Beating a dead horse…

OP
Caleb777

Caleb777

FNG
I must resurrect this…it seems I’m incredibly indecisive. I had my mind made up on a Swarovski Z5i but am having second thoughts. Wondering if I would have enough travel to get to 500 yards with my .300WM with the 1” tube. How is it that there is no scope reliable in the backcountry game. Leupolds don’t track, vortex reticles are cluttered beyond all reasonable means, swaro is so expensive I don’t see many reviews, the same can be said for other high end European glass, Zeiss has been lacking in quality I read as of late…if a guy chooses the night force route, he has a scope that weights half as much as his rifle… is there not one scope for those who long for reliability, lightweight, and tracks accordingly.

woods89

WKR
I must resurrect this…it seems I’m incredibly indecisive. I had my mind made up on a Swarovski Z5i but am having second thoughts. Wondering if I would have enough travel to get to 500 yards with my .300WM with the 1” tube. How is it that there is no scope reliable in the backcountry game. Leupolds don’t track, vortex reticles are cluttered beyond all reasonable means, swaro is so expensive I don’t see many reviews, the same can be said for other high end European glass, Zeiss has been lacking in quality I read as of late…if a guy chooses the night force route, he has a scope that weights half as much as his rifle… is there not one scope for those who long for reliability, lightweight, and tracks accordingly.
There's a saying in the contractor world that "out of quality, affordability, and speed, you can pick two, but you'll never get all three". I think it applies to scopes as well.
I use a Nightforce Shv 3-10 and a SWFA 3-9 on my 2 rifles. I've been very happy with them. If they made the Shv in a ffp, mil/mil version it would be even better.

I would use a 30 oz scope long before I would dabble in lightweights I didn't trust.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Closest I've used in reliability and reasonable weight is the NXS 2.5-10 and SHV 3-10. About 20 ozs. but I trust them completely. I think their reticles though (MOAR and IHR) are not particularly good for hunting due to very thin lines that get lost easily on dark/busy backgrounds. The Forceplex would be my choice for typical hunting conditions. Also not FFP, but FFP reticles that work from low to high power have their own issues.

The Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 has caught my attention as about 24 ozs., FFP and initial review/reputation show good ability to hold zero. Bushnell LRHS2 is the same but slightly heavier.

I have used Swarovski Z3, etc. in the past and they are fine for what they are, but realize that these lighter weight scopes have very thin tubes so if the rifle takes a fall they are more likely to have trouble. I would also limit dialing with them as they really are zero set and forget scopes.

Hawkeye54

FNG
I was in your boat recently. Trying to buy a scope geared to hunting but capable of some long range shooting as well. I was set on the vx-hd line because i didn't want my reticle to look like a fully decorated Christmas tree, but in the end I found a good deal on a trijicon credo. I liked the zoom range and the reticle wasn't too cluttered like some others. Time will tell if I made the right choice or not
Did you end up liking your Credo? Currently looking for a new scope and the Credo looks appealing.

bmart2622

WKR
Did you end up liking your Credo? Currently looking for a new scope and the Credo looks appealing.
I literally just got my Credo in the mail today, waiting on rings to mount it up. So far I like it. I like a clutter free reticle and was a little worried about the reticle on the Credo but it isnt bad at all

Hawkeye54

FNG
I literally just got my Credo in the mail today, waiting on rings to mount it up. So far I like it. I like a clutter free reticle and was a little worried about the reticle on the Credo but it isnt bad at all
Let me know what you think. I’m between the Credo, Meopta Optika 6 & a Leica Amplus 6. @gr8fuldoug any recommendations?