Beating a dead horse....

OP
S

Sharper

FNG
If you literally would never use them at home, I’d buy at least a $200 used pair of Nikon Monarchs off eBay, go hunting, and sell them on eBay for what you paid. Free binoculars.
Oh I’ll use them at home, it’s just that home doesn’t require anything crazy

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I think you're spot on with Diamondback 10x42s.

I've looked through two pairs of Crossfires and one pair of Diamondback HDs. Both pairs seemed extremely hazy and I wouldn't recommend them. I'd spend the little extra money to be able to see significantly better with the Diamondback HDs.

I know you didn’t mention them but I’d look at the Viper HDs as well. I have a set and really like them.

pirogue

WKR
I would rather buy used Swarovski EL 10X 42 than but new inferior glass. There are some good bargains on eBay now.-

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
In answer to your original question, yes entry level 10X42’s will be fine. I have a stable full of alphas because I love binoculars but I doubt that I see more animals than the guy with cheapos, I just see them better.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I have tested many sets of Diamondbacks in various powers and only a few Crossfires. I don't consider Crossfires even usable. Diamondbacks, however, are great binoculars for the money. The HD's are a little better than the classics, but not by much. In my experience, eastern hunting doesn't often involve extremely long ranges or extended periods of glassing. Hence, we can sometimes get by with lower end glass.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll answer this way.......for September elk bowhunting, sometimes I don't even take any bino's, and just use my RF monocular if I need to verify something. Other times I take my Kahles 8x32's. But for later rifle seasons, I want at least 10x. I'll use my Kahles 10x42's but many times would have loved having 12's or 15's. I've had 12 and 15 power Meostar's, but carrying them is more of a pain because of their size and weight.

OP
S

Sharper

FNG
In answer to your original question, yes entry level 10X42’s will be fine. I have a stable full of alphas because I love binoculars but I doubt that I see more animals than the guy with cheapos, I just see them better.
Thanks, this is really what I was interested in and it seems to be agreeable. Are there better binos? Absolutely, but it sounds like I'll be fine with something on the lower end for this one time application.

OP
S

Sharper

FNG
I'll answer this way.......for September elk bowhunting, sometimes I don't even take any bino's, and just use my RF monocular if I need to verify something. Other times I take my Kahles 8x32's. But for later rifle seasons, I want at least 10x. I'll use my Kahles 10x42's but many times would have loved having 12's or 15's. I've had 12 and 15 power Meostar's, but carrying them is more of a pain because of their size and weight.
Good to know, thank you!

atmat

WKR
You can often find used Maven C1 for <$300. They’re not alpha quality, but they are a bino you could comfortably use the rest of your life and not be disadvantaged.

That’s not much more expensive than Diamondbacks, but you’re getting a much better bino.

OP
S

Sharper

FNG
I have tested many sets of Diamondbacks in various powers and only a few Crossfires. I don't consider Crossfires even usable. Diamondbacks, however, are great binoculars for the money. The HD's are a little better than the classics, but not by much. In my experience, eastern hunting doesn't often involve extremely long ranges or extended periods of glassing. Hence, we can sometimes get by with lower end glass.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

If I’m getting dedicated western hunting binos I’d personally go with 12x. In that price range I like the leupold McKenzie or alpine better then the lower end vortex personally. Sometimes you can snag a good deal on some used mavens too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i have the mckenzies for my backups and disagree. i think the diamondbacks are much better. had a pair dumped them then my buddy got a pair and i was able to compare to the mckenzies side by side. diamondbacks are perfectly adequate.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
When all I had was Leupold Yosemite binos, I stopped carrying them because I did not think they where worth the weight. Upgraded to Zeiss Conquests and happily have them with me all the time.

So, for me, no, entry level binos are not worth it.

Wrench

WKR
On elk....a pair of Leupold 7x35 Yosemite bins would work fine. If you want to count tines at 500 in the timber....you'll need to open your wallet farther.

Id be much less worried about instant optical performance and more about how you feel after an hour behind them.