Base Layer Weight?

I mainly treestand or blind hunt here in Texas. I'm planning on a Elk hunt this year or next and I want to start getting some gear. I want to start with some good base layer pieces.. What weight of base layer should I be looking for? I'm looking at the Merino wool or Merino mix. I don't see me hunting out west past early November. but trying to do archery or early rifle if I can. I have some under armor type layers, but they generally produce a lot of sweat under my bulking stand hunting clothes. TIA

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
A pair of each- thin, medium weight and heavy weight would be ideal. You can't predict what the weather will be or the type of hunting you'll do. One day you may hike the whole day in 60° weather where a thin layer or no base layer would be best. The next day you may sit with little movement for many hours where a thick layer would be best.

I have and use both merino and synthetic. Merino is good for not stinking but it's fragile and expensive. Synthetic may stink a little more after a few days of wearing it but it is much tougher and I personally don't notice a difference in warmth.

I've found that wearing a synthetic compression top and underwear and then whatever base layer you want is the most comfortable and moisture wicking. That's my experience with western hunting the last 15+ years. It's taken a lot of trial and error, and sweating my cojones off because I'm wearing heavy base layers and end up hiking around all day.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
150g or less for merino base layers early seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. I'm going to take it one step further and say 150 or less all seasons. From there I vary my fleece weight and adjust outer layers. My baselayers function is the same at 60 degrees as it is at 0.

I don't mind a synthetic but I find myself feeling awfully sweaty in a synthetic... and I'm not a sweater. I've been experimenting a bunch and I like synthetic if keeping dry is going to be an issue in wet environments.

I think the whole "wicking" in polyester is vastly overstated. It only holds .3% of it's weight in water so it's not really drawing much away from your skin. I'm sure there is some capillary action but in my experience it needs to be extremely tight fitting in all areas to force perspiration through it and off your body.

Each has it's place.

Go medium for the greater temperature coverage.

Not much point in light as it won’t provide “that” much additional warmth. This is based upon my personal experience; when I need it it need it.

Heavy is overkill for a lot of conditions.

No matter what, get ones that you can zip on and off.

Depending on intended use, you may want to consider grabbing a down puffy for your legs.

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
A trick I learned was to just buy lightweight and mid weight base layers; then double them up if you wanted a heavyweight base layer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Zip offs in whatever you decide on. The convenience of that can't be overstated enough

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
Go medium for the greater temperature coverage.

Not much point in light as it won’t provide “that” much additional warmth. This is based upon my personal experience; when I need it it need it.

Heavy is overkill for a lot of conditions.

No matter what, get ones that you can zip on and off.

Depending on intended use, you may want to consider grabbing a down puffy for your legs.
I agree that heavy is overkill but disagree that medium is ideal. The intent of a baselayer is not necessarily warmth, it is moisture management. The heavier the weight merino the less breathable it will become and the more moisture it absorbs. Reality is a fleece or midlayer will provide substantially more warmth per weight (and dollar).

If you use a light weight merino then vary your fleece/midlayer weight you will have a more versatile setup IMHO.

I agree that heavy is overkill but disagree that medium is ideal. The intent of a baselayer is not necessarily warmth, it is moisture management. The heavier the weight merino the less breathable it will become and the more moisture it absorbs. Reality is a fleece or midlayer will provide substantially more warmth per weight (and dollar).

If you use a light weight merino then vary your fleece/midlayer weight you will have a more versatile setup IMHO.

I completely agree with this. I would use 150 - 170 weight all year long. You get your warm out of mid and insulation layers. base layer is only to move moister away from body which in turn make you feel warmer or cooler depending on the season. A heavy weight base layer even in winter defeats the purpose of a base layer.

I’d go with lightweight. Even when it’s cool to cold you’ll be generating a lot of heat while hiking. Then you add your insulation when you stop to eat and/or glass. In some ways synthetics are superior to merino. They tend to dry faster for one, they are also cheaper. The odor mitigation is a small thing IMO. No matter what you are wearing you’ll need to hunt the wind.