Beating a dead horse....

Sharper

FNG
I apologize in advance for bringing up a worn out topic of discussion. Entry level bino's for late September Elk in Colorado. I'm not looking for someone to convince me on which glass I need or what $ point to purchase. I'm simply curious if a set of entry level 10x42 binos are adequate(I understand every one is going to have a differing opinion on "adequate"). I'm used to a cheap pair of 8x32's for whitetail here in Missouri where I'm not looking at anything more than a few hundred yards away. Since I see them mentioned regularly; how far can you see with a pair of Vortex Crossfire or Diamondbacks? Are either of those(or other similarly priced binos) absolutely no good or will they be sufficient for someone that doesn't know any better nor need any better the other 51 weeks of a year?

Wapiti1

WKR
The 10X42 Diamondback would work. I have never looked through Crossfire binocs of any ilk.

You'll be able to see elk a couple of miles away and know they are elk. You might be able to tell if they are bulls, but at say 2 miles, that will be tough. You'll be a bit limited at dawn and dusk. They won't have good enough coatings to get to the hairy edge of daylight like more expensive bins can. But you're talking 20 minutes of difference. Probably not critical in September.

They may not be comfortable to glass behind for long times, but will be fine for 15-30 minutes with breaks.

I'd personally look at Pentax (A or S series), Nikon (M5) or Minox (X-lite) for lower priced bins. I think they make better binocs than Vortex until you get to the Razor.

Jeremy

TaperPin

WKR
Here’s a typical Yellowstone situation: Dead buffalo, grizzly finished breakfast, wolves show up, wind is gusty. People gather and pull out their optics and have everything from Walmart specials to the latest swaro. Everyone can see the wolves out in the open in good light. The bear bedded down with just part of his head and shoulder visible and is waaaay out there. The cheap binos can’t differentiate the bear from a burned stump even in between gusts so they give up trying. The middle of the road binos can tell it’s a bear but without details - wind makes it real chore to pick out - if it wasn’t for someone pointing out where it was they’d never find it on their own. Some people are convinced the stump is the bear, but you hate to correct them and spoil their excitement. The top of the line can see it’s a bear and tell which direction it’s looking - you feel bad for kids with cheap binos that gave up so once in a while you let them look through yours. Literally, this happens dozens of times a day throughout the park.

Inexpensive is better than nothing, but they aren’t as much fun and you won’t see quite as many animals.

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
My younger brother uses a set of diamond backs in 8x42. They are fine for spotting something, not what you’d want to sit behind for hours but you want be doing that in September anyway.

You can get into some used Maven c series for that $300 range, pretty good step forward if you really plan to use them.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the Diamondback 10x42’s for the past 4 elk seasons and they’ve been adequate for me. One day I will upgrade to alpha glass, but for now these are good enough in my opinion. They are miles better than the $80 bushnells I used before.

OP
S

Sharper

FNG
The 10X42 Diamondback would work. I have never looked through Crossfire binocs of any ilk.

You'll be able to see elk a couple of miles away and know they are elk. You might be able to tell if they are bulls, but at say 2 miles, that will be tough. You'll be a bit limited at dawn and dusk. They won't have good enough coatings to get to the hairy edge of daylight like more expensive bins can. But you're talking 20 minutes of difference. Probably not critical in September.

They may not be comfortable to glass behind for long times, but will be fine for 15-30 minutes with breaks.

I'd personally look at Pentax (A or S series), Nikon (M5) or Minox (X-lite) for lower priced bins. I think they make better binocs than Vortex until you get to the Razor.

Jeremy
Awesome, thanks for the info!

OP
S

Sharper

FNG
I’ve used the Diamondback 10x42’s for the past 4 elk seasons and they’ve been adequate for me. One day I will upgrade to alpha glass, but for now these are good enough in my opinion. They are miles better than the $80 bushnells I used before.
$80 8x32 bushnells is what I'm used too so I figured it won't be hard to beat them, just want to make sure I'll have something that works, thanks!

TaperPin

WKR
If you literally would never use them at home, I’d buy at least a $200 used pair of Nikon Monarchs off eBay, go hunting, and sell them on eBay for what you paid. Free binoculars.

Just another example of average bino’s vs good bino’s…..My wife has 10x42 diamondbacks, I have 10x42 SLC’s, 725 yards away in a small opening on a dark timber hillside my wife says “ why is there someone’s tent over there in the middle of the timber?” I look with my bino’s and was just some grey blown down timber. If it would have been better lighting then she would have seen it better.

BBob

WKR
A buddy has killed something like 90-95% of the time hunting CO OTC early archery for the last 20 years and for quite a long time now he's used some Bushnell 10x42's. He doesn't take a tripod on these hunts. In most of the thick country you really don't need anything special. I couldn't do it but he does.

fmyth

WKR
I've found and killed a pile of elk/deer in AZ/WY w Vortex10x42 Diamondbacks. I only upgraded recently for deer hunting in the AZ desert where you spend all day looking through them.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've found and killed a pile of elk/deer in AZ/WY w Vortex10x42 Diamondbacks. I only upgraded recently for deer hunting in the AZ desert where you spend all day looking through them.
This ^^^^ It all depends on the hunt. Besides looking through them all day, clarity matters. For your purposes I would go 12x unless you are in the thick timber. Extra mag works.

Alpha glass? you probably don’t need it. Context is important.

For AZ deer, we talk about Alpha glass, and it doesn’t mean anything until you experience a grey ghost disappearing and reappearing only when you catch an ear wiggle, even though it is broadside and didn’t move.

People underestimate the value of Alpha glass where it is really needed. Other like me can overestimate it if the hunt doesn’t need it.

I have hunted elk in Oct and Nov in Colorado and that is a glassing game. I have killed because a buddy on a knob more than a mile away saw an elk 500 yards in front of me. He had good glass and an angle to pick him out. Was able to eventually walk me into the area until I could pick out antlers.

I have looked through the inexpensive bushnells a few times and have had the chance to use a pair of diamond backs the last couple years, the diamond backs are a lot better bino. If steady, I would be tempted to go 12x

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
If I’m getting dedicated western hunting binos I’d personally go with 12x. In that price range I like the leupold McKenzie or alpine better then the lower end vortex personally. Sometimes you can snag a good deal on some used mavens too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt5266

WKR
I live in Idaho and have been using 12x50 vortex viper hd and have loved them. Great all around binos. All I use now.