Bergara b14 VS CVA Cascade

Eldis

FNG
Particularly referring to the Bergara b14 Wilderness Ridge SP and the CVA Cascade SB. Both in 308. But it’s okay if they are in other calibers. Just trying to see a comparison between the 2 if anyone has shot both of them. Wanting to see if the price difference is worth it. Right now I’m looking at CVA being about $300 cheaper. According to reviews they both have the same trigger. I know they are sister companies. Will primarily be hunting Whitetail within 400 yards. Thanks!

I had the B14 Ridge Wilderness (which is very similar) in .300 Win Mag and it was an absolute tack driver. With factory Sierra (pricey) ammunition it was shooting about .25” 5-shot groups at 100 yards. Yep, 1/4 MOA.

With the factory brake it had less recoil than my XPR 30-06..

The downside was that it was heavy, so I ended up trading it off.

I heard recently that the CVA’s may have Bergara barrels? If that is the case and if the CVA is lighter I’d go with that!

If weight isn’t an issue, the Bergara is a fantastic rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Eldis

FNG
weight shows: Bergara- 7.6 lbs CVA- 6.95 lbs. I asked customer support and they said this model does not have a Bergara barrel. Can I ask what you swapped to? I am looking for a 308 20 inches and under threaded (would rather it be 18) and under $1000

I traded it off for something unrelated but my go-to hunting rifle is my Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather MB in .308!

OP
E

Eldis

FNG
I had the B14 Ridge Wilderness (which is very similar) in .300 Win Mag and it was an absolute tack driver. With factory Sierra (pricey) ammunition it was shooting about .25” 5-shot groups at 100 yards. Yep, 1/4 MOA.

With the factory brake it had less recoil than my XPR 30-06..

The downside was that it was heavy, so I ended up trading it off.

I heard recently that the CVA’s may have Bergara barrels? If that is the case and if the CVA is lighter I’d go with that!

If weight isn’t an issue, the Bergara is a fantastic rifle.

What's your thoughts on the XPR? I was looking at getting the cascade or the XPR for the wife.

What's your thoughts on the XPR? I was looking at getting the cascade or the XPR for the wife.

I absolutely love it. With cheap Remington 165gr Cor-Lokt it shoots about 3/4 MOA at 100. Can’t really ask for more!

I’m still running the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 that came with it, but am currently looking to upgrade. Originally it was supposed to be “just an inexpensive hunting rifle” but it’s much more than that!

OP
E

Eldis

FNG
308? 16 or 20 inch barrel? I put some thought into getting that one for her but just never heard anything good about it.

OP
E

Eldis

FNG
I see. I like 30-06 too. That's what I currently hunt with. Browning pump.

I see. I like 30-06 too. That's what I currently hunt with. Browning pump.

I like 30-06 but prefer 308 or 270. Got a crazy deal with a discount plus a rebate so ended up in the $275 ballpark for the rifle and scope brand new. Wasn’t about to complain about the caliber :)

I’ve grown fond of the 30-06 since though so I’m glad to have one in the safe.

Tex68w

WKR
My Bergara Wilderness Ridge SP 308 with TBAC Ultra7 Gen 2 and Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 in Talley rings and rail came in at 9lbs 1oz or just under 8.5lbs without the can. Unless this will be your ULW mountain rifle I can't see how those numbers are a detractor in any way.

cVWtz6v.jpg

UNltydd.jpg

OP
E

Eldis

FNG
when you put it that way it sounds great. That’s a sweet looking gun!

Medved

FNG
Classified Approved
My brother in law recently picked up a CVA cascade and seems like it was pretty picky with ammo... he eventually sent it back for their accuracy guarantee and they gave him a completely new rifle

At the very least I think CVA has good customer service and they stand behind their products.

bnsafe

WKR
I have a b14 hunter and love it, it shoots lights out with most everything Ive stuck in it so far. I looked a ta cva cascade this year but passed after reading 3 straight reviews that they didnt get the moa accuracy. yes, they are bergara barrels, but I wonder if they are the exact same or more of a seconds barrel. I dont know, not saying i do, but its hard to find a review on a gun that doesnt say it shoots the best ever, and I found 3 in a row on the cascade that said it didnt. now, if your shooting deer at a 100 who cares.

Tex68w

WKR
A few more pics to help sway you lol. My only complaint about the Wilderness Ridge SP is specific only to the shorter SP models and that's the lack of the fluted bolt body. It provides no real world use beyond esthetics but IMHO it makes no sense for them to leave that off of this model when every other sub-model in the Wilderness Ridge line gets them.

XlRv46j.jpg

XO7nfsP.jpg

yMR1xz8.jpg

A few more pics to help sway you lol. My only complaint about the Wilderness Ridge SP is specific only to the shorter SP models and that's the lack of the fluted bolt body. It provides no real world use beyond esthetics but IMHO it makes no sense for them to leave that off of this model when every other sub-model in the Wilderness Ridge line gets them.

XlRv46j.jpg

XO7nfsP.jpg

yMR1xz8.jpg

Yeah I bought my Ridge Wilderness about 1 week before they switched to the fluted bolt. I was disappointed. Irrelevant now however.

Tex68w

WKR
Yeah I bought my Ridge Wilderness about 1 week before they switched to the fluted bolt. I was disappointed. Irrelevant now however.

Yea I might have mine fluted at some point in the off-season just for fun but it's purely for aesthetics.

OP
E

Eldis

FNG

XlRv46j.jpg

XO7nfsP.jpg

yMR1xz8.jpg
I got the Wilderness Ridge SP in yesterday. It has the fluted bolt and looks great! Plan on getting a scope mounted today.