Bear Paw Wilderness Designs

Voyageur

WKR
As stated in a previous thread I'm looking for something smaller than my Kifaru 8 man for those times weight is a factor. One of the companies I've been directed to by others on this forum is Bear Paw Wilderness Designs. Most specifically I'm looking at their Luna and Hexa shelters. If anyone has info to share regarding the craftsmanship, durability, storm stability, etc. of these tents I would appreciate hearing it.
Thanks.

In my experience, he is a couple steps below most cottage manufacturers in terms of quality and customer service. I purchased a half liner from him a couple of years ago and the zipper blew out the first day I ever used it. Sent it back and he fixed it for free but I think the sewing quality and craftmanship of his stuff is adequate but I'm not going to personally buy another one. My brother also has one of his small shelters that I've handled but not actually used it and there are just a lot of seams that seem hastily done.

I will admit I don't know the first thing about sewing a shelter but I'll go with Seek Outside, MLD, Hyperlite, etc for my next tarp. Just my opinion

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
I have a simple, small tarp from Bear Paw that I’ve been using all summer. No complaints.
My partner bought a flat tarp.

15da0305aa4a9bb373445fd187f6009e.jpg

I've got a simple 8x10 flat tarp from him with zero complaints. Of course its gonna be hard to mess up a simple flat tarp but the seams look good and the tie outs are still going strong. I'd buy another tarp from him if I needed one.

Ive been using a Luna 6 for a few years now. Its been on several elk/deer hunts here in colorado and a sheep hunt in alaska. Never had an issue with it. Its easy to set up due to it being a square. Ive tried kifaru and SO, but the designs are a pain in the ass for me.

In my experience, he is a couple steps below most cottage manufacturers in terms of quality and customer service. I purchased a half liner from him a couple of years ago and the zipper blew out the first day I ever used it. Sent it back and he fixed it for free but I think the sewing quality and craftmanship of his stuff is adequate but I'm not going to personally buy another one. My brother also has one of his small shelters that I've handled but not actually used it and there are just a lot of seems that seem hastily done.

I will admit I don't know the first thing about sewing a shelter but I'll go with Seek Outside, MLD, Hyperlite, etc for my next tarp. Just my opinion
I completely agree with this. My first DCF shelter was a BPWD Pyratent 2, that I bought on the used market. It was a nice shelter to cut my teeth on when I decided to try DCF. However, having said that, I have since had quite a few DCF shelters from HMG, Zpacks, SO, LG, and MLD, and all of them were better built shelters. In my experience, the craftsmanship of the BPWD shelters (at least the one I had), is definitely subpar, compared to these other manufactures. Now, having said that, the BPWD shelters also tend to be less expensive than the other manufactures, so maybe you do get what you pay for afterall.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I've had a Pyratent for two years now. I had make it a bit bigger. Its held up great and I've been very happy with it.
Good to hear. Would you elaborate a bit on where and how you've used your BPWD tent? Thanks.

BigDog00

WKR
Good to hear. Would you elaborate a bit on where and how you've used your BPWD tent? Thanks.
I've used it in WY and CO. It hasn't seen any snow from what I can remember, but it has seen wind. This year has been bad and its been in 40+ mph wind. There was one night I thought it may blow away, but it did not. I've been happy with it.

tttoadman

WKR
I just got a BPW 1/4 hex net tent to go inside my Silvertip. I have only set it up in the yard. It seams to fit nice. All the finish I looked at seemed fine. The cool surprise for me was the pole pocket on the top in addition to the line loc to hang it with. Nicely done with line locs on all the tie backs.

Well John at bear paw came through in the clutch! He modded the golite Shangri la 5 floor with a zipper flap for my stove, modded the nest with a zipper to accept stove pipe, back door net and shelter , and installed stove jack. No snags in zippers, streamlined stitching and reinforced stress points. Seam sealed where it's supposed to be and even a weatherproof waterproof zipper on the floor for the stove which I wasn't expecting. Storm flap on outer shell nice too. Stove jack install was nice too.

Also sold me a custom Shangri la 2 nest which is way better than the stock. Money well spent

Attachments

• 8296.jpeg
    8296.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 48

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, he is a couple steps below most cottage manufacturers in terms of quality and customer service. I purchased a half liner from him a couple of years ago and the zipper blew out the first day I ever used it. Sent it back and he fixed it for free but I think the sewing quality and craftmanship of his stuff is adequate but I'm not going to personally buy another one. My brother also has one of his small shelters that I've handled but not actually used it and there are just a lot of seams that seem hastily done.

This is pretty spot on for my experience as well. I have a 6.5 x 9.5 Silpoly tarp from them. The first one that was sent to me had a quarter sized hole in it. I sent it back paying for return shipping. They sent me a second tarp with two smaller holes in it. I decided that the cost of return shipping was more than me just fixing it myself so that is what I did. The description of the seams being hastily done I also think is very accurate as they aren't very straight in parts. I hate to feel like I'm bashing an American made company so will say that for the weight and price after being repaired this tarp has worked well for me. My advice if getting one would be set it up immediately and do a through inspection.