too many base layers, but i do just want to point out each of the above mentioned base layers (and mids) works really well.